“Nice for New Year's Eve”
Review of Kedron Valley Inn

Kedron Valley Inn
Ranked #18 of 31 Restaurants in Woodstock
Price range: US$10 - US$24
Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at Grist Mill House, just down the road from Kedron Valley Inn. What a pleasure to stroll down the street for two minutes to our very nice New Year's Eve dinner! We ate in the cozy tavern room, which, with a blazing fireplace and smaller capacity, was more welcoming than the larger dining room. Our meal was pricey but very tasty--the agnolotti (sweet potato pasta) were fluffy and light, the scallops perfectly prepared (although one more would have been nice), and the Bouche Noel suitably decadent. The bubbly was reasonably priced and our server was unusually pleasant and helpful. And with just a quick stroll back to Grist Mill House under a starry sky, we felt we'd made a great choice for ringing in the new year!

1  Thank MAP27

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We read some great reviews in Trip Advisor, so we made the trip out to the Kedron Inn. The staff was friendly and accommodating, but the food was incredibly average. I ordered their special, but they had already sold the last one. So, I ordered the turkey pot pie. It was okay, but rather bland. We were disappointed.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Perhaps I was expecting too much. The service was pleasant, the Inn is simply gorgeous - it was worth the trip just to sit in the dining room alone - but 'out of this world food' it was not. My husband ordered the chicken pot pie and said it was OK, nothing more. My salmon on lentils was just that - a piece of salmon on a pile of green lentils, which was just OK too. The caramel brownie was lovely, but very small. Overall it was nice - but one of the restaurant highlights of our trip it was not.

1  Thank AngieNSW
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I was staying at the KVI but would have dined here anyway as it's one of those off-the-beaten path, authentic spots you can easily get to and be well rewarded for the brief drive (down one simple road--106--about ten minutes from the green; no turning, no tricks, no traffic).

There are two dining rooms, one slightly larger and more formal and a tavern room with bar and giant fireplace. The same menu is available in both. I ate alone in the tavern which had a perfectly authentic atmosphere with a few different nooks. I loved this room. I saw a few sets of locals come in for drinks and dinner which I thought was pretty telling. They were very busy the night I was there but I never waited for service, drinks, food, etc. and the staff in the restaurant really is incredibly friendly and authentic and attentive, happy to serve you, very helpful and a pleasure to talk with.

I had the romaine citrus salad with wedge of Vt. blue cheese, rabbit pappardelle, really great malbec, and creme brulee. Salad was perfectly refreshing, crisp, with a clean, fresh dressing, but might want a slightly more robust blue. I kinda got the rabbit as a test, since I've occasionally had rabbit and it ends up tasting like nothing, but this was really great. Completely satisfying and flavorful dish, delicate, and not over-wrought like a lot of pasta dishes can become outside of a strictly italian kitchen. This was really controlled and perfect, I thought. There were lots of desserts to choose from and the creme brulee was exactly right; you could be more adventurous than me though.

It really has all the pieces of the puzzle. I liked it here a lot and would definitely come back, both to stay and dine.

2  Thank la2npt
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This place was not good. Sorry, I hate giving bad reviews but when you have Christmas lights in the fireplace it's a bad sign. Hmm... where to start, the turkey pieces in the turkey pot pie are cold and hard, Sodas were flat, Steak was at least half warm. Tomatoes not good in the Caprese. Disappointed in tripadvisor.

1  Thank mustbluv