“I was delighted! Repeatedly!”
Review of Cadiz El Chico

Cadiz El Chico
Ranked #3 of 34 Restaurants in Grazalema
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Five stars because it's the best food in town, and much cheaper than a similar-level meal would cost in my small town America home. I enjoyed several meals at Cádiz El Chico during a week-long stay in Grazalema, January 2013. Everything I tasted was wonderful, well prepared and presented. My first meal there was with Spanish friends who did the ordering for me. We started with garlic-stuffed olives, jamon (Spanish ham) and cheese, and moving on to the main courses and ending with a chocolate...I think they called it a bombe but there was no ice cream in it...it was more a very rich chocolate pudding. So good I couldn't stop eating, so rich I couldn't finish it! We enjoyed excellent wines plus whisky with the dessert.

I was alone on my next visits and enjoyed a lunch of grilled veal, fries, and sweet pimentos, and a dinner of Grazalema soup (a working man's soup of milk base with diced ham, chorizo sausage, boiled egg, and other good stuff) and a main course of fish with fries. I tried several other Grazalema eating establishments, enjoyed them all, but none can compare with Cádiz El Chico, which is on the main plaza across the street from the old church.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Have eaten there several times but service is poor & quality of food variable. No longer our first choice, & has no outdoor seating. Also more expensive than is justified.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Granted, we were there at a slow time, but we weren't the first ones in, and yet the big-screen television was the entertainment of the night, and the staff was intent on it. (These screens have become the bane of many a restaurant these days.)

As for the food, my wife's prawns were fine, but served only on chopped lettuce with no sides. My cod was also done well, but the sides were pathetic, a few pieces of oil-sogged potatoes and a tablespoonful of a soggy vegetable melange.

During our visit to Grazalema, we did better elsewhere.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Along with two (spanish speaking) friends my husband and i spent New Years Eve at Cadiz el Chico, the food was really really good and the waiter was friendly and helpful. With it being New Years Eve the restaurant was full but we were attended to in plenty of time and our food arrived in a timely fashion.

A nice extra was the free grapes and bottle of sparkling wine along with disposable glasses which we were given to take away with us, we then saw in New Year in the town square just by the restaurant, celebrating with our free bubbly.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

We ate at Cadiz el Chico on two evenings this last weekend. We need not have booked because it seems all the action is at lunchtime. The service and helpfulness of the waiters was just as I have come to expect in my years in Spain from a quality small country restaurant, i.e. very good.
The food is all from the region and it is a region rich in locally cured ham and other pork products as well as good vegetables. One of our party was a vegetarian and the restaurant went out of its way to provide a veggie option, nothing special but very acceptable in an area which is not renowned for catering to such tastes.
Among the dishes we sampled were osso buco, eisbein, rabbit stew, ham and related pork products - chorizo, cana de lomo etc. - and an excellently presented and delicious dish of fried aubergines with honey. (I attach a photo). If I had to make a criticism, it would be that some of the meat dishes had been cooked earlier and warmed up, or so it appeared, so that it may be better to get there at lunchtime when they are at their best.
All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our dinners at Cadiz el Chico and look forward to eating there the next time we are in Grazalema.

1  Thank Oldmanwillow