“Unexpected delight”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2014

It's not often that I pass through Independence, CA, but whenever I'm traveling on Highway 395 I make a point of dining at the Still Life Cafe. Though the menu is limited and service is slow, the quality of the food and creative preparation have never disappointed. Daily specials are listed on a blackboard, and on a recent visit included pasta primavera and a duck galantine. The wine list is French, reasonably priced, and extensive. The walls of the historic building are covered with watercolors and photographs. Though the owner/server sometimes appears indifferent, if you engage him in conversation, his response is interesting and informative. On our most recent visit, when we inquired about dessert after a birthday dinner, his wife/the chef returned to the kitchen and prepared a delicious chocolate/mango/whipped cream delight. If you're lucky, you'll be there on a slow weekday evening when this intriguing couple may charm you with some of their personal history, which stretches from Paris to Algeria, London, and Los Angeles before reaching this small town at the eastern edge of the High Sierra.

1  Thank Carol47Aptos

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My son urged me to dine here - and I am glad I did. I am not usually in the area for a meal but...while spending the night in town, I had dinner here. Excellent dinner! My husband and I both had french onion soup, which we enjoyed very much. I had a salade nicoise and he had a salmon burger, both of which were were very good as well. I wish I had had a burger but I was not hungry enough!The service was good and the atmosphere very pleasant, with baroque music in the background. Quite a pleasant surprise! I recommend it!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

What do a French/Algerian couple do when they leave France and come to the eastern Sierra? They open the best bistro with food and ambiance that can't be beat. The stilton burger is to die for and beef bourginon is heavenly. The wine list is extensive and excellent. It is located in an old historic building built in 1897 and the colorful walls are covered in paintings, drawings and photographs. Jazz or classical usually plays in the background. If you are in a hurry for your food eat across the street at Subway. I'm surprised the reviews here are not so good. Check the other rating sites so you get a good sampling. They give this place higher marks, which it deserves.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Slow? Glacial. We had no choice - nothing else in town was open. We were given menus that seemed like lunch, very limited with only a couple sandwiches and salads. As we left after a worse than mediocre hamburger and monte cristo, we saw for the first time a blackboard hidden behind another table with several dinner specials... Another nice touch I don't think anyone else mentioned was listening to the family squabbles in raised voices from the kitchen. Plus the dog barking. Wait. A dog in the kitchen???? Never again here.

1  Thank SDCAPPC
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Food was mediocre, service was slow, pretentious atmosphere. Unattentive service. Bathroom was not clean. When we arrived at 5:15pm, the staff stated we had to wait outside for 15 minutes because they were not ready yet for guests. The French onion soup was good, but way over priced for $12.00. Wine was decent. Would not recommend or go back.

2  Thank Susan C