“Excellent Hotel for Family”

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #1 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Greenville, SC
“Excellent Hotel for Family”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Typically, when I travel to Atlanta for business, I stay in the perimeter area, but I prefer Buckhead when traveling for pleasure. I've always stayed at the Ritz Carlton, but this time, we decided to take the kids. I wasn't happy with the options the Ritz offered, and I discovered the "Perfect Pair" offer at the Mandarin in which they pair a King room with an adjacent room with two queens for the kids. The end result was a 1,000+ sf room combo for an excellent price that would have only gotten me a regular club level room at the Ritz. That was enough to motivate me to try to the hotel, and I am so glad I did. Though the value is what brought me there, the luxury and service is what will bring me back.

We arrived early on a Friday afternoon, and our first impression was great. When we walked in the lobby, my young son noted, "it smells really nice." (he was right). The staff couldn't have been better - there is always a concern at a nice luxury hotel with young kids, but the valets, bellmen and desk staff were wonderful. Although early, both our rooms were already ready, so we went straight up. Warm cookies were waiting in our room, further solidifying in our children's opinions that this was a superior hotel.

The rooms were great - very large and clearly updated in the last year or two. The furnishings were great, and the televisions were the largest I've seen in a standard room. The bathrooms were quite large and very well equipped with soaking tubs, great showers and televisions. The king room's bath had a large picture window, which was a nice touch.

Although we didn't experience all the amenities, we did enjoy the pool and spa area. The pool is fantastic (even in the dead of winter), and I'm sure it's even better in the summer when they can open the large french doors. Since it was about 25 degrees, I didn't venture outside, but the garden area looked lovely. We had dinner at The Cafe, and it was a very nice meal. Our young kids loved it, and the menu was equally appealing to them and us. The servers were wonderful. There were several other families in there (it was early), so they are obviously used to handling young guests, which was nice. Great cocktail menu, also! We also did room service for breakfast, which was prompt and delicious.

The location is about as good as you can get. Centrally located in Buckhead, you can walk to Lenox or Phipps for shopping (we walked with both kids), and the MARTA station is about 200 yards away. and from there it's a straight shot downtown. One thing we didn't take advantage of since we had the kids was the house car service - they will drive you anywhere within 2 miles of the hotel. Given the location, I think that's a fantastic service, and one that I will definitely take advantage of on future visits.

As I said, the service from ALL employees was fantastic .One thing I really appreciated was that they made my kids feel welcome. So often, the staff at luxury hotels can be a little stodgy with young ones, but these folks were great. Everyone was attentive and polite.

This was my first visit to the hotel, but we'll definitely be back. If you need to be in the Buckhead area, I don't think you can beat the Mandarin Oriental.

Room Tip: The Perfect Pair is the ideal room situation for a family.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SCTravelGuy
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
I am delighed to read of your recent experience here at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta. As your satisfaction is our mission, we are committed to creating lasting impressions. From our menu to our pool, I am especially happy to read of your families enjoyment. I kindly thank you for your thoughtful recognition of our service team and for your time in writing this wonderful review. We truly value your insight and highly look forward to providing you and your family with another memorable stay soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Professional staff, excellent accomadation. Truly what a Mandarin should be. Arrivals area in front has become a little busy since Del Frisco's opened but the valet's are excellent. Try to get a room facing peachtree and not the highway. Clean, professional and truly a Mandarin.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank travelerlux2013
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Many thanks for your delightful review! We sincerely appreciate your kind words and especially for the acknowledgement of our staff and their hard work. We look forward to warmly welcoming you back soon!
Georgia
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

