“Luxury escape in the heart of Buckhead”

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #1 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sarasota, Florida, United States
“Luxury escape in the heart of Buckhead”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My boyfriend & I recently returned from a stay at the beautiful MO, Atlanta. All the "givens" for a luxury hotel are there but for me what made this a great stay were the little things. The vibe when you walk in is clean, elegant luxury (not stuffy). The spacious Mandarin Terrace Room (681sqf) feels homey and sumptuous all at once. The shower head is fantastic; it feels like a massage with each shower. Janice (concierge) is especially helpful & seemed genuinely interested in making our stay in Atlanta everything we wanted & more. She even gave us a handwritten note with a little present at the end of our stay. The car service is a huge plus and both drivers are top notch. We ate breakfast & lunch a few times at the hotel restaurant. I had no problems finding something to cater to my gluten free diet, and each meal was delicious. The gym is a little small but still has everything needed for a good workout. Overall this a beautiful property with excellent service. I would highly recommend a stay here if you are in Atlanta.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
I enjoyed your review so much and totally agree that it is the "little things" that make the difference. That is what we work so hard to accomplish and knowing we did that is greatly appreciated. I also thank you for your compliments of our concierge, Janice. We are so pleased to have her on our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor.

Robert Lowe, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This is a great hotel choice, particularly if you Pre-book on one of their packages. Having stayed at other US MO's my expectations were not that high but the hotel was a very pleasant surprise - efficient and welcoming staff, beautiful rooms with a proper bath tub with all the modern features you would expect. Decor throughout is first rate and the breakfast is excellent. Lots of restaurants and shops near by if you need them. All in highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Many thanks for the five star review!!! Hopefully we will be welcoming you back again soon.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We just happened to spend an extra evening in Atlanta. This hotel is gorgeous and the service extremely well-polished. Our previous experience, when the hotel was under a different management, was not stellar. Now with the MO team, all is wonderful. Great breakfast, spa and pool, and their delightful English garden. The baths are done in marble, huge soaking tub and large separate shower. Their complimentary items in the bath are superb. Highly recommend this hotel. Check for package deals. Valet, breakfast, up-grades are available.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side, views are stunning.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
We definitely agree that we are an "oasis" in the heart of Buckhead and thank you for the wonderful compliments. We are looking forward to your return soon and often and appreciate the wonderful review you have shared with TripAdvisor readers.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Beautiful facility, especially the spa. An all-round good stay. Too bad Buckhead has lost the fun vibe it had in the late 1980s and into the 90's and now is only a staid enclave for the rich. What that means for me is that there is no longer a vibrant nightlife and no place to walk to for a good breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review and your comments about the hotel. I would like to say that Buckhead is currently in the process of major changes and wonderful new additions in terms of new restaurants, nightlife and overall outdoor experience. Among other things, more sidewalks have been added and there is a large walking/jogging path currently in development. So please continue to return to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta and experience the new exciting changes that are evolving in Buckhead.

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

As usual, when in Atlanta, I stayed at my favorite hotel. Each time I return, I'm never disappointed, actually the hotel gets better each time. Room service is timely and accurate. I highly recommend The Mandarin Oriental Atlanta.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your comments with TripAdvisor. We look forward to continuing to making you feel as comfortable and welcome as possible and to welcoming you back again soon.

Toulon, France
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I dislike Atlanta - especially the mental traffic jams around the city and the lack of atmosphere - the GTA being a jamming together of different hoods - blame the European genes for this view!

However, there is a jewel in this crown - and here we have the Mandarin Oriental - which is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in across the States, surpassing everywhere else by a country mile. Let me tell you why.

For a start, it feels a lot more European than a glass high rise with bits n bobs stuck in it. Tick in the box right off the bat. Arriving totally knackered off the British Airways from London, I was instantly energised by the friendly welcome from the porters and the front desk. Along with being very impressed by the decor, and sense of space the jet lag faded, a bit.

My home for 4 nights - a Mandarin Terrace Room - pretty spacious at over 600 sq feet about 56-57 sq meters if you like decimal(!) - fabulous linens and fitments along with a superior bath accompanied by great Shanghai Tang toiletries.

I can't comment on the dining as we ate out every night - but the breakfasts were sublime - and the staff great. Not in your face, but there when you need them and super friendly and efficient. Exactly what I like and expect. Excellent. AND unlike the Ritz-Carlton or St Regis of which I have experience - the hands are not out expecting a tip every time you interact, which is a pleasure.

