“Not Cod”

Cuisines: Seafood, Central European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We were recommended to this eatery by some friends and ended up disappointed. I love my cod and chips and regularly eat at Squires of Braunton who serve nothing but cod loins. As soon as I saw the price of cod and chips at Sea Shells I realised that something was not quite right. It costs a lot to transport cod to Malta which makes it expensive to buy. They were charging 4 Euros 95 for cod and chips, not much profit there.
The meal arrived, my partner had ordered fishcake and chips (which was excellent by the way) and I had the cod. There was a lot of batter to get through before getting to the fish which was of a slimy texture and not large flakes like cod. It was a cat fish, Pangasius ( River Cobbler in Tescos) farmed in Vietnam and thereabouts. Nothing wrong with that but why sell it as cod? We should all know what we are eating. Fair play to the waitress, I told her it had never swum in the sea and she offered to get me something else.
It hasn't put me off tho'. I like the look of some of the things on the menu but will be checking them out before eating.

1  Thank lucida100

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I tried this Fish & Chip Shop and I was not disappointed. What it lacks in ambience, it makes up for it in food and very reasonable budget prices. Most of the food is marked around the 5 Euros price range. The menu is varied and those who do not like fish and chips can opt for burgers, pasta or other type of food. I chose a fish and chips while my friends opted for a pasta. Friendly service and good food. Therefore I could not ask for more. Certainly good value for money.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

we go to the seashell chip shop every time we visit bugibba..
its basic I have fish chips mushy peas. which is always at an offer price.its not harry ramsdens,but is good.there are plenty of non fish and chip meals to choose from,owners are very friendly.it;s only small so you need to check how busy

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We had fish and chips there, after we passed each night and found the place full we thought it must been good and decided to give it a go. Can't think why it's full all the time, the food was edible but that was all. The chips were frozen and the fish mushy, wouldn't go back.

1  Thank Terri1402
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We tried this fish and chip shop as a take away on the recommendation of a local. The chips were just about edible but the fish was supposed to be haddock if it was we have never had haddock which was slimy and didn't seem to be cooked. The batter was very thick and not cooked all the way through. As we have put on the title do not go here it was really really awful.

2  Thank carol080959