My reservation was for 2 nights at the Mandarin. I arrived close to 5 and was told my suite was not ready yet, check in is at 5. We waited for the suite to be checked. Once finally into the room, we found that the view from the bedroom terrace overlooked a fabulous mud hole. The heat in the bedroom never worked. We had informed guest services. The response was that someone would be right up to look at it, no one ever showed up. Accused of smoking in the room and they wanted to charge us $500. We had them send someone else up to check the room about the concerns of smoking. The gentleman they sent agreed we had not smoked in the room. Needless to say, we checked out after one night. I'll continue to give the W, Loew's, or the Artmore my money from here on out.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank harnesshackey
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write a review on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to our Hotel. It is with much regret that I note your disappointment with your experience and I wish to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We apprieciate your feedback as it is beneficial in our quest to delight and satisfy our guest by continually striving to be better. Please rest assured that your comments have been noted and taken very seriously. We hope to soon have the opportunity to prove to you that Mandarin Oriental Atlanta is indeed a premium desination in Atlanta.
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stayed here in April 2013 and would be more than happy to stay here again. Excellent location for lots of food within walking distance if you're like me and need to stay on budget/per diem. As with all Mandarin Oriental hotels, the rooms are big and quality of them is excellent. Will be staying here again soon!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Many thanks for your lovely review. As always, we truly appreciate the time taken to write your thoughts on TripAdvisor. Our location is in the heart of Buckhead and puts you within walking distance to some of Atlanta's most delicious restaurants. The Cafe, which is located near our lobby, also serves up a tasty menu. Whether its for business or pleasure, we hope to have you back at Mandarin Oriental Atlanta soon!
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have given the MO Atlanta a very good rather than excellent review because compared to others in this class it was not exceptional. As expected the hotel was spotlessly clean and well kept. Rooms were large, bathrooms nice, amenities first class. Public areas, although small and architecturally uninspiring, are pleasant enough. The hotel car and driver are available and a nice, but again, expected perk. All these things are expected at this price level. Where the hotel was lacking was in some of the little things. For example: despite having our flight # and arrival time, when our cab pulled in, there was no doorman or valet to greet us. We wheeled our own luggage into check in and after check in wheeled it up to our room. No one to show us to our room and familiarize us with its amenities. Not a big deal for us but something you expect at this level. I also thought the bar area was unimpressive and not well staffed. Employees were acceptably friendly although only one (the bar or restaurant manager?) made any effort to really learn our names. To me alot of this may be due to the mainly business nature of this location. More antiseptic, efficient and serious.

So, in conclusion, this is a very nice hotel, but when compared to others in its class (Peninsula, Four Seasons, other MO's) I think it comes up a little short. All problems are totally addressable by management, and knowing the MO brand, they probably will be!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Texian
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderfully insightful review. We are committed to continually getting better so that we may be the best at providing our guest with the ultimate luxurious stay. Your thoughts are valuable in helping us identify opportunites for growth. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay and want to assure you your comments have been taken seriously and our team is taking action. We look forward to having the opportunity soon to truly show you what Mandarin Oriental Atlanta has to offer.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This hotel is definitely in the top three I've ever stayed in. Absolutely impeccable service in every aspect. Gorgeous hotel, luxurious relaxation spa and pool area, beautifully decorated rooms with very comfortable beds and spacious spa like bathrooms.

Green Features: Very environmentally conscientious hotel (recycled paper, towels etc)
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
I truly enjoyed reading your delightful review! Many thanks for choosing Mandarin Oriental Atlanta for your stay and also for taking the time to express your enthusiasm regarding your visit. Our team is commited to striving to exceed your expectations and we are happy to hear our efforts have been well received. If business or leisure brings you to Atlanta, we look forward to warmly welcoming you back!
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I had the pleasure of a two night stay this past weekend to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. I mentioned the occasion when I made the reservation and the front desk clerk wished my daughter a happy birthday when we checked in. Concierges Janice Dempsey made us a dinner reservation and when we returned to our room we were greeted with a personalized mini-chocolate cake and a note from the General Manager. Later during our stay, front desk manager Aziz Yasin made sure to take good care of us as well. From the valet to the housekeeping staff and even management, we were given the VIP treatment and celebrated my daughter's special birthday in style!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cashceecee81
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
We are delighted to hear she enjoyed her birthday! Many thanks for your warm compliments and especially for recognizing members of our team for their hard work. We are honored you chose to celebrate here with us at Mandarin Oriental Atlanta and hope to be able to share in your next special occassion.