We (family of 4 - 2 adults, 2 children - 8 and 13 yrs old) have just returned from a week's stay at the Sunny Coast Resort. The first apartment - a two bed on the 3rd floor- which we were initially given was very disappointing. It was dark and lacked cleanliness. We spoke to the receptionist and she immediately said that she would show us another room - she did not engage in any conversation with us and just took us to a room on the 4th floor. We were presented with a similar picture as the previous apartment:
The sofa was frayed and stained; there was food debris around the cooker and the sink area was very dirty. The toilet bowl was stained and there was rust in many areas of the en-suite bathroom. There seemed to be a lack of general cleanliness and maintenance in the apartment - there were stains on the bedroom carpet and the surfaces were very dusty.
We complained to the manager and our travel agency and eventually got moved to a one bed apartment on the 7th floor, which had been recently refurbished and was of a higher standard. We had been prepared to move to another hotel, if they couldn't move us as the room we were given was definitely not 4*.
It is important to note that some of the apartments at Sunny Coast are timeshare and I see that some reviews on here are from owners, who have been happy with their stay. We booked our stay through a travel company and we're glad that we were moved to a more comfortable, better standard apartment on the 7th floor with an amazing sea view.
Reception area of resort: Very modern and inviting.
Bedrooms and Bathroom area: Standard of 7th floor bedroom and bathroom was much, much better than those on the 4th floor - better attention to cleanliness and maintenance.
7th floor kitchen was modern and generally clean.
Village Square Restaurant: Fantastic food and the family (Carmen, Ramona, husband,and daughters) made you feel very welcomed. Food was made to order and nothing was too much for them. Comfortable chill out bar area also available.
Location: Resort is right near bus stop - very cheap and convenient way to explore the island. Pool area enjoyed by kids -can get a bit crowded in afternoon as also open to people not staying at the hotel.
Recommended: sightseeing bus tour- Mdina is worth a visit and if you get an opportunity, a meal at the Xara Palace is highly recommended. There are many boat trips to choose from - included will be your pick up from the bus stop.
Would return to Malta again, but not at this hotel as not sure what type of apartment you will be allocated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sunny Coast Resort and Spa is ideally located in one of Malta's most beautiful bays. The Resort offers an easy and relaxing experience and has its own Leisure Centre, situated in a separate area across the hotel by the water's edge together with its private beach, large outdoor swimming pool together with a children's pool, three jacuzzis, a heated indoor pool, sauna and massage rooms, squash court, games room and a fully air-conditioned gym. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Lastminute, Odigeo, Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sunny Coast Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunny Coast Hotel Qawra
- Sunny Coast Resort And Spa
- Sunny Coast Resort & Spa Malta/Qawra