“Brilliant evening - great service and tasty food”
Review of New Madras

New Madras
Ranked #8 of 171 Restaurants in Bugibba
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I recently went to the New Madras which is close to where I live. After a bad experience at an Indian restaurant in St. Julian's I wasn't so sure Malta could offer anything close to what I'm used to in the UK. But, me and my partner were very pleasantly surprised and we had a great evening there.

The service was great - very friendly waiters who looked after their customers and who clearly worked very hard to keep it running smoothly.
The food was absolutely delicious. We had poppadoms served with great condiments (like in the UK) and as a starter onion bahji's and vegetable samosas which were just perfect. As a main we had a Tikka Masala and Madras with pilau rice and a plain and peshwari naan. Portions were big - I am a big eater and only just managed to finish it all (apart from the naan).

The chef, who was very friendly, came up to ask if we liked it.

Of course it is a little more expensive than in the UK as it's more of a speciality in Malta but I was happy to pay the price and I will definitely be returning here! My only dislike was that the table and chair was quite low for me (I'm tall) but hey...that's not a dealbreaker.

On a sidenote, the waiters were also very friendly and patient with customers next to us who had never eaten Indian before and had no idea what to order.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Had a soup. That was good. But the main course was not that special. Had better Indian food before. Service is good. I went here cause of the good rate. I think it is a bit overrated.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Short and sweet review, just to say that the farther and son team at the New Madras produce the best Indian meals in Malta by far. It has been well over a year since our last visit and nothing has changed our impression of this unassuming wee restaurant that is most definitely worth finding, especially if you enjoy a "British" style of curry. Nothing is too much trouble and they will adapt any curry to your taste if asked. Simply brilliant. BTW if you like a really fruity Peshwari Nan this where you will find the best we have had anywhere.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Visited this lovely little restaurant after reading reviews on trip advisor and it was simply an amazing find. Visited with my girlfriend and ordered from the set menu on the last page of the menu. 3 courses for 21.50 with a rice and naan. For starters we got cheese chicken tikka and sheekh kebab both were beautiful and aromatic. Simply presented but delicious. For main course we got butter chicken and chicken tikka masala, it's hard to explain just how tasty these dishes were, simply the best Indian we've ever had, a real depth of flavour. We got poulo rice which was fragrant and delicious and unlike any rice I've had before and the garlic naan was devine. The deserts were plain and probably unnecessary after such a fantastic meal. Definitely worth a try

1  Thank Sean B
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The starter was the €18 mixed tandoori for two, plenty on the plate, 3 pieces of chicken done 3 different ways, lentil samosa, small lamb piece and pakora ( a bit cold) and prawn, deep fried in batter, all times two. This was all tasty, the prawn was a surprise in a tandoori plater. Was $AU30 a bit much for a starter? The Aloo Paneer(excellent), rice (for one person was €2.75) and naan came out 10 seconds later, because " we had ordered it all together" the staff were friendly, our waiter certainly encouraged us to order more " as the sauces take a long time to cook". Genuine Indian, good, not great.