“Perfect Spot for a Wedding”
Review of Jackson House Inn

Jackson House Inn
Ranked #1 of 16 Woodstock B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 January 2014

In July of 2011, a few short months before I was to depart for Afghanistan, I wanted to take my future wife to a beautiful Inn in Vermont. I am extremely picky as to where I lay my head at night. I checked all the reviews for the Woodstock area, and I decided to take her to the only Inn that did not have a negative review. I was not disappointed! Our wonderful experience began immediatately upon check-in when Kathy (she and her husband Rick are the Inn-Keepers and owners of The Jackson House Inn) greeted us. She was very genuine and accommodating. She was a wealth of knowledge not only about the area in terms of what to do, but of many local restaurants. I chose one of the suites that had a jacuzzi and it was beautiful. The breakfest that Rick makes every morning for guests is to die for. All the ingredients are from local farms in the area. It was a beautiful romantic weekend, just what I needed with Afghanistan on the horizon. We enjoyed the Inn, and the beautiful grounds so much, I told my future wife, we should get married at the Inn once I return. She agreed. The determining factor was Kathy and Rick's warm and caring personalities. It's not just an Inn to them, it's their home! Upon arriving back safely from Afghanistan in 2012, we made a trip back to the Jackson House, and promptly started to plan our wedding for Labor Day weekend 2013. Rick and Kathy walked us through all the many details and put out any small fires we came across during our planning for our beautiful wedding. They had a list of florists, tent folks, caterers, linen folks, photographers, and a wonderful Justice of the Peace named Mary. All of the quality people they suggested were terrific. As in any wedding planning, the unexpected always comes up, but Kathy and Rick were always there for us time and time again giving the extra effort. We asked them if they could come up with some wedding favors, and they came up with several we could choose from. In terms of the wine selection for our wedding, Rick was extremely knowledgeable, and was a tremendous help. Rick cares for the grounds, and had them looking perfect for our wedding. He takes great pride and it shows as you can see by the pictures. On the weekend of the wedding, Rick and Kathy were there to ensure that everything went off without a hitch. Initially it looked like we would have rain. They quickly set things up inside. We decided to gamble, as the rain abruply ended (thanks to prayers to our departed parents no doubt) they then without complaint, quickly moved the venue outside, and we enjoyed a 45 minute period with no rain. We got our outside wedding after all, as well as all the outside pictures!. We cannot thank them enough for all the assistance they provided to us throughout the whole wedding planning. Although it was stressful planning our wedding at times, knowing that Kathy and Rick were in the background to assist us gave us peace of mind. Especially since we live 3 1/2 hours away! We look forward to future stays at our "2nd home". It's always a very peacful weekend when we visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul L
There are newer reviews for Jackson House Inn

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We have been going to the Jackson House Inn for years now and always look forward to our visit. The inn has been beautifully restored, I even sent pictures of the bathroom to a friend that is renovating her bathroom. Rick and Kathy are the owners and are always welcoming and take care of anything you need. Also one thing that you will never find anywhere else is Ricks breakfast!!!! Seriously, I have dreams about it, he is so passionate about food and it really shows, he is like a 5 star chef! We love Woodstock and would never stay anywhere else, it is always such a treat!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

One of the best B&B's in Woodstock. The owner's are professional, friendly and genuine. Lovely historical inn that the owners take a lot of pride in. The period pieces are very well kept and lend to the atmosphere. We stayed on the third floor in one of the suites. It was too cold to enjoy the balcony, but enjoyed the fireplace in the room instead. The bathroom was roomy and only has a shower, which I'm fine with. Only complaint is that the bathroom could really use in floor heating or a heater as the marble was very cold. Room also had TV and cable service and I wish the TV was bigger than the 15 inches.There are a lot of reviews already about the amazing breakfasts and I have to say, they did live up to the hype. Chef Rick has a lot of of passion for his craft and it comes across loud and clear. The dining room room was added onto the house later on and is a beautiful and relaxing room. There are separate dining tables and all have a view of the beautiful back yard and/or large fireplace. Inn does have a small bar and the owners will gladly serve you a very good selection of imported wines or mixed drinks. I recommend if staying in the colder months to grab a drink and have a seat by the fire. Will definitely make another trip back to this inn.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are suites, balcony and have less foot traffic
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim A
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I challenge anyone to find a better inn anywhere in America, the attention to detail, the care and passion taken over the breakfast. We stayed in a lot of wonderful inns during our tour of new,England but without doubt this was the best. We are already saving for or return trip. Try it you won't be disappointed and the a
Balcony rooms are worth the extra as are Kathy' and Rick. X

Room Tip: Balcony rooms have amazing views and lounge area but if on a budget all rooms are fabulous
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

If you're looking to stay in the Woodstock area, and prefer a smaller inn experience, you have to stay at the Jackson House Inn. The owners are very welcoming and are proud of the historical Inn that they run. Everyone comments about the breakfasts, and it's all true. We loved the explanations of each locally sourced ingredient. The flavor combinations were out of this world. I only wish that lunch and dinner were also served as I'd eat every meal there! The room was nice and we liked the new jacuzzi tub. It actually got so warm inside with the fireplace we had to open the door to let some cool air in. Our only issue was that we could hear people walking back/forth upstairs quite loudly. If this bothers you, pick an upstairs room. For dinner, we ate at Simon Pearce and the Red Rooster in the Woodstock Inn, both we really enjoyed. Can't wait to go back and have more gourmet breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

What a beautiful inn, including the gorgeous grounds. Our excellent room overlooked the gardens, and the dusting of snow on Sunday morning added a perfect touch! Breakfast is overwhelming - delicious, and enough rich food to last you until dinner. Had heard reports of the bacon with brown sugar and pecans and it was truly excellent.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I'm not big on leaving reviews but this is one place where I absolutely had to leave one. My wife and I took a trip to Woodstck from CT for a quiet weekend without the kids. After reading various reviews of B&B's in the area I chose the Jackson House Inn. We were absolutely delighted with our decision. The Inn itself was fabulous. The rooms were nicely furnished and super clean. We stayed in the Francesca suite, which was a slightly larger room with a great view of the grounds. Although the Inn itelf was great, what makes a B&B, in my opinion, is the innkeepers. Kathy and Rick were the best. From the moment we arrived through checkout, they provided first class hospitality. Rick's breakfasts were out of this world. In fact, I suggested he publish a cookbook. The food he prepares is not your typical bacon and eggs with a side of bacon type of breakfasts. He uses only the freshest vermont ingredients and prepares them in a way that will just blow your pallet away. If you are headed anywhere near Woodstock, VT and need a GREAT place to stay, look no further, this is the place!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple