“Fantastic Winter Getaway”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bridgeport, Connecticut
“Fantastic Winter Getaway”
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went up to the Jackson House Inn for a nice quiet weekend and chance to ski, and had an amazing experience! The innkeepers were incredibly thoughtful and present, the breakfast was to die for, our room was beautifully decorated and we were less than 30 minutes from the mountain!! We will be back again next year for sure!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Jackson House Inn for two nights, and it could not have been more perfect. Rick and Kathy are gracious hosts, and all of the laudatory comments about Rick's breakfasts have not been oversold. He sources local ingredients and uses his natural talents to present the best breakfasts you will ever have. Beyond breakfast, the inn is posh yet comfortable, with wonderful beds, decadent bathrooms, and impeccable grounds. Rick and Kathy know how to do B & B. They're warm, and make you feel completely at home, while also creating a sense of privacy for their guests. Woodstock is a charming town, and this is a wonderful place to stay. You can't go wrong here, and you'll vow to return.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Stockbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I cannot recall an experience at an inn that was as comprehensively beyond expectations as our entire visit to Jackson House Inn. Rick's welcome reception and personal introduction to the inn, the grounds, and the room was generous and warm. The inn as so well maintained, neat, and inviting, and the room was exceptional: beautiful view of the immaculate and expansive grounds; the furnishings were superior; everything was pristine and gleamed; the AC was silent (inside and out by the compressor! a real improvement over other places we have stayed); and the therapy tub offered relief for weary travelers. Kathy is just as present with respect to attention as Rick, and she arranged a reservation at a restaurant that proved to be one of the very best in the area. And, you have to make sure you attend one of Rick's breakfast happenings. His passion for the culinary arts and local foods is beyond anything we've ever experienced, and he presented each course with articulate and astute grace. Gourmet - 10 stars! Rick and Kathy clearly care about everything and everyone, and it shows! Simply perfect, thank you!

Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I've stayed here with a group of friends for a skiing weekend the last two winters. I was just day dreaming about how lovely the grounds would be in the summer and thought I'd write Kathy and Rick the glowing review they deserve.

Kathy and Rick are the epitome of hospitality. They gave us a warm welcome when we arrived and spoke with us about our weekend plans. They gave great advice for skiing and suggestions for other local activities, like visiting Sugarbush Farm for maple syrup and cheese tasting (a must!). Kathy continued to check on how we were doing throughout the weekend, even when there were many other guests to attend to.

The rooms are well maintained and kept very clean. I was impressed at how modern the rooms felt without compromising the character and rural charm of the house and surroundings. Both of the rooms I stayed in were large had the beds were very comfortable. The bath products they use are divine - my shower felt almost spa-like. The dining and sitting area, which is available for guests at any time, is bright, comfortable, and has large windows that look over their gorgeous grounds.

Rick's breakfasts are amazing - they are delicious, unique, and highlight the local ingredients that he clearly takes great pride in serving. I have a gluten intolerance and Rick was far more accommodating than I even requested. While my friends enjoyed brioche french toast, he made me a root vegetable hash with a poached egg that was flavorful and a perfect start to a full day of skiing. He made sure that I had gluten free crackers on hand later for the cheese we bought from the lovely farmers' market just down the road. My friends and I sat by the cozy fireplace and enjoyed our farmers' market treats with a bottle of wine that Rick helped us choose from his fantastic selection.

There's nothing I can think to improve about my weekends at the Jackson House Inn. The Inn is a real gem in Woodstock, and Kathy and Rick's warmth and generosity make the entire experience blissful. I can't wait to go back next winter for what seems to have become an annual pilgrimage.

Green Features: Kathy and Rick serve locally sourced, organic ingredients that support the Woodstock community, minimize their negative impact on the environment, and make the breakfast unforgettable!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Del Mar, California
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Jackson House five times in the past year during all four seasons and would not think of staying anywhere else in the Woodstock area. Kathy and Rick Terwelp, the owners and hosts, are a perfect combination of caring, welcoming and accommodating people who bend over backwards to make sure that every need is met but who are never in the way when a little privacy is needed.

The location is handy, about five minutes from town, so out of the hubbub of the village. The lovely front porch was a perfect place to watch the fireworks display, across the street at the high school, on a recent visit. the grounds are gorgeous and lovingly tended. There is plenty of room to wander and enjoy the special outdoor 'rooms' that have been created by Kathy and Rick on their large property. We loved seeing Rick out in the herb garden cutting thyme to complement our breakfast entries....at 7am!

The building itself is lovely and beautifully furnished. We've now stayed in four different rooms and each is more beautiful than the next. All are outfitted with comfortable well-dressed beds and spacious well-lighted bathrooms. We needed good internet connectivity during our visits and it is provided free of additional charge. The breakfast room is the most perfect setting I can imagine in which to start the day.

And the breakfasts....fresh, locally-sourced produce that is prepared by Rick, who starts his day at 4am to assure delicious food that feeds all of one's senses. The combinations of ingredients are amazingly creative and delicious. The breakfasts even worked for a low-glycemic diet we've been following.

Kathy and Rick are largely responsible for our decision to make Woodstock the location for a second home. The only sad part is that, while we'll be able to see them more often, we won't be staying there once we have our own place!

Room Tip: I don't think one can go wrong in choosing any room. The two first floor suites are handicapped...
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 22 July 2013

If you are going to stay one night in Vermont, stay at the Jackson House Inn! They have taken breakfast to an elevated level. It can't be more perfect.
The Inn is surounded by a beautifully kept garden with floral sections, a bridge, a pond and several spots for relaxation.
We were overwelmed by the charming hospitality and knowledge from Kathy and Rick, the innkeepers. We just love the place and hope to get back.

Mamaroneck, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The Jackson House Inn is located on absolutely stunning grounds, and it's quite romantic to take stroll through the gardens. There are unique topiary and floral sections, and my husband and I really enjoyed exploring. Additionally, the beds are incredibly comfortable, and our breakfast was locally-sourced and amazingly delicious.

Two annoyances: First, there is a fairly busy highway nearby that you can hear as you sit and relax. Second, I had the feeling that the owner was not too fond of my husband and me (she even asked us to move breakfast tables!). I think that the second point is probably neither here nor there for most people who stay there (obviously, this seemed to be a personal, rather than a general issue), but I do include it in the spirit of full disclosure.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
kterwelp, Owner at Jackson House Inn, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to contribute to our profile on this site. We are particularly grateful for your kind words about the landscape, the room and the breakfast. It is very important to us that every aspect of your stay, whether in the room or on the grounds leaves you with a sense of comfort. We were sorry to hear that you experienced two negatives during your visit. Our outdoor seating and our inside spaces are focused as much as possible toward the garden side of the building in a deliberate attempt to take full advantage of a peaceful, quiet atmosphere. And, the dining room circumstance was a most unfortunate complication that I was unable to privately explain to you prior to your leaving. We have reflected on our service to ensure that, if a similar situation were to occur again, no one would feel anything but welcomed.