“As the interlocutor of the Roadrunners' M/C this is my first choice!”
Review of Ray's Den Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Independence
Ray's Den Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Independence
San Luis Obispo County, CA
“As the interlocutor of the Roadrunners' M/C this is my first choice!”
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I have scheduled my motorcycle riding club's Owens/Death Valley tours to headquarter in Independence several years in a row. Several of us have reserved the entire motel. And we were never disappointed at the quality, cleanliness, price and friendliness of the place. I recommend it without limitation. You will rarely find accomodations nicer [ and the proprietress has the fluffiest towels in town.]

Stayed March 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
LA
Reviewed 2 December 2009

I stay here when I go to Lone Pine/ Sierra Nevada... I love this place, it's clean, the owner is friendly and it has the most beautiful views in the sierra's. I will always recommend this place to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bre333
Eindhoven
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Stay here if you have visited Death Valley! We started our trip in Las Vegas to go to Death Valley. Very nice by the way. The motel is very clean and has a nice relaxing atmosphere. The owner, Linda, was very friendly. They have free high speed internet. Independence is a very small town, so if you want something to eat for diner don't expect any exclusive restaurants. We went to Hooligans, the only bar/restaurant in this town. A place where many locals visit. The food was great.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lin1008
California
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Ray's Den Motel offers comfortable rooms which are meticulously clean. The room provides a comfortable bed, cable tv, and fluffy towels. The bathroom is 1940s revival: all of the tile work, floor, and fixtures are like-new. The owner takes personal pride in the property and it shows. The Eastern California Museum is nearby and the hotel is accessible to the OnionValley Road which portals to Kearsarge Pass and the Sierra Nevada. Prices are reasonable and reservations are needed in peak travel months and during Owens Valley events like the Film Festival in Lone Pine. It is a nice mid-range motel with a 1940s retro theme. In a sense, it is a very nice time capsule.

Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Orthoclase
Brussels Belgium
Reviewed 17 September 2009

I stayed here with my wife for one night on our road trip. Other reviews are spot on, a really friendly owner and rooms that are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is small but perfectly formed!

Try to stay on a night when the Still Life cafe is open and get a great meal too!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Myself and my wife stayed at this Motel on our way from Las Vegas to Yosemite, I had originally booked into a hotel in Lone Pine however due to an extended stay in Vegas we had to look elsewhere...wow are we glad we did.

Independence is the coolest little town, with some great history attatched just get chatting to the lady in the gas station and she will tell you willingly. Anyway back to Ray's Den, we arrived dusty and hot from a drive thorough Death Valley, we were greated by the owner who was so accomadating and friendly (im a sucker for a nice smile and red vines...lol).

The views are second to none and the motel itself, although directly on the main road was suprisingly quiet and exactly what we needed. The rooms are basic, but that is not a slight on the Motel, after all its a motel what do you want apart from a comfy bed, air con and a nice shower....oh and cable..lol.

I really hope that we get to stay again sometime because of the 7 hotels we stayed in on our trip from Vegas to LA this was my fave by a mile.

Thank you Ray's Den you gave me and my wife our first true All American Motel experience and we loved it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 1 September 2009

We stayed one night at Ray's Den on the start of our week-lonmg vacation from Los Angeles to Lake Tahoe and everything in between. The hotel staff was friendly and accessible. The rooms were standard but very clean and nice. Fridge and micorwave in the room. You park your car right up to your front door. Very quiet location against the beautiful backdrop of the mountains. Though you are right on the road, we did not noticee any traffic noise.

There's a small table and chairs if you want to eat or hang out outside under the open sky. Free WiFi in the rooms. Great continental breakfast that included yogurt, cereals and the best home-made blueberry muffins I've ever had. And I'm not even crazy about Blueberry muffins. Yum!! Walk back behind the hotel and relax in the small park that runs along the creek. There's even an area for the kids to play.

There are not a lot of dining options in this town. Plus, everything closes pretty early, so don't expect to roll into town after 10 p.m. and find something to eat.

Also, want to experience a great little attraction? Don't just drive by Manzanar on the way. Pop in and learn a bit about American history, however tarnished it might be from time to time.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
Comfort Inn - Lone Pine
#3 of 3 in Independence
Mt. Whitney Motel
Mt. Whitney Motel
#8 of 8 in Lone Pine

Been to Ray's Den Motel? Share your experiences!