“Best in town!!!”

Price range: US$5 - US$26
Cuisines: American, Latin, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our goal is to provide you and your guest with a casual fine dining experience where classic New England cuisine meets with subtle tropical flavors. !Let Melaza be your Place for Dining.....Enjoy Melaza's relaxed and refined atmosphere featuring outdoor seating on the front patio and back terrace. (Weather permitting). We offer Gluten Free, Tapas and Diner options.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Hands down, this is the best restaurant we found in Woodstock, Vermont. The food has Puerto Rican touches, not something one expects to find in Vermont. Everything we had was wonderful, especially the plantain cups filled with pulled chicken ... off the chart. Main courses were spectacular. If you like seafood, try the pan seared scallops. They were artfully presented over saffron risotto and a delicate curry coconut lime sauce. This restaurant could be a star in any major city, to find it in a tiny picture postcard village in Vermont is amazing. If you are int he area ... GO!

1  Thank 124C41NewEngland

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our dinner was spectacular. Compliments go out to our server Robin for suggesting the specials, they were OFF the hook. We were told the chef is David Diaz, and I can vouch that his dishes are simply phenomenal. So while visiting this quaint New England town take a moment to stop in and surprise your palet' with some Caribbean eclectic food.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

It took 2 hours and 15 minutes to eat. The remarkable thing about his is that the food came quickly right after we ordered it and we did not have appetizers.

So, first they took the drink order. The wine was reasonably priced. The Mojito lacked lime and mint (so was it a real mojito?) Then the server disappeared. Wierdly, there were a bunch of staff that were scurring around, but we had to search for the server. We had to ask for bread. When she did take our order, the food came in a reasonable amount of time and was quite good. The server forgot to get the second glass of wine that we had ordered. Then came the wait for dessert. The server forgot to mention that 2 members of our party could have key lime pie for free for Father's Day. Then came the wait for coffee. Then came the wait for the check. Then came the wait to pay the check. Then came the wait to get the credit cards back. So we were there for hours and did not order appetizers and the food came rapidly and nicely prepared when we ordered it. There were plenty of staff around doing god knows what. It was a pretty bizarre experience. Even though we liked the food, I don't think we will be going back.

david d, Owner at Melaza Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hello,
Thank you for letting me know about your experience. While I'm glad you enjoyed our food, I'm sorry you felt about our service, There is nothing more unsatisfying for us than knowing that a customer left our restaurant with a negative outlook. We apologize for any inconvenience. As such, I'll be sure to use your feedback to better serve our guests going forward.

We appreciate your comments and hope to see you again on your next trip to Woodstock.

David Diaz

Reviewed 4 June 2014

You already know Woodstock, Vermont, is one of the great visits in New England. When you're there, don't miss the chance for a wonderful Caribbean meal at Melaza on the main street about one hundred feet from the charming town center. Our kids require a dinner there on every visit, and that's fine with us. Chef David's buttery-tender guava-glazed pork shanks and heavenly sea scallops are just the beginning; every dish is worth a trip. The staff is friendly and knowledgable. Try the outdoor tables in nice weather, and enjoy every bite!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We were unsure where to eat on our first night in Woodstock, so we took the advice of our innkeeper who listed a few area places to eat. As it was my boyfriend's birthday, we chose Melaza as a nice place to sit and celebrate. I am so glad we did. We started with the mariquitas, fried green plantains - a meal that this Spanish teacher has had many times before. I have never been so impressed with them. For my boyfriend, they were a revelation, and I fear that they are ruined for him forever. For our main courses, he had the swordfish. He still talks about the sauce it was cooked in. If I could learn to make it, I'm pretty sure I'd have him forever. I was torn between a lamb special and the filet medallions, which I finally decided on. They were cooked to perfection and served beautifully. I enjoyed a wonderful Garnacha wine while he drank a guava mojito whuch he raved about. For dessert, he had a tres leches cake and I had the key lime pie. Both were excellent, a perfect ending to an incredible meal. We can't wait to go back to the Caribbean bistro in Woodstock, VT.

1  Thank JosephP1201