Gran Hotel Benahavis
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Marbella(Marbella)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Avenida 31(San Pedro de Alcantara)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Paloma Blanca Boutique Hotel(San Pedro de Alcantara)
  • Pool
All reviewslovely hotelhalf boardtea and coffeelower poolsteep climblocal villagepool barsuperior roomcooked breakfastrelaxing breakup hillbuffet stylerestaurants and barssun loungersrooms are largepool areas areout of season
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Following a few poor reviews on here, we were dubious about booking this hotel, but am totally glad that we decided to see for ourselves. The hotel is set in an idyllic mountainous location, in a quiet town with enough restaurants and bars to keep you happy. The staff are friendly and helpful, and there are several benefits including free wi-fi, free parking, spa treatments, gym, and loads more.

The hotel is decorated very nicely and has a grand feel to it. There are lots of sporting activities on offer and Marbella is not too far away.

For the reasonable price of this hotel, I would 100% recommend it!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We visited as part of a cheap, end of season, package with Thomson so weren't expecting much. The hotel was not very full - not their problem (well I suppose it was in a way).
Large hotel at the head of a beautiful valley, 10-15km from coast. Walks in the hills above and below are pleasant, especially in October.
Staff all courteous and friendly. Breakfast plentiful and reasonable quality.
Rooms enormous. Bedding clean and not too tired.
Towels plentiful but getting near their end of life.
TV had British channels - didn't have to miss Strictly...
Pools lovely - my wife says the water was a bit cold.
Food - ok, not fantastic. Evening meal lack-luster. Nearby restaurants offer much greater variation in choice, price and quality - see my other reviews.

1  Thank mikewalker002
Reviewed 21 October 2013

....the reason for the recent poor reviews.
We live near Cadiz and are just back from a two night stay at the hotel. Having stayed in the vast majority of half decent to 5 star gold hotels in and around Marbella here is, in my humble opinion the true picture:
The hotel is perched just ouside the centre of the picturesque and beautifully kept gastronomic village of Benahavis. Great mountain air and about a 15 min drive to Marbella or Estepona - so an extremely good location.( assuming you have use of wheels )
The staff, although not many, in number were really friendly,helpful and efficient.
We only ate breakfast there but I do seem to definitely remember eating A1 quality fresh fruit and good quality scrambled eggs on toast. The pattiseries on offer were far far above average for Spain. On the flip side the coffee was average and the fruit juice looked pretty uninviting.
The rooms are of a very good size and clean.The main negative here was the use of synthetic bed protectors which together with average linen made for a rather sweaty sleeping experience.
The whole property is in a pretty good state but would benefit from a bit of extra maintenance.
The outdoor garden/pool area are exceptionally spacious and a good place to relax.
Now here's the bottom line - I challenge anyone to find a better offering at the price currently on offer.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We have just returned from our 3 night stay at this hotel.

Okay, let's get the good points out the way. Beautiful views, great restaurants in town and overall friendly and helpful staff.

Okay now time for the negative points.

The hotel is out dated and is in need of a revamp ASAP. The room we stayed in had a horrible smell, suspect from the constant flushing noise the toilet was making.

Breakfast was non existent. Flies all over the food. Beans were cold, tinned fruit and mushrooms. The worst was the tea machine , probably the worst cup of tea I have tasted in my life.

Pools were appalling. I was put off by using them as I didn't feel like sharing with two small frogs.

Spa was also a shame, steam room out of action, I'd rather not say the rest apart from being charged 4€ for flip flops.

The hotel has a lot of potential being in the location it is, but clearly it's being neglected and can predict the hotel losing its rating to a 2 * if things are not changed.

4  Thank Singh004
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We have recently returned from a 9 night stay at this hotel. Before we arrived I had read one or two not so good reviews. I think they mist have been staying somewhere else! We had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay on a B&B basis. The food was very good - although a second coffee machine would have been good. The pools and surroundings were excellent and sunbeds with mattresses ample.
Would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple