“Great Location, Friendly Staff”

Mavina Holiday Complex
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Bugibba
Midlands
“Great Location, Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Stayed at the Mavina September 2011 on a half board basis.
No complaints at all. We were at the front of the Complex which was great. Large apartment with fridge and cooking utensils if needed. Half Board food was good. The lack of air conditioning was not a problem in September but I imagine that it would be a bonus in the peak season. Have to say that Jojo202 is 100% correct about the timing of the rubbish truck. We did not need to set an alarm!
We hired a car to explore the island. Would recommend this to all but the faint hearted. Driving in Malta is very similar to driving in Italy!
I would recommend the Mavina as a great base to explore Malta.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank HEV64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed at the complex in August 2011 with my husband and two small children. We had a self catering apartment which was a little dated but clean and well presented with all necessary cooking utensils - a two hob cooker, pans, plates etc.
The pool was salt water but kept clean and tidy and well managed - unfortunately arrogancy of other guests can't be sited as a complaint to the resort.
Staff were friendly and appraochable and helped with whatever we asked for. We travelled as a group of ten and this was not a problem when we booked a table for dinner - the waiter was extremely friendly, polite and flexible in catering for the needs of the younger children.
We were very pleased with this resort - lack of air con was a small issue but we knew this from when we booked and it did not affect our holiday! I would recommend this for any family!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quieter but rooms facing out the front of the hotel are slightly cooler.
6 Thank Madshe
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Just stayed there for the third time, will book soon for next year! Family run, basic but spotlessly clean, nothing too much trouble, sea water pool, central. What more could you want! Met up with friends from the twenty years we have been going to Malta as well. Were self catering, but I heard meals were good.

Room Tip: although you see more life from the front, the back suits us as quiter and sun in the morning there
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ValBerwickuponTweed
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I found the apartment to be very big, adequately equipped and in a good location however there are definitly better places to stay. The furniture reminded us of a 1960s student digs and could pretty much all do with replacing but it worked, so no real issue. I had read reviews on here about the lack of air con but dismissed it thinking it wouldn't be too bad but I was wrong! We were in D block on the 2nd floor and despite having a stand alone fan and a ceiling fan going all the time we were in there, it was still roasting! You get used to the noise of the fans but nothing will disguise the racket from the rubbish truck which rumbled and crashed around outside at 6.18am every morning so having the patio doors open wasn't ideal.
If cheap and basic is OK then there is nothing wrong with the Mavina. We certainly didn't have any problems with the cleanliness like the last reviewer and I have (apparently annoyingly) high standards! I won't stay here again but that's because I am rubbish with heat and I know from previous trips to Malta (and Buggiba) that there is better out there but that's not to say it should be ruled out if space, cleanliness and location are your priorities.

Room Tip: If there are any at the back (didn't go round there so not sure!) they will attract less road no...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jojo202
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2011

My best friend and I stayed in this recommended hotel for 7 nights (just got back) the location is very good, close to the sea front and bus station, the streets are quite slippery try to wear shoes with grip as I slipped over once and injured myself. Lift very small I couldn't even fit myself and my suitcase and hand luggage in the lift LOL. The room we had was a pool room view on one of the upper floors. Room as generally dirty (we did the wet wipe test on the floor and came up BLACK Yuk!), we didn't even want to use kitchen, only used fridge which wasn't that cold and was leaking on the floor. The bathroom sink U-bend was leaking and also the toilet flush was leaking and took 2 days for the hotel fix. Bath towels on the small size and when we requested bigger ones they said they didn’t have any! Room doesn't get cleaned throughout entire visit, the only thing that is changed is the towels once on a 7 night stay, and the bedding is never changed! The bins were emptied 5 out of the 7 days. There is no air conditioning and we hired two stands up fans as we needed one each at 14 Euros for the week. We had to change the fan several times as they all had problems with them, which was extremely annoying. There was only 1 plug socket in the main living area so we had to charge all our electrical items in the kitchen which is extremely risky and dangerous. We asked for a plug extension which we were asked to pay 5 Euros deposit and that only had two sockets on it which we used for the fans! Also the ceiling fan doesn’t work well and even on full speed it wasn’t going fast and you couldn’t feel it at all. We had to pay 5 Euros for an extra key so my friend and I had one each. Safe was 10 Euros for the week and it situated behind reception area. We didn’t have the option to keep our room till departure time, I told the hotel in advance that we wanted the room as check out was at 11am and we were leaving for the airport at 6pm and the hotel booked our room and so we had no room all day which was very annoying. Thank goodness they had a shower room we could use, however it was so dirty, I had to clean from top to bottom with our Dettol cleaner before I could use the toilet and shower. We had to pay for a towel so we could shower which was 1 euro for two towels. The restaurant/bar attached to the hotel serves nice food and the staffs try and are as helpful as they can. Drinks more expenses then other places, so maybe go someone else for a drink unless you don’t want to go out. No Wi-Fi so you have to walk to the Square at the sea front or sit at a near by café for a connection.

I have stayed in many hotels and this is one of the worst, I will never visit again even it was the cheapest place in Malta. We didn’t let the hotel experience ruin the holiday and still had an amazing time.

Room Tip: Pool rooms have the best view
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank jaqua2

Travellers are raving about these Bugibba hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2011

MAVINA HOLIDAY COMPLEX
A simple family, two week holiday in the sun. We went as a group of ten people which consisted of three families. (4, 4 and 2). The complex was fantastic and totally what you would expect from 3 stars. The staff were very friendly, everything was clean and tidy. We stayed as the self catering option and went with all intentions of eating in the apartment a few nights to conserve cash, we had all the facilities we needed to do this which was totally great.
The complex itself was situated in a great position, very close to a supermarket, various bars and the main bus depot. Totally within walking distance of the sea front and much more evening entertainment.
If I had to find a negative it would be that the complex had no Air Con...but we were told that this was in process of soon becoming installed. The only other negative of Malta itself were the buses, I don’t really know why, but the lovely old buses have gone and they have been replaced with massive and overcrowed buses you would expect to find in London. Also the service has generally become very poor. I suggest getting a car, very easy to do and not that expensive. Gives you total control.
Thumbs up for the Mavina Inn.

5 Thank Paul B
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The Malvina Hotel provides spacious apartments, but they are rather dingy and tired. The bath needed re-enamelling and the kitchen units were falling apart. However, it is good basic accommodation to use as a base for exploring Malta and Gozo. The bus station is 5 mintes walk away and it is possible to get buses to all parts of the island from here. Avoid getting the bus back from Valetta during the rush hour as it is absolutely packed and very hot.
The hop on hop off sightseeing bus is good for a day's touring, and you can see the neolithic temples, and swim at the blue grotto all in one day. If you want to see the hypogeum, you need to book at least two weeks in advance.Although there are catacombs in Rabat which are also definitely worth a visit.
We were amazed at the variety of historic sites there are to visit in Malta and Gozo, and would definitely go back again.
However, we would not stay in Bugibba, which is soulless expaenxe of concrete apartment blocks and hotels, forming a blot on the landscape along the coast.

3 Thank Anne D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bugibba
Topaz Hotel
#13 of 15 in Qawra
San Pawl Hotel
San Pawl Hotel
#11 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Mavina Holiday Complex? Share your experiences!