“Modern worldly feel in a Southern city”

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #4 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have travelled to Atlanta many times and I have always stayed at the St. Regis.I thought I would try The Mandarin for a change after reading the high marks. Having now stayed at both, I feel it is an apples to apples comparison. They are both really top notch high-end hotels. It just depends on the style you are looking for.
The Mandarin is sleek. The design is clean lines, black and white décor with a slight Asian flair and modern art . It would fit beautifully in NYC, Tokyo or Beijing. The room was spacious. The toiletries were generous and high end. The restaurant had a lovely breakfast.
The St. Regis is oozing Southern charm. You will envision Scarlett O'Hara walking down the grand staircase in the lobby. The décor is luxe and very feminine with lots of extra touches on every pillow and drape. The toiletries are also high end and the restaurant is very good.
While I prefer the décor of the St. Regis if you are new to the American South, I will say that the Mandarin has a slight edge due to its walking distance to the great shopping and restaurants. I have also had some customer service issues at St. Regis which drop it down a few points.

1  Thank popartpooch
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for your gracious compliments. We are driven by our mission to completely delight and satisft our guests. It is a commitment we strive for daily and your kind words are our fuel. With much graditute we hope to be able to provide you a luxurious experience here at Mandarin Oriental Atlanta soon!

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I was glad to have stayed at this newer MO in Atlanta. I felt very secure in the room and the staff were friendly and helpful. However, it lacks the polish and elegance of the other MO properties. Furthermore, this hotel also appears much smaller; it does not have wow factor upon entrance. But give it time and this property will flourish.

Valet quickly took my keys and bags were promptly sent up to my room. The linens were crisp and room fresh. However, the large round table in middle of the room was out of place as was the oddly mounted television in the bathroom.

Toiletry was by Shanghai Tang and the room was very clean. Room service was prompt and service in the restaurant quite good.

Aforementioned, the manager on duty was quite new and was not well informed of the benefits and amenities of my room package. This was minor hiccup and I will definitely return on my next Atlanta business trip. MO Atlanta has very easy access to highway 85 and 285, and business amenities including internet was prompt and easy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank panam747
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Thank you for choosing Mandarin Oriental Atlanta on your recent business trip. I enjoyed reading your review, thank you for sharing your feedback. We hope that whether it is business or leisure, we will have the pleasure of having you at Mandarin Oriental Atlanta. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Great hotel. The front desk staff was really nice. The bed was fantastic and the room was wonderful, best sleep in a hotel that I can remember.
One huge complaint, I came down for breakfast at 805 asked for a table for 3, I did not get seated till 820, by 830 I still had not seen a waiter, The hostess, did tell me twice that your server will be with you in a minute. No service. I left after waiting for a total of 30 minutes no food/coffee or water. My travel companions stayed. For me, as a business traveler, breakfast, is important, but I cannot wait 30 minutes for a bowl of cereal, I do not have the time.
Silly but that was huge for me.
Otherwise, fantastic.

6  Thank charles G
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

I truly appreciate your comments; thank you for providing details of your experience. It was to much disapointment to read of your circumstances at breakfast. As always, the team and I are thankful for your thoughts and are working hard to assure this will not occur again. We sincerely apoligize for falling short on our commitment to completely delight and satisfy you as well as any inconvenience you experienced. We hope to have the opportunity to warmly welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta soon.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

it is hard to review this fabulous hotel because from the doorman up it is 6 star all the way. We had just come from staying in down town Atlanta and what a breath of fresh air this hotel was. The room we were given was spacious and well appointed, great sized bathroom and very comfy beds as well as great amenities.

Nothing was a problem they were all so friendly could not do enough for us. The manager of the Bar Lauren made the best peach martini's I have ever had and what a great person. We loved being at the bar and chatting to her as she handled her very busy position with aplomb!

I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for 5 star hotel that really delivers the goods. Another great asset it is across the road from Lennox Mall and another one just up the road. Bruce our driver was there to transport usto dinner and a quick phone call saw him pick up again friendly, professional and happy to look after us and always like the rest of the staff and management always with a smile on their face. It made our last days in Atlanta the reason that we would definitely go back to this hotel and Atlanta without question.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room or a room on a high floor this goes for all hotels .
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank SharynHobartTasmania
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

You can't imagine how delighted I am to read your review. Thank you kindly for your compliments and especially for acknowledging some of our great staff members. It is delightful to hear their hard work appreciated. Many thanks for the time you took to write the review and the thoughtfulness behind your words. We are excited to have you back at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta soon!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

When i decided to come back to Atlanta for business i didn't question too long myself about where to stay. I booked myself again at the Mandarin Oriental (my second stay in December) and once again it was the great move to do. I love the room, the service and the location.

3  Thank thibaut a
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

This is fantastic news to read, thank you for making Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta your home away from home! Whether it's business or leisure, we hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

As a former meeting planner, I've stayed at high-end, luxury brand hotels for years, and the Mandarin Oriental Atlanta is now at the top of my list. Space, privacy, luxury and top-notch service make for a wonderful stay. The Mandarin Oriental makes every other luxury brand pale by comparison.

The staff (from bellman to front lobby to room service) are accommodating and pleasant; the rooms are beautiful (starting at 485 sq,ft); the bathrooms luxurious (great soaking tub and huge shower (with HDTV in the bathrooms as well as a large HDTV in the bedroom); and the food is fabulous.

The meeting space and ballroom are exquisite and tastefully appointed, tailored to your needs and specifications for any meeting configuration and function; Catering has a generous list of options to suit your needs, as well.

The hotel is beautiful, yet understated, with quiet rooms and plenty of space to relax and work in your room, without feeling crowded or cramped.

Whether you stay here for business or leisure, meetings or any kind of function, the staff at this hotel exceeds and anticipates your every need. I'd give it 10 stars if I could!

4  Thank qonc1

We are pleased to be at the top of your list! The details in your description and compliments offered are wonderful. Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts; we always welcome feedback as it helps us continue to strive for excellence. It would be our pleasure to meet your meeting needs in the future and hope to have you join us again soon!

Reviewed 7 December 2013

The Mandarin Oriental Atlanta is a deservedly 5 star hotel located in the Buckhead section of Atlanta close to restaurants and shopping and a short 20-30 min drive from the airport. The hotel driveway and courtyard are shared with a Del Frisco's Steakhouse and can get crowded in the evenings. Subtle elegance is the theme from the lobby and lounge decor to the exceptionally trained staff who are helpful and gracious.

The room was spacious with very well thought out lighting, large windows and space to work and relax. Finishes were all excellent and very well maintained. The bed and linens were comfortable as well. There was an outlet near the bed, but not one on the desk itself to facilitate plugging in a laptop or cell phone. Hallway noise was not discernible from the bed, but could be mildly heard at the desk.

The bath was spacious and well laid out with a soaking tub that had a TV mounted over it as well as a comfortably shower with nice fixtures.

Room service was prompt and while expensive the prices were in range with room service at most quality hotels. Staff person delivering the food polite and prompt as well.

If you are visiting Atlanta and looking for elegant accommodations, the Mandarin Oriental will clearly fit the bill.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have a nice few of the city
3  Thank joylama

Thank you very much for your warm compliments. Your feedback is very much appreciated and helps us to continue maintaining our efforts to offer you an exceptional stay.We strive to provide our guests with an elegant and luxurious experience and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta. We hope to have the pleasure of having you back soon!