“Absolutely Perfect.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Madison, New Jersey, United States
“Absolutely Perfect.”
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from our second visit to Farmhouse Inn and it certainly won't be our last. The owners and hosts, Barry and Tory, are so welcoming, helpful, and conversational - they always know the most amazing places to eat, hike, and wander around in Woodstock and the surrounding area. The inn itself is gorgeous and the rooms are very comfortable and sunny. Breakfast is always delicious and features eggs from the farm's chickens, vegetables from Tory's kitchen, and meats/veggies from nearby farmers. We also quite enjoyed the things that make the inn unique - like the chance to sit and watch the chickens trot around the farm or the opportunity to sit in on a jam night hosted in the white barn. All in all, Farmhouse Inn is a beautiful, cozy, hospitable place to stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed here over the fourth of July holiday and had the most wonderful of times. Tory and Barry are the most accommodating of inn keepers. Happy to stay out of your hair or give you a fantastic tour and history lesson of the property, they really made our stay so great. The Inn and rooms are all impeccably restored, clean, tidy and stocked with local products. It's a real Vermont experience and only a short 10 minute drive to Woodstock for everything that has to offer. I really can't say enough great things about this place. Can't wait to go back!

Green Features: All the food and products are locally sourced, the Inn is perfectly restored with so much love and care.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Watertown, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We have stayed in many B&B's over the years, and the Farmhouse Inn is definitely one of the best! Tory and Barry are wonderfully warm hosts, the Inn is comfortable and inviting, and Tory's breakfasts are exquisite with farm fresh ingredients. Their attention to detail from the Inn's restoration to shepherding the land make this more than just a place to sleep. It is a home away from home.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlotte M
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed here for a night while travelling with another couple. From the moment we arrived we felt like we were at an old friends house.
A beautiful, and well looked after house, with an amazing historic barn, complete with horse, chickens and a rabbit
Could go on and on, but for us it was the little touches that really make the difference when we travel. Home made chocolate chip cookies on arrival, amazing breakfast including an eggnog latte
We really loved our stay and would absolutely stay there again if in the area

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ScottandSheree
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 January 2014

When my friend and I were planning a girls' get away for MLK weekend, all we were really looking for is a room with separate beds. What we found at the Farmhouse was so much more than that. As other reviewers have stated, the house, barn, and outbuildings are all historic, beautiful and so interesting to explore, but what really makes this B&B special are Tory and Barry. Their warmth and kindness make you feel at home from the moment you walk in the door. You can tell right away that they truly love their home and running the inn and the farm and it shows in all the attention to detail in the rooms, their positive and friendly attitude, and their *awesome* breakfasts. Each morning we were treated to egg from the farm that were so delicious, along with homemade yogurt, fresh fruit, and other incredible foods, as well as a great assortment of teas, coffee and juice. The guided tour of the barn was one of the highlights of our whole trip. What a treasure of a building! I truly cannot wait to bring my husband and son back to stay at this beautiful home and meet it's wonderful innkeepers.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed here for a night with our Australian friends on a driving vacation. We arrived to Tory's friendly welcome and an offer to go out to the barn with her to do her late afternoon chores. It was a lot of fun to meet the various farm animals and to get a full tour of the very old barn. Tory and her husband were going out that evening, and the four of us were the only guests in the house that evening, so Tory emphasized just to make ourselves at home and offered us the use of the kitchen utensils and fridge space for our drinks. She also laid out Scrabble for us since we mentioned we wanted just to hang out and play. We spent the evening with a pizza from Ramuto's and wine in front of their Christmas tree with Tilly the cat, just like we were family or friends at their house. Their daughter also came out and shared pictures and conversation with us. The room we stayed in was wonderfully comfortable and the shower had wonderful water pressure and was stocked with nice toiletries. The breakfast was superb, complete with awesome coffee (maple latte!). We bought a bag of homemade marshmallows to roast on our trip, which were also very good. Can't say enough about this wonderful place-- we'd love to go back someday.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I have much to say, so I tried organizing my thoughts here:

House and Barn
The rugged farmhouse is over a hundred years old and was home to a very large family. It's impressive!

Like the house, the barn is also over a century old and formidable. I learned it's a local landmark and makes regular appearances on postcards and calendars. Tory took me through it.

Accommodations
All the rooms have been modified to have their own bathrooms en suite. Those enhancements to this century old house have been tastefully made. The rooms are handsomely appointed with classic furnishings. It was obvious that they paid a lot of attention to details and everything was just where I'd expect it if it were my own home. As a result, it felt like the home I've always wanted. Everything is nice but not so nice that you're not allowed to touch; it's all meant to be used and appreciated. Very comfortable.

Oh! And my bed and bedding was just like what I choose to have in my home (which is a good thing). High thread count and warm.

The food was generous, fresh, wholesome, tasty and honest. They happily shared several recipes with me. Their eggs, like their maple syrup and honey, are produced onsite. I got to meet the hens and collect the eggs myself. They buy mostly local and organic and make many things from scratch (we made yogurt and butter). They also use the produce from their garden (though it was out of season during my stay).

Local Insights
Tory and Barry were knowledgeable about all the things going on in town that didn't appear on the websites and made perfect recommendations for me. For instance, they helped me find a great local producer of maple syrup. When the inn runs out of the maple syrup they produce onsite, they buy it from this local artisan producer. I bought a couple gallons and mailed it home. It's hard to imagine another way to get that kind of deep local insight. There were a number of other insights/tips/recommendations they shared.

Connectivity
I did have to keep an eye on work so internet connectivity was important. They had WiFi. The signal was fine throughout the house. I could pick any room, get comfy and check e-mail.

It was so comfortable, I spent nearly the whole week devouring several books in the living room, drinking hot coffee/cocoa while the snow fell outside. It was the perfect vacation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo