“Great bed, pleasant staff, decent breakfast.”

Courtyard Manassas Battlefield Park
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Manassas
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Genuinely pleasant and welcoming staff.
Most comfortable bed I've had in a hotel in years - I would buy one for use at home.
Clean and modern facility, nice breakfast, quiet rooms.
Internet access was so-so...

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andrefoti

Reviewed 4 March 2011

As a Marriott Rewards Member, I would expect the 'special' treatment that comes with the rewards membership. The Front Desk did acknowledge my status as a rewards member (which is rare these days at Marriott branded hotels). I didn't have a problem checking in with the rate I had for the hotel. Convenient location to 66.

Towels and sheets were changed daily as requested but during my two week stay - I believe my room was vacuumed once or twice at the most. Definitely wasn't as clean as I thought it would be. Exercise room was cramped into a small room, believe my hotel room was larger than the exercise room itself. Bathroom door wouldn't open all the way due to the bottom of the door being too long. So while sitting on the toilet you'd have to sit in an angle or be right on the door. Reported this issue to during a survey and the GM had an engineer take a look at the door. There is no ventilation either.

There was a smoke problem during my stay from neighboring guests smoking on their balconies. My room smelled like smoke and aggravated my allergies. Upon reporting it to the front desk, thankfully, Chris moved me to another room without any hassle and apologized for the inconvenience. Also, my previous room had a microwave and the new room didn't. Chris informed me someone would bring me one. He ended up bringing it to me himself once he had coverage for the front desk. One PLUS during my stay. Thanks Chris!

During my stay, I happened to be there during a huge snowstorm for VA. Parking lot wasn't adequately plowed causing plenty of guests issues when they left in the morning. I understand that it took awhile for folks to get to their destination, longer than expected but there should of been an alternative plan or compensation for the inconvenience. GM was notified about this issue and he apologized for the inconvenience. Also during this time frame, there was an ice storm. Black ice was present and salt was not, about slipped and fell, thankfully caught myself.

I did notice a hotel room doorway with a white sheet and caution tape. I thought there had been criminal activity as the next few nights there was a VA State Police car parked in the parking lot - either for 'safety' or one was actually staying at the hotel. According to the GM: "The veneer came loose and our engineer had to remove the door to re-glue and repair the door. There was no criminal activity in that room or anywhere near the hotel that we are aware of. "

Would I stay here again? Maybe, but not likely as there are plenty Marriott brand hotels around to choose from.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BizTravlerJunky
Reviewed 29 November 2010

This Courtyard by Marriott was one of the best hotels that we have ever stayed at. The rooms were large and beautifully appointed with very comfortable beds. Each room had a small balcony with a large sliding glass door (very well locked) that was great for looking over the area. Very quiet rooms made sleeping easy and the staff was extremely friendly and professional. There was a charge for breakfast, but more than worth it with an extensive buffet and eggs cooked to order. If you didn't care for that, a Cracker Barrel was just across the parking lot. Located in a quiet area right next to the highway with easy access to other restaurants and stores. We would love to stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaggieD072
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Stayed one night for a soccer tournament. The front desk clerk was extraordinarily pleasant. Since a room was available we were allowed to check in early. The beds were very comfortable and slept well. The hotel was quiet even though it was full because of a soccer tournament. Negatives were minor. The room had a smell like it hadn't been opened up in a while but didn't bother us once we turned on the air and there was a medium amount of dust on the bathroom fixtures, mirror and coffee maker. One bedspread was slightly worn and had a stain on it. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank crkrts6
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We really enjoyed our vacation while staying at the Courtyard by Marriott in Manassas, VA. We used Priceline and stayed for half the advertised rate, which is about $139, which was a real bargain! The rooms are large and kept very clean, beds are comfortable, in-wall air-conditioner was fine, small refrigerator in room was a must for us. Most rooms also have a small outside porch which was an added plus.The hotel staff were pleasant and always helpful. It's located in a nice area, close to the battlefield. Pool only opens from 5:00 p.m. till 10:00 p.m. (not sure why they do that), but fitness room is open all day.
My only real problem was with the slow speed on the in-room internet connection (and no wifi in the room, you still have to sit at the desk and connect your computer with a cable). When I had to get some work done, it took almost forever on the uploads and downloads. I was surprised that a Marriott hasn't updated their internet connections for the working traveler.
We enjoyed the Civil War movie (watch that first) at the Battlefield visitors' center and the tours by the Park Rangers (there are several tours given at the different battlefield sites). Admission is only $3 and includes the video and lasts for 3 days.
We drove about an hour and 45 minutes to see the Luray Caverns in Luray, VA. They are phenomenal! Just incredible. You walk underground with your own headphones for a self guided audio tour (we spent 2 hours, others do it much faster, but there was so much to see). If you have a child taking earth science in school -- this will bring it all to life. Tickets were $23 each, but if you have a Giants Supermarket card (we stopped off at the supermarket on the way to pick one up), there's a half-off the second adult ticket discount. Next door is a car museum (included in the price of admission to the caverns) and we enjoyed the hour we spent there as well (some really old but well-maintained cars of long long ago). There's also a corn maze, but we didn't go through that.
The hotel is only 25 miles from Washington, DC so we spent one day in Washington as well, touring the new Newseum. Great exhibit about 9-11 and a history of news and journalism. Lots of videos and interactive exhibits. Expensive admission (most Washington museums are free) but lots to see. Parking in the area was $22 for the day in a parking lot (street meters are only good for 2 hours, and they are few and far between).

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AirmontTraveler
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I've stayed at this Courtyard many times now, and never had a bad stay. The room is slightly larger than average with a very comfortable bed. The first floor rooms that face the courtyard have sliding doors which is nice in the spring--all of the flowers were in bloom. The only downside to that was the loud group of guests that took over the gazebo and woke me up at 11PM, but the front desk handled the problem well. I did have to ding cleanliness this time, as we moved the sofa to make space for a pack-and-play and found that the carpet under the sofa was filthy. I don't expect routine cleaning of hidden surfaces, but this was clearly several years of built-up dirt. As usual I also have to complain that the indoor pool opens at 5PM on weekdays.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank demigrog
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We got a very special deal and were a little anxious that it might be too good to be true. But it was good and it was true. This appears to be a fairly new hotel, and is clean and well maintained. Our $80 double room was massive and comfortable and we thoroughly enjoyed the breakfasts, with a wide range of food and some of the best scrambled eggs you will find in a hotel anywhere. The staff are courteous and helpful.
If you are into the Civil War, the main battlefield site is within walking distance, although you will need a car if you want to explore all of its extremities. Downtown Manassas is about four miles away and you probably need a car to go there -and it is worth a half day wander.
Eating out is great - the Cracker Barrel, which is effectively in the hotel car park, is a great little southern eaterie, with a good menu and friendly service at sensible prices. if not, then across the freeway are a few other chain restaurants, and a shopping mall where you can buy food to eat in.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple