I was really looking forward to staying at the Woodstock Inn. I'd walked through the public spaces previously, and found them to be very nice and "New Englandy." While that is still the case, my overall experience was just ok.
We stayed in the "Tavern Wing" which supposedly is a step above the standard room (it also costs a bit more). I cannot compare since I haven't been in a standard...but all in all I would not describe it as luxurious which is, I think, how the Inn bills itself. The carpeting was attractive but had some stains. The bedding was, as advertised, very nice. The Inn is a bit handicapped as it is an old building, and thus, the space is what is is. The bathroom had been renovated, and while not tiny, it's certainly not large (but short of gutting the place, not much you can do...hence my commented about being handicapped by age). I think it's the little things that make a place luxurious, and two things, in particular, stuck out to me. First, the towels were, at best, average. At this price point I expected something far above average. Also, the thermostat in the room. It was some antiquated thing with "low-medium-high" settings....I couldn't find any actual temp control...nor could I figure out how to turn it off. As it turned out, the weather was temperate and we kept the windows open...but this just seemed very out of place.
A few other random observations. They advertise turndown service, but in our three night stay, it never happened. The staff was very pleasant. Tea/cookies at 4PM was nice. Location is the best in town. Fitness center is a mile and half away...so you either have to take a shuttle or drive...makes no sense to me.
In the end, it was not the special experience I had hoped to have with my wife. Consequently, next time around, we will try someplace else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Large and luxurious traditional Vermont inn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Preferred Hotels, Ebookers, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your Woodstock Inn and Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woodstock Hotel Woodstock
- Woodstock Resort
- Woodstock Inn Vermont
- Woodstock Inn And Resort Vermont