Independence Inn Motel
US$123
Priceline
US$111
Priceline
Dow Villa Motel(Lone Pine)
US$130
ComfortInn
Starlight Motel(Big Pine)
US$155
US$88
All reviewscoffee cakethe ownercakesgreat guymicrowave and coffee makerflat screen tvone man showold schoolplace is cleanhome madeeastern sierrastrail headplace to stayrooms are smallfree wifionion valleyjim
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I booked this hotel on the merits of trip advisor and so I feel a certain obligation to write about our stay.
On arriving to the motel it was clear to us that it was located in an area with little or no services, the town it's in may as well not be there. There is a shell garage which you can get the odd snack from, but good luck finding any restaurants.
Jim seems a nice enough guy but there is an uncomfortable air about the place, you could say creepy. This was made by a few things: Jims reception area reminded me of a mechanics garage and Jim himself was not dressed in a manner which you would expect a hotelier to be dressed, more a vest top rather than a suit.
We were hungry so decided to travel back up the road for some food as there wasn't anything in the town, our windows to the room were left open but were closed when we got back. This made my partner even more worried, and even though I tried to ease her worries by saying Jim may of forgotten they were open and just wanted to make us feel safer, no scenario I thought of made sense and so this resulted in the door to the room being blocked by chairs.
Unfortunately when a lady feels uneasy there isn't much you can do to make things better, whether her actions seems overboard or not, everything leading up to this caused it.

Jim has a hard job to do when you are faced with a barren town trying to get customers and make his property as nice as possible, and our comments are by no mean personal to him as he seems like a nice enough guy.
Had the reviews been a little more even then I wouldn't of written the review, I just think the other reviews are far too glowing of what we experienced.

3  Thank lorne s
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked a family room consisting of 1 queen & 1 full bed for 1 night as a stopover travelling between Mesquite, NV and Yosemite.

When pulling up, the very first thing I noticed was the gardens of the Inn...absolutely wonderful, I cannot say how pleased I was to see Roses for the first time in a month! I never realised how much I had missed the colour & scent of flowers from back home until now! The Inn itself looked very picturesque and we were pleasantly welcomed by Jim.

The room was clean, and suited us down to the ground. Within the room was a fridge, microwave and coffee making facilities which we used. The bathroom was sufficient for all 4 of us and we soon settled for the night. The free Wi-Fi worked well. We all slept well...beds were comfy and no noise from the road.

Breakfast was ok and there could have been a little more choice such as decaf coffee & fruit, but hey, for the price, I wasn't going to complain and managed to live without it for one morning!

It seems Jim does everything here, even cleaning and preparing the rooms...all I can say is I hope he keeps up the fantastic job he's doing! We would definitely recommend this Inn to anyone thinking of stopping halfway between Death Valley & Yosemite.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2013

If you're traveling north up 395 on your way to maybe Yosemite or Mammoth, the Independence Inn is the first motel you'll come to in Independence on the right hand side. Our suggestion is stop and take a room! Jim, the owner, demonstrates a tremendous pride in ownership of his recently fully renovated small comfortable inn. The rooms are immaculate with first rate things that matter like towels, and toilet paper, and the price is affordable and more resonable than that of other motels in the eastern Sierras. The view of the surrounding mountains from the front porch is the best in town. Jim is friendly and helpful and makes a great host.

Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

We didn't want to go to Lone Pine, then we decided to have a stop at Independence before going to Death Valley. The room was clean and the owner very nice and wifi was available for free. Before leaving he asked us if we had a map of Death Valley. As we had not, he nicely gave us one :) We left before the opening of the visitor center, so his map was very helpful during our trip in Death Valley. We recommend !

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Bonvoyagebien
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We came to Independence Inn to get some rest and have a shower after a 10 day backpacking trip to Mt whitney, and we found so much more. the room was charming and clean, the quilt covered bed comfortable, and Jim was friendly, helpful, and ready to talk. this is a wonderful little inn with exceptional value. Despite its proximity to the road, it was quiet (as the speed limit is 25 mph). the yard seemed to be professionally landscaped (but Jim did it) and the mountains looming over the town drew us to the front porch.
we didn't realize that breakfast was included or we would have sampled some of the homemade bread others have mentioned.
We will definitely be back when we are in that area!

1  Thank vacation32729