“Beautiful property for our anniversary night”

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #1 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Smyrna, Georgia
“Beautiful property for our anniversary night”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We have a tradition of celebrating our wedding anniversary by getting overnight child-care and checking into a nice hotel for a "vacation" in town. This year we decided to check out the Mandarin Oriental (plus dinner at Southern Art and an Eric Clapton concert - will review those elsewhere). I will say that the lobby is quite odd, small, broken up. But the service is excellent and the room was great.

This is definitely a luxury hotel. The room was big, comfy, luxurious. The staff greeted us at the car, took our luggage, escorted us to check in and brought our things to the room for us. We had a great time although I cannot speak to the room service/bar/food since we did not take advantage of those. We did check out the bar and it is small and not really inviting so we didn't have a drink there.

The location is great and we walked to the restaurant and walked to Whiskey Blue (literally across the street) for a nightcap.

So I have mixed feelings about this hotel. The staff is very good and they brought a little treat to the room to mark our anniversary (even a hand-written note from the general manager). the room was great and the location is great. The only thing that throws me is the lobby and the bar. I like to be able to hang out, people-watch, maybe have a view of an interesting part of the city. You will not really be able to do that here. But if that's not important to you, this may be the perfect hotel for you to indulge yourself to some pampering.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Todd C
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you very much for submitting a review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted you chose Mandarin Oriental Atlanta to celebrate such a special occasion. A great thank you for your kind compliments regarding our staff and their level of service. We strive to be a leader in exceptional service by working together as a team to delight our guests; we are happy to hear our efforts were well received. We look forward to providing you with another great experience on your next visit to Atlanta!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Great hotel and the staff is the best! Clean, comfortable rooms and the spa is wonderful! The only complaint is that the pool had too many chemicals. Our eyes were burning and my niece developed a rash from it. There is construction around the hotel and the staff offered a sound machine which was perfect! I'm a late sleeper!

• Stayed March 2014
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for have taken the time to write a review for Tripadvisor. Our team works diligently to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere and will much appreciate your kind words. Thank you for writing on your feelings of the pool. It is with much disappointment to read of your niece’s experience. Our team has been notified and the appropriate actions shall follow. Your feedback is invaluable information for us and ultimately future guest stays. Again, many thanks for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Atlanta soon!
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Enjoyed my stay at the Mandarin Oriental very much. Rooms were very well appointed. In room technology was top notch. Food and Beverage was enjoyable and efficient. Location in Buckhead is perfect. No problems.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Many thanks for your wonderful review! I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time on our property and were able to enjoy the exciting surroundings. Our location is in the epicenter of Buckhead where great food and shopping are just a few steps away. Whether it be business or leisure, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Scottsdale
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a 3 day weekend trip. We Chose the Mandarin Oriental based on reviews and location. Here is our breakdown:

1) Service - top notch and worthy of any Mandarin Oriental in the world, greeted professionally and everyone offered assistance. Front desk personnel, bellmen, housekeeping, room service personnel, and spa attendants were the stars. Only area that was lacking was the restaurant. We arrived with friends for a late lunch and decided for convenience to eat at the hotel. The hostess seated us immediately. Unfortunately the server took 15 minutes to get our drinks and 45 minutes to deliver our salads and sandwiches. Never apologized but we were not in a mood to complain that much. This was the only glitch we saw in the hotel. Enough so that we never returned to the restaurant. Pity because the menu selection looked adequate and interesting

2) Room - Near Perfect. We stayed in a suite and were very happy. The room was pristine, well-appointed with an extremely comfortable bed. Great new large TVs! But they were not hooked up to PPV. So despite the fact that my wife and I thought we would settle in with a new Hollywood hit, we were disappointed to find out that we had to pick from a weak selection of DVDs and have a played brought up to our room. Certainly not worth the trouble. Toiletries were perfect and high quality. Great bath tub with views. Plenty of space! We did read about the construction in the area and were witness to construction sounds in the AM. It was only slightly annoying but noticeable. However, that is NOT the fault of the hotel. The hotel sits in the middle of the hottest construction area in Georgia. Construction happens. My wife and I have seen it in many city hotels around the world and accept that is part of life. So if you are a very light sleeper, do not stay in Buckhead

3) Location - Perfect! In he middle of Buckhead, what else can I say? Also, the hotel offers a complimentary driver service that stays within a two mile radius from the hotel.

4) Spa - Great, but not world class. Not at the level of the Miami Mandarin, but definitely a great experience. Very clean, modern, friendly staff, excellent services, and well-appointed. Just lacks a little of the magic and pizzazz of a top world class spa.

5) Food - Restaurant I mentioned above so I would take other options in Buckhead. However, the room service was fantastic! Breakfast a must! The french toast in particular!

Overall we would definitely go back given everything the hotel offers

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tehiukko
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for have taken the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. Your details are graciously welcomed as it allows us to take ownership of our downfalls while we continue our quest to get better in order to be the best. Many thanks for your acknowledgement of our service team. Their hard work often goes unnoticed. I especially was delighted to read that our efforts to provide "top notch" service were well received. We hope to warmly welcome you back soon!
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Beautiful, efficiently run hotel with a lovely pool. Although, a little out of the way for a weekend visit to site see in Atlanta. The only criticism I have is that they charge for Wi-Fi, which I find ridiculous given our room rate was $619/nt for our family. If it's free at Corner Bakery, it can be free at a high end hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelorwannaB
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on Tripadvisor. We especially thank you for the kind compliments of on our property and staff. We look forward to having you back soon!
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there to celebrate our 6yr Anniversary. We loved all the reviews! We booked only one night. When we arrived it was awesome! We walked in and greeted so nicely. I believe my wife gave them a heads up on our Anniversary!

Anyway we checked into our room, and it was Beautiful! One problem was they are doing construction around the hotel, my wife was upset but not for long. They got us another room within 10min on the other side! Awesome service I must say!

We also had a couples massage scheduled shortly after check in (I Never had one before) it was amazing! The staff was so nice and made me feel like I had been there 100 times. If I had any questions, they would answer right away. After the amazing massage. We headed back to our rooms and found that the staff had wished us a Happy Anniversary, and supplied us with a bottle of champagne and a tray full of Chocolate covered Strawberries!

I was so relaxed we stayed in that night and ordered room service. We both had a great meal! Then we ordered a little dessert. Lol. Also awesome!

Next morning we had breakfast serviced to our room. It was so good! We got ready and headed downstairs to check out. As we are waiting for our very large bill, I couldn't help but think everything was so perfect! We had the best stay.

Until Valet had a huge hiccup! (Dont want to go into detail) Manager Whitney Majors did an excellent job and made things right with us, and we are planning on visiting in May for my Wife's Birthday!

I will update again on our next stay!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HeathH08
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
We are honored to have had you celebrate your anniversary with us! I am especially happy to read of your wonderful treatment and dining experiences. However, as you might imagine, I am disappointed to read about your experience with the construction noise. Although the hotel is not affiliated with these projects and we try our best to ensure the construction process does not interfere with your stay. I do apologize for any inconvenience caused and truly value your insight and look forward to providing you with another memorable stay soon.
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel offers the best of everything, service, location, rooms and above all, genuine people who take care of their guests, whether a returning guest like me, or a new guest. I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Atlanta, your expectations will be exceeded.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words, it really means a lot to us when our guests write enthusiastically following their experience. In addition to luxurious accommodations we truly strive to be guest-centered and provide passionate and personal service. Many thanks for allowing us the opportunity to continue to serve you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Atlanta soon!