“Please read before booking... the good, the bad and the ugly”
Review of Coral Hotel

Coral Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Bugibba B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2010

We travelled to the Coral Hotel for a week on an All Inclusive Basis, we had read the reviews before going and understood the plus and minus sides of the hotel - plus the cost was right!
We arrived and were greeted by a pleasant face who went through all the info with us and sent us on our way to the room on the 5th floor. The rooms are basic, they don't have a hairdryer or air con (even though it says they do!) but pleasant enough. We went down for lunch in the bar area to be served by the same woman on reception - seems that they do EVERYTHING!! Lunch was acceptable and the cold beer was rather nice.
To be honest, our first impressions were good, however as the week progressed things went downhill. The first thing that was noticeable was the ant infestation in our room (even in our beds) so we reported it to be given a bug spray and told to use it, this is did not work at all. But it soon became apparent that complaining in this hotel gets you nowhere.
I would have to say that without a doubt the worst thing about the hotel is the food. We went expecting a basic standard, but it was even below that.
The breakfast was inedible - I got stuck with cereal everyday whereas my other half was eating chocolate cake! The juice provided is powder orange and a pink one (not 100% what flavour) and the coffee I was not able to drink (and believe me I normally drink ALOT of coffee)
As there is so much to do on the island, we only had lunch 3 times - which consisted of sandwiches, burgers and pasta mainly. The pasta was lovely as was the burger but the rest was not the best. I ordered a toasted sandwich on my last day that was not even toasted! The service was terrible at lunch too. (but I will come back to that!!)
Dinner was edible and that is about it. Some things were lovely and some I would not feed to a dog.
STAFF - Some of the workers are friendly and approachable, however the remainder let them down. Charles the barman is lovely and will do anything, the housekeeping staff are amazing and one of the girls on reception is nice. The rest are sullen and make you feel like everything is a chore. There is one bar staff that made a very big issue about a bottle of red wine. Basically, he lied to the manager and said that I had been signing for drinks and giving them away to people. The truth was that I signed for 1 bottle that night. We did get an apology from the manager, but I must admit it made me feel very uncomfortable and I was insulted. Apparently its not the first time that the barman in question has done this - so watch out!!!!!!
CLEANLINESS - The one thing I cannot fault at all - amazing
OTHER BITS - They took 3 days to fix the toilet in the public area, the pool is pretty good, the lift stopped for working for 1 day, the internet does not work, the TV channels don't exist.
I had a great holiday with my partner and we met some great people. I loved Malta and would go back - but not to the Coral.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lourich30

Reviewed 26 March 2010

our reception was not very enthusiastic and we had to find our own way up to our room, so not a good first impression. The room looked alright but soon we discovered the drawbacks:
very inadequate reading lights
the balcony view was a brick wall
the beds were not comfortable, which meant we slept poorly
we had to pay for tea making equipment and I had to make a down payment for a hairdryer.
In the dining room the food was unattractively presented and worse than the food I cook at home.

The good points were:
good rooftop pool, which we couldn't use as too cold for swimming, but pleasant for lying in the sun when it shone.
It's only two doors up from an excellent cinema where I watched Alice in Wonderland in 3D!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We arrived courtesy of 'Mercury' pickup around 3 in the afternoon. No one to help with our bags Checked in and staggered up to the third floor to a frankly diappointing room. The balcony has no view (we were at the rear of the Hotel) and one stares into a 'Berlin Wall' type of construction.. The beds were old and when one turned over in them, it sounded like a Chinese orchestra striking up !
. On arrival we asked about tea making facilities. Not available until tomorrow we were told and they will cost £3.50 per day. You wil also have to pay for a t/v console and a deposit for a hairdryer. All pretty negative.
The food was just about acceptable( for me at least, but not for my wife) The breakfast was O.K. but the morning juice is Squash. On the plus side, the toaster works well although how to work it takes a bit of figgerrng out! Coffee (Nescafe) and tea are from a machine by the wall. I HATE Nescafe (devils brew) so no morning coffee for me!No fruit is served so we bought our own and ate it in the bedroom. The staff are friendly and the rooms are kept clean, but the Hotel is understaffed and the receptionist also serves in the bar.
We had to leave early for the airport but the taxi (due at 4.45 a.m. did not turn up until 5.30a.m.) Not sure if Mercury or the driver was to blame.
Alastair Craig
Folkestone,
Kent

