“Superb family run/orientated establishment - the only place to stay in Bran”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The GuestHouse

and 1 more site!
The GuestHouse
Ranked #5 of 89 Bran B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Superb family run/orientated establishment - the only place to stay in Bran”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

We recently visited Romania (Bran) for a family holiday with our 16 month old daughter and my In-Laws. We chose The Guesthouse due to the reviews we had read on Trip Advisor and I happy to say the reviews were spot on following our week's stay. Where to start with my review as I dont normally write reviews. This Guesthouse is defintiely worthy of a review as I couldnt fault any aspect of our stay.

Hospitality - We were greeted by John and Ioana at The Guesthouse Reception and were made to feel at home from the minute we arrived to the minute we left. There was such a relaxing and comforting atmosphere on arrival and John explained the local areas of interest. It was a nice surprise to hear a fellow Northen accent since travelling with my Family from Surrey. He spoke very passionately about Romania and has left me intrigued with the Country. I still dont feel as though Ive explored all Romania has to offer and we saw a lot of Transylvania and I cannot wait to visit again. The Transfagaras was defintely a highlight as recommended by John; the views are spectacular. John even checked the local camera to ensure it was worth visiting on the day as if foggy, its not worth visiting apparently. Whilst staying at The Guesthouse, I celebrated my brithday. John and Ioana in co-ordination with my wife arranged a brilliant evening at the Wolf Restaurant nearby in the VIP area. The views of the mountains were superb (I cant wait to see how my wife will top off my birthday next year lol!!!). It just seemed as though nothing was too much trouble for them and were happy to help with any of our requests.

Garden - Our daughter loved the huge garden area and we had to prise her away each morning. She loved chasing the rabbits and other animals around the garden.

Food - excellent. John and Ioana arranged an evening meal on one evening and the food was really good and all locally sourced. The breakfast was also very good with a great variety each morning. It was great to hear their passion for local produce and John explained that they grow all their own produce where posssible. These included vegetables, fruits, nuts, jams made from their own fruit, to even making their own cheeses and providing fresh eggs from their chickens.

Rooms - The rooms were very spacious even with the cot bed for our daughter which was provided free of charge. They were cleaned to a high standard as I checked out of habit (being a Hospitalty Manager) and we had a brilliant view of the Castle from our top floor room. The first floor balcony also offers really good views of the Castle. The location is a very amenable being 1 minutes walk from Bran centre and John advised of the best places to eat and drink.

All in all, I cannot find a bad word to say about this complex and its owners. I cannot wait to visit again and I will defintely be staying with John and Ioana again.

I just want to finish by saying a really big "thank you" to you both for making our family holiday a memorable one!!!!

Room Tip: The top floor room overlooking the Castle is superb, although a great view of the Castle from the ba...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 163Fenners50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cheadle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

The Guest House is a rare find indeed. John and Ioana belong to a species which is increasingly uncommon these days - that of the kind guest house owner who is truly committed to the comfort of his or her guests. You would be hard-pressed to find anyone more helpful than John - it seemed that nothing was too much trouble for him. Not only did he anticipate our questions and venture information and ideas for our too-short stay at the guest house (rather than waiting for us to ask), and keep in contact with us after our stay (as we left something there) but he is also passionate about Romania and a truly interesting and inspiring person to talk to, too. It was also great to talk to another English person and see how he views the changes in eastern Europe from a western perspective :)

As for the property itself - it has a fantastic location, just off the main road rather than on it, and a 1 min walk from the centre with all the restaurants. The house is just lovely, the rooms very comfortable, tastefully-furbished and clean. We had the twin-bedded room without a view of the castle (we could see the mountains instead), but it is perfect and spacious enough for two friends sharing for a few days. The breakfasts, as previously mentioned, are great (and always too much for us!). The garden is a heaven for children and I imagine great to sit outside for people of all ages, too.

Thank you once more; if I do ever make my way back to Transylvania I'll be sure to stay at the Guest House again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Was so relieved when we pulled onto the driveway the hotel literally just around the corner from the beautiful village of Bran. The hotel was just a beautiful with the lovely gardens for the kids it was so much better than i had hoped for or expected. We had a warm welcome from John who began speaking Romanian to my partner until I stepped up with my London accent and then i got the pleasant surprise of an English reply. The inside was as lovely as the outside, our room on the top floor was perfect and with a beautiful view out to Bran Castle, which was even better at night! John made us welcome throughout or stay and spent a lot of time speaking to the guests and making us feel like we were at home. The kids loved the garden and playing with the rabbits and other tame animals wandering around. We definitely made the right choice in staying here thanks to previous reviews on tripadvisor, you wont find a better place to stay in Bran!

Room Tip: Definitely go from family room top floor facing Bran castle.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Nahariya, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

The only unfortunate encounter, was that we couldn't stay longer. The place is amazing and John is amazing. He supplied us with special meal for us (no pig) and was helpful with everything.
Also is awesome just to chat with. Really recommended!

• Stayed September 2013
Craiova, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at The Guesthouse for 3 nights in Aug 2013. A nice, calm retreat, great people and excellent food. That is hat we meet at Jonh's and Ioana'a house. Very clean rooms, a breakfast to die for :) and a huge playground for kids. We will came back to this family.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Khalkis, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I was totally satisfied with my stay in the guesthouse.

I have only positive things to say.

I am going to begin with John's hospitality. He was willing to help and inform us about everything.

The room was perfectly clean and we had a view of the castle.

We had to walk only about 100 metres to the entrance of the castle.

The surroundings and the garden was beautiful. Lots of green and fresh air to breathe.

We had free parking for our car and free wifi access.

The breakfast was home made and very well prepared.

I would definitely recommend it and i hope we will go back soon.

• Stayed June 2013
John M, Owner at The GuestHouse, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for your kind words, we are glad you enjoyed your stay in The Guesthouse and hope to see you again, all the best to Greece
Regards,
John
Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

We stayed at the GuestHouse for 7 nights with two 2-year old babies, in 2 rooms, in August. We couldn't wish for better experience. The hosts are very kind and attentive, ready to help with anything. Sometimes you even don't have to ask :) The facilities are great and well maintained. John makes sure to keep the level the highest possible. The yard with toys was a dream for the babies- they could just stay there for all 7 days (unfortunately, mommy wanted to explore Romania ;-)). The best place we have stayed in during the trip. Nothing bad to say even if I try very hard.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bran
Pensiunea Ana
#7 of 7 in Bran
Conacul Bratescu
Conacul Bratescu
#1 of 89 in Bran

Been to The GuestHouse? Share your experiences!