“You get what you pay for !”
Review of Coral Hotel

Coral Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Bugibba B&B and Inns
poole
“You get what you pay for !”
Reviewed 4 July 2010

For a low cost hotel we found The Coral to be good value for money. We had read reviews before we went and were expecting the worst. We were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very small with limited staff, but everyone, especially Charlie was very friendly and helpful.
Our room was on the fifth floor at the back of the hotel with view over the rooftops, but we did get the evening sun on our balcony which was lovely. The room was very clean. The towels were changed every day.
The food choice was limited but perfectly acceptable. The chef offered to cook my eggs specially the way I like them. The salad choice was good. All the waiting staff were attentive.
The rooftop pool was lovely. Often I had the pool to myself and there was never any problem getting a sunbed.
As I said - you get what you pay for. This is a low cost hotel so if you want hairdryer, Tea making facilities(we took our own), Fridge etc there is an extra charge.
On the whole, we thought The Coral was very pleasant and would happily return there in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
wales
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Booked the Canifor b@b got moved to the Coral f/b, Hotel very clean staff could not have been better, food ok, 10 mins walk to the sea front, plenty of shops and plenty of places to eat, had a great holiday will be back again soon.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
yorkie in sheffield
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Transferred to this hotel from a sister hotel, (Canifor), due to over booking. Stayed for two nights before taking an early flight home.

Had to complain before getting basic amenities. Centre light not working. Balcony door would not lock.

Food adequate if your taste buds are dormant.

No entertainment ot watchable TV.

Miles from the bus station.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bugibba hotels

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2010

We travelled to the Coral Hotel for a week on an All Inclusive Basis, we had read the reviews before going and understood the plus and minus sides of the hotel - plus the cost was right!
We arrived and were greeted by a pleasant face who went through all the info with us and sent us on our way to the room on the 5th floor. The rooms are basic, they don't have a hairdryer or air con (even though it says they do!) but pleasant enough. We went down for lunch in the bar area to be served by the same woman on reception - seems that they do EVERYTHING!! Lunch was acceptable and the cold beer was rather nice.
To be honest, our first impressions were good, however as the week progressed things went downhill. The first thing that was noticeable was the ant infestation in our room (even in our beds) so we reported it to be given a bug spray and told to use it, this is did not work at all. But it soon became apparent that complaining in this hotel gets you nowhere.
I would have to say that without a doubt the worst thing about the hotel is the food. We went expecting a basic standard, but it was even below that.
The breakfast was inedible - I got stuck with cereal everyday whereas my other half was eating chocolate cake! The juice provided is powder orange and a pink one (not 100% what flavour) and the coffee I was not able to drink (and believe me I normally drink ALOT of coffee)
As there is so much to do on the island, we only had lunch 3 times - which consisted of sandwiches, burgers and pasta mainly. The pasta was lovely as was the burger but the rest was not the best. I ordered a toasted sandwich on my last day that was not even toasted! The service was terrible at lunch too. (but I will come back to that!!)
Dinner was edible and that is about it. Some things were lovely and some I would not feed to a dog.
STAFF - Some of the workers are friendly and approachable, however the remainder let them down. Charles the barman is lovely and will do anything, the housekeeping staff are amazing and one of the girls on reception is nice. The rest are sullen and make you feel like everything is a chore. There is one bar staff that made a very big issue about a bottle of red wine. Basically, he lied to the manager and said that I had been signing for drinks and giving them away to people. The truth was that I signed for 1 bottle that night. We did get an apology from the manager, but I must admit it made me feel very uncomfortable and I was insulted. Apparently its not the first time that the barman in question has done this - so watch out!!!!!!
CLEANLINESS - The one thing I cannot fault at all - amazing
OTHER BITS - They took 3 days to fix the toilet in the public area, the pool is pretty good, the lift stopped for working for 1 day, the internet does not work, the TV channels don't exist.
I had a great holiday with my partner and we met some great people. I loved Malta and would go back - but not to the Coral.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lourich30
England
Reviewed 26 March 2010

our reception was not very enthusiastic and we had to find our own way up to our room, so not a good first impression. The room looked alright but soon we discovered the drawbacks:
very inadequate reading lights
the balcony view was a brick wall
the beds were not comfortable, which meant we slept poorly
we had to pay for tea making equipment and I had to make a down payment for a hairdryer.
In the dining room the food was unattractively presented and worse than the food I cook at home.

The good points were:
good rooftop pool, which we couldn't use as too cold for swimming, but pleasant for lying in the sun when it shone.
It's only two doors up from an excellent cinema where I watched Alice in Wonderland in 3D!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Folkestone, England
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We arrived courtesy of 'Mercury' pickup around 3 in the afternoon. No one to help with our bags Checked in and staggered up to the third floor to a frankly diappointing room. The balcony has no view (we were at the rear of the Hotel) and one stares into a 'Berlin Wall' type of construction.. The beds were old and when one turned over in them, it sounded like a Chinese orchestra striking up !
. On arrival we asked about tea making facilities. Not available until tomorrow we were told and they will cost £3.50 per day. You wil also have to pay for a t/v console and a deposit for a hairdryer. All pretty negative.
The food was just about acceptable( for me at least, but not for my wife) The breakfast was O.K. but the morning juice is Squash. On the plus side, the toaster works well although how to work it takes a bit of figgerrng out! Coffee (Nescafe) and tea are from a machine by the wall. I HATE Nescafe (devils brew) so no morning coffee for me!No fruit is served so we bought our own and ate it in the bedroom. The staff are friendly and the rooms are kept clean, but the Hotel is understaffed and the receptionist also serves in the bar.
We had to leave early for the airport but the taxi (due at 4.45 a.m. did not turn up until 5.30a.m.) Not sure if Mercury or the driver was to blame.
Alastair Craig
Folkestone,
Kent

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Donegal
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Went with my mother and 11 yr old child on an all inclusive basis. Hotel is suited for over 65's and British. The food on the menu is British and the lunch menu is more like a "kiddies menu", chips, eggs, cheeseburger, egg burger, cheese and ham toasties...I'm sure you get the picture. This is a small hotel with 40 rroms and the dinner menu is limited, but edible. There was no fruit on the menus. The weather was chilly therefore we needed heating in the rooms in the evening, however the system blew out cold air, eventually after 6 days of asking for the heating to be fixed, the engineer came and that evening we had heat, however the system made really loud gurgling noises and so we has to switch it off. Staff were very friendly, however the hotel is understaffed, with the receptionist doubling as the bar worker. There is no back to the hotel, the only seating area outside is the small front with around 12 chairs. Pool was small with alot of dirt and the occasional sweetie floating. The bedding was clean however the grouting and cleanliness of the rims of the taps were not of a hotel standard. If you like British food you will enjoy this hotel. I did not see any fitness suite and no massage/beauty area, and there was definately no hairsryer in the room. I asked for towels for the pool and there was a charge of €6 per towel and when they are returned you get half your money back. I asked for acoffe making facilities for the room and was told that there was a charge of €3.50 per day, no fruit offered at the hotel. Did not like Malta as it reminded me of a war zone, with the building all empty and draped with for sale and rent everywhere, unfinished roads, half built hotels, dog poo every where.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank adomaitis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bugibba
Topaz Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra
Sunflower Hotel
Sunflower Hotel
#5 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Coral Hotel? Share your experiences!