“Basic but fit for purpose”
Review of Relax Inn Hotel

Relax Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bugibba
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Picked this hotel purely based on price and rating. Traveling solo I wanted super cheap and adjusted my expectations accordingly.

The room is basic and clean. Beds weren't the softest but perfectly fine. The furniture was definitely run down. The vanity unit really showed age as did the room in general and the bathroom. That being said, everything was clean and what I expected based on the reviews.

Stayed on a half board basis. Evening meal wasn't spectacular but it filled a hole. Starter of soup or pasta. Main meat/fish option with veg (I see why people complained about frozen because its your generic mixed veg - not great if you're not a fan of peas - and various potato shapes). There's also salad which I preferred to fill on. Then a sweet like ice cream or creme caramel.

Breakfast was the lowest point. Had toast and cake first morning then didn't bother going back for it. Cheap processed hams and cheeses looked artificial and weren't very nice. Cheap proper breakfasts can be had in Bugibba square.

No view from the balcony or sun on it either. Didn't bother me because I wasn't there for that but those who are should probably request one of the high sea view rooms.

That being said it was so cheap that I still classed it as value for money. Staff were friendly, always said hello and free wifi is always a bonus.

Hotel is a little hard to find initially but is actually very close to bus stop and Square. For a clean bed and safe basic place to lay your had the Relax Inn Hotel is fine. If you want more than that (or intend to watch tv for anything more in English than the news) then it probably won't be your cup of tea.

I love Malta for the ease of getting around on the ridiculously cheap buses and with realistic expectations I would still consider returning to this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2014
6  Thank ebabz123

Reviewed 26 April 2014

A nice friendly hotel with all that we needed. It was clean and comfortable and excellent value for money.
Staff seemed helpful particularly in the resturant. Choice of food was good throughout the time we were there. Did have the powdered potato one day and that was a shame as we enjoyed everything else.
Location was perfect for us and would book a return visit. Better than the larger 4 star hotel we have stayed in previously

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Deborah T
Reviewed 30 March 2014

If you need a place that is clean and cheap, this seems very good. My rating is based on what you get for what you pay. Also stayed at 4 star and 5 star on Malta, I guess the 4star hotel that I tried was not worth it in comparison. Did not try breakfast/food.

Rooms are maybe not so romantic as furniture is a bit worn with light beige being the basic color, which can remind you of smokestained rooms (though rooms are smoke free, no worries).

Found places 4 euros cheaper nearby, but with worse reviews. Beds were said in reviews to be hard, but I think they're ok even though my back easily has problems with hard beds.

But music outside is noisy, so earplugs are required for any sleep as there's not much sound isolation. Rooms have tv and one cay pay to use a fridge. Wifi works with a password, but somehow Viber is blocked it seems, Skype works. Some rooms have sea view, very central location just behind the pizza hut/main square.

If you drive on the island, you normally spend more time than the GPS says as there are often some small jams in intersections/cities and GPS maps are not always reliable with names or oneway streets. Streets are of very varied quality, mostly very bumpy patchwork - except on main roads. Don't rent prefuelled cars as they add 50% markup on gas - better pay double rental price as you cannot drive far anyway on a small island, so fuel price can easily be more than 100% effective markup. Generally most places are free parking, with some exceptions often requiring a parking clock for limited parking time.

Room Tip: Sea view is good, but also yields more music from beach square area. Street view is maybe more quiet...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank janoleolsen
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I have to say that most of the previous reviews cover things very well indeed. The good and the bad are there and no great exaggerations. It is a little faded and the room furniture is very badly worn in some rooms. I had to do a horizontal limbo to get into the bathroom, the door did not fully open. Food was good and varied and yes very reminiscent of a works canteen, but I paid a silly cheap price for a one month stay and it was satisfactory. Wifi advertised in rooms, but never worked in mine, I had to go to the lobby, where the connection was better, but not great. Nice, friendly staff and good cleaning people.
Excellent position near bus stops and lots of cafes/bars/restaurants in the area. Too chilly to sit out at night in bars, so never really had a problem with noise, but I imagine front rooms in warmer weather could be a problem.

Malta bus service is excellent, at the moment you get a full day, go-as-you-please ticket for 1.50 Euro, but this could change. They also have weekly tickets, but I didn't want to be out every day, so only bought as needed, by the day.

Would I go Back.....possibly at the price I paid, but apartments may be better for a long stay, though getting fed and having a cleaning service certainly has it's advantages. I think Half Board is excellent value, but would not recommend the all inclusive.