Some complain about the extra $$ for internet. I happen to concur a bit - but the service at the MO Atlanta is superior, super-fast and seems to have been thought out rather well.

Robert - your staff members are brilliant; it is close to my favourite hotel in the world (Sofitel St. James London) in terms of execution, staff friendliness and ability) and that is the biggest compliment I can give anyone!

Thanks again - hope to be with you in a month or so!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you ever so much for the fabulous review and for your "big compliment"!! I enjoyed reading your in-depth comments and have shared them with the entire staff. Thank you again and we are definitely looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 May 2013

The good: Amazingly beautiful physical property right in the heart of buckhead - well located to shopping and restaurants. Rooms are well appointed (odd kinks like small shower heads in some though). Shanghai tang toiletries are a plus. 7 series dropoff and pickup within close quarters. Trader Joe's down the street. Lots of beautiful vehicles and people milling around. Great gym and spa.

The bad:

Room service food. I have seen Doubletrees and Hyatt places do better for breakfast. Rubbery scrambled eggs and uncooked bfast potatoes. Yuck. What a farce. We were checking out so didn't bother.

Staff service still leaves a lot to be desired. Details below.

The ugly:

Not sure that staff REALLY get what MO service is all about. They seem to take a somewhat causal Atlanta flair to it, and maybe it is just me, but I didn't appreciate the smartass doorman when we returned late at night, nor the multiple requests for an item in the room -bellboy eagerly accepted generous (double figure) tip, but never followed up. Staff seem to cater to the basketball and rap celebs who frequent the place.

Details:

My business associate booked me in for a night here as we were flying out together the next day to Asia, and he figured a weekend stay warranted a relaxing stay. His assistant had found a rate on the internet that included parking, (and possibily breakfast and internet), and a room upgrade based on availability. They knew how much I liked MO properties, and I wanted to try ATL. When checking in, I was told I got a room upgrade, even though, I found out later, that the room was just what had been booked. We had a little service issue that my assistant later provided detailed feedback on to the hotel, and the response was little more than a form letter, amounting to 'too bad, so sad...will follow up with relevant department.' VERY different from usual MO approach. As others have noted, staff does seem to be ready for their tips at every turn. We had two bags upon leaving, but dealt with no less than 5 people from room to car, and all had their palms greased. NOT that they ever asked mind you. The room service which was included in the rate, was well presented, but really nothing notable at all. We just didn't have time to deal with it. The bathroom was spacious and really luxurious, but odd details stuck out - like the decision to still install small showerheads like it was your run of the mill doubletree, despite all the other luxury touches. Rooms were clean, and well laid out, and really quite lovely. The car service is a nice touch, but again, the staff just goes through the motions and doesn't listen very well. The concierge service was a mixed bag. One lady did not know of the world famous holeman and finch restaurant or their legendary burger. Really - a concierge and you don't watch the umpteen programs on the travel and food channel that cover your city and include holeman and finch? She also got us a reservation to a restaurant that was quite a bit later than we wanted. One call to our amex concierge and they got one 45 mins earlier! Another concierge however, got us the password for Prohibition the VERY AWESOME speakeasy style bar. She also however ensured that we came down in PERSON to get details, which was not terrible, but still annoying, since I am guessing it was to increase chances of a tip. If it had to be written down, a note sent up with the bellboy would have been fine. Again, the interest and convenience of the guest seemed to take a back seat to that of the staff. I am not sure if this is training or management related (usually both in my experience), but the reason I still remain "a fan" is due to excellent experiences with the MO brand in other locations, so will cut this relatively new property some slack and hope that they work on some of the staff training; polish, courtesy, professionalism and attention to detail issues.

This hotel does well since it competes with others in Atlanta, so the bar is tenuous at best. We will return since we loved the location, the physical plant, the rooms and the spa, but will know what to expect in the level of staff capability and service, and will bring lots of smaller notes for tips, and make meal plans outside.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank YHD
I have read your very detailed description of your visit with us and, of course, truly regret that we were a disappointment to you. We will certainly take all of your comments seriously and will review them with the staff. I very much want you to continue to return and feel that you will have a different and much better impression of us each time that you do visit the hotel. In the meantime, thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for choosing Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta.