“The details made the difference!”

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #2 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I recently celebrated my child's birthday here. We'd planned for a small affair in the English Garden, but when raindrops began falling, the party had to be relocated to the back up room. Although I was disappointed we wouldn't be partying in the garden, the staff at the Mandarin went above and beyond to make sure the room where our party was held, was set up to accommodate our guests. It turns out, this was indeed the better option, for our tiniest guests to crawl around and play with their toys. My husband and I also stayed at the hotel for two nights during our visit. When I walked in the room, I was impressed. Normally we stay at Ritz Carlton Hotels, and they are fine properties, but the attention to detail at the Mandarin made the difference for me... i.e. fresh flowers in the room, a well appointed TV in the bathroom and more than one bottle of shower gel and body lotion. I'm also a critic of luxury properties that don't offer quality linens, and bath tissue. The Mandarin didn't disappoint. The bath towels were huge! The shower was quite spacious. I'm sure I wasted gallons of water, because I didn't want to get out of there. If ever I'm in need of a hotel in Atlanta, the Mandarin will be at the top of my list. I had a facial and massage in the spa as well. They were enjoyable, but the room amenities were most appealing.

Room Tip: Don't worry if you can't afford a suite, the regular rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

You can't imagine how delighted I am to read your review. Thank you kindly for your compliments and especially for acknowledging the efforts of our team. It is delightful to hear their hard work appreciated. Many thanks for the time you took to write the review and the thoughtfulness behind your words. We are excited to have you back at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta soon!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

A treat for our final night on our three week road trip - could have easily spent the three weeks here !!

Booked the drive in package, valet parking, breakfast and late check-out - perfect combination and a very good price (when compared to European Mandarin Orientals, especially London).

Check-in was friendly and efficient but if being picky, there should have been more than one member of staff on duty as we did wait a short while. Everything we needed to know was explained and we did genuinely believe that what ever we wanted during our stay would be accommodated.

Our room on the 6th floor was on a splayed corner so was a little larger than some, the footprint of the hotel is small, a very slender tall skyscraper. It was beautifully furnished and looked in top shape. There was every amenity (except a coffee machine). The bathroom was very luxurious and the Shanghi Tang toiletries are beautiful to use. We were dismayed however, to be facing the construction site next door to the hotel, mentioned in some TA reviews. We asked the valet who brought our luggage up about this potential problem, we could hear the drills, shouting etc. He said that because it was Memorial Day weekend, they should be finishing early that day and not be working until the following Tuesday. This was indeed so, and it did not bother us again over our short stay.

We did think that this room and even this side of the hotel would not be good to stay in once construction had reached the same floor level, then above and eventually completed as construction noise would be intrusive during the day and the new 'next door' appears to be very close to the hotel.

Location in Buckhead is brilliant - two very well specified malls within easy walking distance of the hotel is a definate bonus! We used the complimentary car service (what a good idea) to go to a local restaurant. It worked seamlessly and John and his stretch 7 series BMW were just perfect.

Breakfast was lovely - quality produce and not silly massive portions either. Service was polished and refined. It is a small dining area (infact, there is not much public space in the hotel) but very comfortable. The late check out was really welcomed too as we had an evening flight home that was subsequently delayed a while.

Room Tip: Try and get the side away from current construction work and corner rooms on the splay look a little...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whinbrook

Thank you for your gracious compliments. We are driven by our mission to completely delight and satisft our guests. It is a commitment we strive for daily and your kind words are our fuel. With much graditute we hope to be able to provide you a luxurious experience here at Mandarin Oriental Atlanta soon!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Whenever we visit Atlanta, this is one of our go to hotels. The rooms are nicely appointed and the service can not be beat. Everyone makes you feel so welcome. In addition, its location in Buckhead is perfect. It's close to everything including restaurants, shopping and is in a very nice part of Atlanta. A 5 star experience for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

I am very pleased to hear that the service of our team here at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta was noted. The attention you have shown them with your lovely comments is truly appreciated and your insight helps us to continue to provide exceptional service.

