“Average for this class of hotel.”

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #1 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
College Station, Texas
“Average for this class of hotel.”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have given the MO Atlanta a very good rather than excellent review because compared to others in this class it was not exceptional. As expected the hotel was spotlessly clean and well kept. Rooms were large, bathrooms nice, amenities first class. Public areas, although small and architecturally uninspiring, are pleasant enough. The hotel car and driver are available and a nice, but again, expected perk. All these things are expected at this price level. Where the hotel was lacking was in some of the little things. For example: despite having our flight # and arrival time, when our cab pulled in, there was no doorman or valet to greet us. We wheeled our own luggage into check in and after check in wheeled it up to our room. No one to show us to our room and familiarize us with its amenities. Not a big deal for us but something you expect at this level. I also thought the bar area was unimpressive and not well staffed. Employees were acceptably friendly although only one (the bar or restaurant manager?) made any effort to really learn our names. To me alot of this may be due to the mainly business nature of this location. More antiseptic, efficient and serious.

So, in conclusion, this is a very nice hotel, but when compared to others in its class (Peninsula, Four Seasons, other MO's) I think it comes up a little short. All problems are totally addressable by management, and knowing the MO brand, they probably will be!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Texian
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderfully insightful review. We are committed to continually getting better so that we may be the best at providing our guest with the ultimate luxurious stay. Your thoughts are valuable in helping us identify opportunites for growth. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay and want to assure you your comments have been taken seriously and our team is taking action. We look forward to having the opportunity soon to truly show you what Mandarin Oriental Atlanta has to offer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This hotel is definitely in the top three I've ever stayed in. Absolutely impeccable service in every aspect. Gorgeous hotel, luxurious relaxation spa and pool area, beautifully decorated rooms with very comfortable beds and spacious spa like bathrooms.

Green Features: Very environmentally conscientious hotel (recycled paper, towels etc)
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
I truly enjoyed reading your delightful review! Many thanks for choosing Mandarin Oriental Atlanta for your stay and also for taking the time to express your enthusiasm regarding your visit. Our team is commited to striving to exceed your expectations and we are happy to hear our efforts have been well received. If business or leisure brings you to Atlanta, we look forward to warmly welcoming you back!
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I had the pleasure of a two night stay this past weekend to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. I mentioned the occasion when I made the reservation and the front desk clerk wished my daughter a happy birthday when we checked in. Concierges Janice Dempsey made us a dinner reservation and when we returned to our room we were greeted with a personalized mini-chocolate cake and a note from the General Manager. Later during our stay, front desk manager Aziz Yasin made sure to take good care of us as well. From the valet to the housekeeping staff and even management, we were given the VIP treatment and celebrated my daughter's special birthday in style!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cashceecee81
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
We are delighted to hear she enjoyed her birthday! Many thanks for your warm compliments and especially for recognizing members of our team for their hard work. We are honored you chose to celebrate here with us at Mandarin Oriental Atlanta and hope to be able to share in your next special occassion.
memphis, tn
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have travelled to Atlanta many times and I have always stayed at the St. Regis.I thought I would try The Mandarin for a change after reading the high marks. Having now stayed at both, I feel it is an apples to apples comparison. They are both really top notch high-end hotels. It just depends on the style you are looking for.
The Mandarin is sleek. The design is clean lines, black and white décor with a slight Asian flair and modern art . It would fit beautifully in NYC, Tokyo or Beijing. The room was spacious. The toiletries were generous and high end. The restaurant had a lovely breakfast.
The St. Regis is oozing Southern charm. You will envision Scarlett O'Hara walking down the grand staircase in the lobby. The décor is luxe and very feminine with lots of extra touches on every pillow and drape. The toiletries are also high end and the restaurant is very good.
While I prefer the décor of the St. Regis if you are new to the American South, I will say that the Mandarin has a slight edge due to its walking distance to the great shopping and restaurants. I have also had some customer service issues at St. Regis which drop it down a few points.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank popartpooch
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for your gracious compliments. We are driven by our mission to completely delight and satisft our guests. It is a commitment we strive for daily and your kind words are our fuel. With much graditute we hope to be able to provide you a luxurious experience here at Mandarin Oriental Atlanta soon!
washington
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I was glad to have stayed at this newer MO in Atlanta. I felt very secure in the room and the staff were friendly and helpful. However, it lacks the polish and elegance of the other MO properties. Furthermore, this hotel also appears much smaller; it does not have wow factor upon entrance. But give it time and this property will flourish.

Valet quickly took my keys and bags were promptly sent up to my room. The linens were crisp and room fresh. However, the large round table in middle of the room was out of place as was the oddly mounted television in the bathroom.

Toiletry was by Shanghai Tang and the room was very clean. Room service was prompt and service in the restaurant quite good.

Aforementioned, the manager on duty was quite new and was not well informed of the benefits and amenities of my room package. This was minor hiccup and I will definitely return on my next Atlanta business trip. MO Atlanta has very easy access to highway 85 and 285, and business amenities including internet was prompt and easy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank panam747
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you for choosing Mandarin Oriental Atlanta on your recent business trip. I enjoyed reading your review, thank you for sharing your feedback. We hope that whether it is business or leisure, we will have the pleasure of having you at Mandarin Oriental Atlanta. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Great hotel. The front desk staff was really nice. The bed was fantastic and the room was wonderful, best sleep in a hotel that I can remember.
One huge complaint, I came down for breakfast at 805 asked for a table for 3, I did not get seated till 820, by 830 I still had not seen a waiter, The hostess, did tell me twice that your server will be with you in a minute. No service. I left after waiting for a total of 30 minutes no food/coffee or water. My travel companions stayed. For me, as a business traveler, breakfast, is important, but I cannot wait 30 minutes for a bowl of cereal, I do not have the time.
Silly but that was huge for me.
Otherwise, fantastic.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank charles G
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
I truly appreciate your comments; thank you for providing details of your experience. It was to much disapointment to read of your circumstances at breakfast. As always, the team and I are thankful for your thoughts and are working hard to assure this will not occur again. We sincerely apoligize for falling short on our commitment to completely delight and satisfy you as well as any inconvenience you experienced. We hope to have the opportunity to warmly welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta soon.
Hobart Tasmania
Reviewed 11 December 2013

it is hard to review this fabulous hotel because from the doorman up it is 6 star all the way. We had just come from staying in down town Atlanta and what a breath of fresh air this hotel was. The room we were given was spacious and well appointed, great sized bathroom and very comfy beds as well as great amenities.

Nothing was a problem they were all so friendly could not do enough for us. The manager of the Bar Lauren made the best peach martini's I have ever had and what a great person. We loved being at the bar and chatting to her as she handled her very busy position with aplomb!

I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for 5 star hotel that really delivers the goods. Another great asset it is across the road from Lennox Mall and another one just up the road. Bruce our driver was there to transport usto dinner and a quick phone call saw him pick up again friendly, professional and happy to look after us and always like the rest of the staff and management always with a smile on their face. It made our last days in Atlanta the reason that we would definitely go back to this hotel and Atlanta without question.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room or a room on a high floor this goes for all hotels .