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Went with my mother and 11 yr old child on an all inclusive basis. Hotel is suited for over 65's and British. The food on the menu is British and the lunch menu is more like a "kiddies menu", chips, eggs, cheeseburger, egg burger, cheese and ham toasties...I'm sure you get the picture. This is a small hotel with 40 rroms and the dinner menu is limited, but edible. There was no fruit on the menus. The weather was chilly therefore we needed heating in the rooms in the evening, however the system blew out cold air, eventually after 6 days of asking for the heating to be fixed, the engineer came and that evening we had heat, however the system made really loud gurgling noises and so we has to switch it off. Staff were very friendly, however the hotel is understaffed, with the receptionist doubling as the bar worker. There is no back to the hotel, the only seating area outside is the small front with around 12 chairs. Pool was small with alot of dirt and the occasional sweetie floating. The bedding was clean however the grouting and cleanliness of the rims of the taps were not of a hotel standard. If you like British food you will enjoy this hotel. I did not see any fitness suite and no massage/beauty area, and there was definately no hairsryer in the room. I asked for towels for the pool and there was a charge of €6 per towel and when they are returned you get half your money back. I asked for acoffe making facilities for the room and was told that there was a charge of €3.50 per day, no fruit offered at the hotel. Did not like Malta as it reminded me of a war zone, with the building all empty and draped with for sale and rent everywhere, unfinished roads, half built hotels, dog poo every where.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank adomaitis
Reviewed 11 December 2009

My wife and myself stayed at the Coral in October 2009, booked for ten nights, all inclusive.the room was basic but clean enough but we were given a room at the front of the hotel which is on a main road and the noisy traffic started around 6.30 every morning. Not so good.
The restaurant served a reasonable breakfast every morning, lunch was a bit limited we were given a snack bar menu, the evening meal was acceptable.
Most staff were friendly but it seemed like thy had to multi task serve in the bar, restaurant,reception etc so if there was no one looking after the bar you actually had to find someone, Not so good. We went into breakfast one morning and was shown to a table, we decided to move because the table had a " wobble" the waitress took a dislike to this and actually threw down the cutlery onto the table and you could see the annoyance on her face, Not so good.We were moved to the Coral Hotel after about a week they said the hotel was closing for the season. The rest of the holiday was fine but the Coral receptionist promised to re arrange our transfer to the airport and yes you guest it they never did. Not so good

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sc014a5791
Reviewed 5 November 2009

Mario and his staff could not have been better. Any help or information was given with a smile. No entertainment is what they said, so we sat on the terrace and all the guests made their own. What a friendly atmosphere! We would go back there any time; it is great!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2009

I travelled to Malta on the 26th August with my partner. When we first arrived we wondered what we had booked in to however over the week we were there we got to like the place. The staff were friendly, the food was good (definitely edible). We went All Inclusive and had to sign a receipt after ordering drinks, the prices on the receipt seemed fairly high (2.50 for a pint of water!). The pool area was fairly small but it got us talking to other couples on holiday, who also seemed to enjoy their time in this hotel. The rooms in the Hotel was of a good size. The only draw back was the air conditioning...or lack of. They have a unit and also a ceiling fan but both are pretty poor and do not cool the air down.

The hotel was well located with Bugibba Square and local shops a 5-10 minute walk away.

I would highly recommend going on the Comino Island trip. We walked down to the square and paid 15 euros each for a half day trip. St Paul's Island (the first stop off) was pretty boring but once you get to the Blue Lagoon you will be amazed. It was beautiful, clear blue waters which is lovely and warm :-)

Despite the poor air conditioning I would recommend the Hotel

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan1984
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bugibba
Canifor Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra
Oriana at the Topaz Hotel
Oriana at the Topaz Hotel
#8 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Coral Hotel? Share your experiences!