Thank you kindly for the time you've given to share your valued thoughts and we look forwarding to having you here again soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I was traveling and arrived on a delayed flight around 1am. The staff was super friendly even at that late hour. The rooms are very nice and rather fancy. As an example it took a while to find the TV as it is behind a picture on the wall (you use a remote to move the picture). Also, the bathtub has it's own TV. Very nice touches. The grounds are great. It is in a nice spot. Very well done.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for have taken the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. We take great pride in offering great service, especialy at 1am when our guest may need it the most after a long day of travel. Many thanks for sharing your thoughts and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We just returned from a Memorial Day extended weekend trip to Atlanta (Buckhead, to be exact) and are SO pleased that we once again chose the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group to be our home base. We have been fortunate enough to have stayed at MOs in other countries, but this is our first in the US. While this is one of the tallest buildings in the Atlanta neighborhood of Buckhead, it certainly didn't feel like it. The luxury is under-stated (in an exceptional way), but the service was as expected from the Mandarin Oriental. We appreciate service mostly, but in-no-way needed to compromise on surroundings. The marble, floral arrangements, plush carpeting, and intimate feel of the public areas were outstanding. The English garden was a perfect spot to check emails, lounge, and achieve some much needed relaxation. We booked a Deluxe King room. Possibly one of the best layouts of any non-suite room we've stated. Roomy, comfortable, open, and contemporary luxury feel. The guest bathroom was very beautiful. From dimming lights to the best pillows we've ever experienced, the MO Atlanta lived up to it's name. The MO Spa was amazing. Excellent, luxurious, and thoughtful appointments in the relaxation room, changing and shower areas, and sauna/whirlpool/steamroom were amazing. The indoor pool was beautiful, understated, and beautifully equipped with comfortable furniture and a lovely outdoor balcony overlooking the courtyard. The service, however; is what sold us on the MO Atlanta. I could probably write a short story on the details that were never forgotten by the entire staff of the MO. Check-in was fantastic, with cool, scented, moist cotton towels, bottled water, and an amazing front-desk staff. Each time we entered/exited the lobby, the doorman would acknowledge us by name. The housekeeping staff paid special attention to not only freshening, but "restoring" our room to check-in status. The location within Buckhead was optimal, however, when needing travel within a short radius (uncomfortable to walk in the late-spring heat), the house car, and its driver John, where courteous, friendly, and very prompt. We made several special requests from room-service to housekeeping. Honestly, we never waited more than 5 minutes for the kind response. We have been blessed to stay in some of the best hotels across the globe, and we never take for granted the service we receive. This is why we can now HIGHLY recommend the Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta...and home to return very soon.

Room Tip: Cannot imagine a bad room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Your review of our hotel is wonderful! Many thanks for the delightful comments and especially for taking the time to acknowledge our efforts to maintain exceptional levels of service. We look forward to having you back at the Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

What a treat to experience a stay here. I was on business but able to enjoy a warm welcome, beautiful room with large bathroom and all the 5 star comforts. The spa and fitness center has everything with a lap pool and terraces to relax and unwind (next visit I will make some more time to enjoy). The house car dropped me off in true style to meet with a client. I am fortunate to get to Atlanta and look forward to come back!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Diane P

Your kindness and warm words of compliment for our hotel are graciously received. We value your comments and are always grateful when our guest take the time to write reviews, especially ones as delightful as these! We look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Mandarin Oriental in Atlanta over Memorial Day weekend. This hotel is located in the high-end Buckhead area of Atlanta and my stay lived up to the luxury expectation.

The service we received was everything you would expect from a hotel like this. From our check in to departure, we were greeted, by name, at almost every turn. We used the valet parking option for our stay and called down to the front desk in advance to have our car brought around whenever we were headed out. We only had to wait once or twice the entire stay, and usually the car was waiting for us when we made it outside. The valet team and bellmen were all very polite and prompt, as one would hope! The $30+ per day valet fees were steep, but not unexpected from a hotel of this caliber. The concierge was also quite helpful in resolving an issue I had with event tickets during my stay.

While I didn't use the spa, I did utilize the pool during our stay. The 60' lap pool is climate controlled and has a lane separator for those wishing to exercise vice those who just want to splash, which I appreciated. Each lounge chair (there are around a dozen) are stocked with two extra large pool towels. The pool area also has bottled water and a fruit bowl for your enjoyment. My only comment here was that there was a water bottle wrapper floating in the pool when I arrived at 8AM for a morning swim, but I'm not sure how often the pool is monitored. The pool was perfectly clean the other times I visited during the stay.

The housekeeping staff is wonderful. Our room was always expertly tidied and restocked, and I'm a sucker for quality turn-down service! The towels were stiff for a luxury brand. It was clear they were high quality towels that simply had not been laundered properly (picky, picky, I know!) However, the towels were an afterthought after slipping into the provided robes and slippers which were both super comfortable.

We ordered room service for breakfast once and it was perfectly palatable for your standard "American" Breakfast. Scrambled eggs arrived hot and buttery, if not shaped like an overturned bowl (?), among the other accompaniments. I had a few special requests for the delivery and everything arrived per my instructions (yay!).

Something I found typical, but still annoying, was that they charge an obscene amount for internet use. There's simply no reason for a high end hotel such as this to gouge guests already spending $450++ a night for internet. I ended up just using my phone hot spot for the few times I needed to connect my laptop, but it just feels like an extraneous and unnecessary charge.

Overall, a very lovely experience and I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a luxury experience in Atlanta.

Room Tip: There's construction across the street from the hotel, so ask for a room away from that if you w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

I really enjoyed reading of your stay and cannot thank you enough for sharing such a pleasant review. We are always graciously happy to hear of our guest's great experiences. For your next visit kindly create a profile on our website and you will be eligible for complimentary Wi-Fi. We hope that we will have the pleasure to have you back soon!