Room Tip: 308 is smaller than others and if you are of a larger size, it's a problem getting in and out th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank marchamona
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Spent 12 days at the Relax Inn at the end of January. Cant fault this hotel for the cleanliness but thats about all. The girl on reception is the most unhelpfull person. I was allocated a room on the second floor road facing and the balcony door was broken When one door was shut the other one opened.Hence a very cold night in the room. In the morning I approached her and asked if I could have another room Her response was a couldnt care attitude but after complaining again she did give me another room.The worst in the hotel with generators going all the time,facing a high wall. Looking back I should of asked one of the other staff as being my first time there I didnt know about her. All the other staff were nice but if you have a problem dont ask Olga.Food was varied ,hot and the bacon and eggs for 1euro 20 was good value. The entrance to this hotel has steps so no good if a wheelchair user.The buses are changing again in March but the weekly bus pass for 6euros 50 will probably be still available.Routes for the buses are changing as well.I love Malta,its history and culture so I will be going back but unfortunately not to the Relax Inn

Room Tip: Floors 3/4 sea facing
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank traveler6555
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed with my partner for a week in Jan/Feb. Booked half-board. Arrived 22:00 & was shown to our room (4th floor at back) - a disappointment. It was drab, poorly maintained (towel rail in bathroom pulled out of wall & missing, black mould stains in bathroom and around balcony doors, chipped furniture, clock/radio not working). The twin beds were thin mattresses laid on chipboard bases - rock hard. The receptionist could not get the heating to work, but we eventually got it going around midnight, making for a first cold night as we only had a thin sheet and blanket of the bed. However on a positive note, the next morning the manageress (?) did come to see us and arranged duvets & extra blankets, a working radio and a door rail to hang our towels on. The room was cleaned well & fresh towels daily. The staff were pleasant and helpful throughout our stay, except for the young woman on reception, who was sullen, unsmiling and could not be bothered to look up from her computer when asked a question, or we said good morning. The public areas were unwelcoming, with scruffy furniture (bookshelves for example falling down - why?).. On a positive, a good location in Bugibba, near the bus station and seafront. Being high at the back we were not bothered by street noise. For what we paid the food was ok, if limited in choice. Vegetables were overcooked for our taste, but the portions were good and we had the "maltese" choice on a couple of nights (helpful chefs and waiting staff). Wine was cheap! Other guests whilst we were there appeared to be mainly lone men, wintering in Malta on a budget. It was a budget break for us and you obviously only get what you pay for, but it would not be hard to freshen up this tired hotel and do basic maintenance. We would not return to this particular hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank D P
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We paid only £240 each for a week half board in January (including flights, transfers and baggage allowance) so we weren't expecting high quality.
Positives - this hotel does not purport to be anything it isn't, it's basic and cheap; very central position, a minute's walk from the front (and bus stops, meaning you can catch a bus to Valletta and other places before the bus station in Bugibba so you always get a seat); clean towels every day; room very clean; breakfast fine, self-service, apart from full English which is cooked for you to order at only 2.50 euros; Katja in the restaurant is lovely and friendly; glass of wine only 1.20 euros!; shower nice and powerful (even though it looked ancient), plenty of hot water.
Negatives - it's faded and jaded, old fashioned decor (but not dirty); only a tiny bar near reception with some old sofas; TV in room only showed CNN or Sky News; small corridor outside bedrooms carried noise of voices very loudly; quite the hardest bed I have EVER slept on; sheets and a blanket (I prefer a duvet), it was January and I found it a bit cold, although to be fair, there is a notice saying you can ask for extra blanket; the food - breakfast the best meal. Evening meals were a choice of 2 starters and 2 mains, usually one meat and one fish, or you could order an omellette. A couple of the meals I really didn't like. Reminded me of school dinners or bad canteen food, overcooked veg, tough meat. Powdered potato appeared - didn't think you could get it any more. You could eat out without incurring too much more expense as we found the prices in the area very reasonable, and we paid so little for the hotel.
Bear in mind this was January - don't think I would have been pleased paying full prices in high season. The hotel seemed mainly to cater for older retirees spending the winter months away from the British weather, so don't go there for the atmosphere either.
All in all a mixed bag, basic and cheap.

Room Tip: Our room (302) was at the back and did have sort of a sea view. The ones on the front would be onto...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carolr13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bugibba
Topaz Hotel
Porto Azzurro
Porto Azzurro
#5 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa

Been to Relax Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!