“Large room and bathroom. Poor air conditioning”

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #1 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, Alabama
“Large room and bathroom. Poor air conditioning”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Very large and comfortable room and bathroom. Great deep tub and large shower. However there was a smell of mildew in the shower. The shampoo was not replenished daily. Most comfortable bed in any hotel. However the duvet was not in a cover. Instead it was between two straight sheets. Move around in the bed and you come into contact with the duvet. The AC ran constantly and blew directly on the bed.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JMG44
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Many thanks for your review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate and value your feedback. We are delighted to hear we were able to provide a comfortable home away from home. Although, to my disappointment, regret that your visit didn't 100% meet our standards. Please note that your comments have been taken seriously and we are taking the necessary actions. Again, thank you for sharing and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Turkish first
Montana
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I can't imagine a better place to stay! I stay at a 5 star hotel once per year, and this hotel was above and beyond any others - the staff, rooms, food, location, and amenities. The staff was top notch! Every staff member went out of their way to make sure I was welcomed (they all knew my name and were exceedingly professional), my every need was met, and felt like I was there most important customer. I can't thank the front-desk staff and the concierge, Janice, enough for their exceptional service - accommodating my request for a late check-out, helping me with directions/maps, finding vegetarian dining options in the surrounding area, making reservations, arranging the town car, and truly being interested in engaging me in conversation about how my day out on the town was. I never felt that I was inconveniencing the staff with my questions and looked forward to talking to them every day. In addition to a chocolate cake welcoming me to my room, the front desk called me in me in my room shortly after my arrival to ensure everything was to my satisfaction. Wow! Town car service was equally impressive.
Loved how this hotel felt like a boutique hotel, but with 5-star amenities. It was exceptionally quiet and private - I rarely saw another person, had the pool and whirlpool to myself each time I used it during my stay, and never heard a noise from the hallway, another room, or outside, during my stay. It truly was an escape! Rooms, in addition to being quiet, were artfully appointed and modern. Loved the huge soaking tub, tv in bathroom, shower, bed, but most of all the blackout curtains. It was actually DARK in my room at night!! Housekeeping left my room sparkling (and the rest of this hotel) and even arranged my toiletries and folded my clothes for me. Had a hard time wanting to leave my room with all its comforts and going home after the accommodations and service!
Food and room service were in-line with the rest of this high-end hotel (which has not been my experience at other properties). Fast and professional service in both the Café and Bar and through room service (8-18 min). Food was artistically done and delicious (try the strawberry gazpacho or beet salad) and provided lots of options/choices.
Spa is highly recommended and for good reason. Staff is friendly, but also discrete and respectful of you wanting peace and quiet (engaging in conversation quietly, making quick entrance and exits into facilities as not to disturb you or make you feel as if they were hovering). Light refreshments, locker room amenities like mouthwash, shaving cream, cold scented towels, and zero gravity chairs for my pedicure, added just the right touches. Also, have to say this is the BEST pool I have experienced at a hotel. When they say heated, they actually mean it!
Location allows you to easily access shopping and the rest of Atlanta via MARTA (including the airport), which makes it a great base.
Can't recommended this hotel enough if you want a luxurious, VIP experience to remember for a lifetime. Thanks Mandarin Oriental Atlanta!

Room Tip: Construction is occurring next door to the north side of the hotel - if you want a view of something...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank travelgirlMontana
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
On behalf of our team here at Mandarin Oriental Atlanta, I send our sincere appreciate of you and the time you share to write this review. Feedback such as this make us proud to strive to offer exceptional service and memorable experiences. Thank you for your comments. Whether it be for leisure or business, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel is fantastic. The staff is very professional and the whole experience is amazing. The hotel has several sitting areas in the lobby. The grand staircase is gorgeous.
Loved my guest room. It was very spacious and nicely appointed. The housekeeping at the Mandarin Oriental is the best I have ever experienced. Flawless!!
I would definitely stay here next time I am in Buckhead.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HavePillow
"Flawless" What a wonderful statement. Many thanks for your generous feedback and we hope to have another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations soon!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I am a frequent traveler/ weekend getaway guy.... I decided to visit my friends from Atlanta. I travel on most weekends to visit friends and family. I have a Diamond Medallion status with Delta Air Line. I usually stay at 4-5 star hotels.
This will be my third stay at this hotel. Before it was called The Mansion , now it is the Mandarin Oriental. I am very impressed with this stay. The service has significantly improved since it was the Mansion. The staffs are courteous, friendly, extremely helpful and pleasant. They go out of their ways to assist you in any way they can. Almost Everyone has a smile .
The Rooms are clean, spacious, and impeccable. The bed was so comfortable and was made perfectly with crisp sharp edges yet soft and inviting . I love the way they leave a little flower (orchid) on the bed daily after they have made the bed. It is a very nice touch and classy. The bathroom is very clean and spacious . The bath products are top notch .
The restaurant is excellent.... I usually don't like egg Benedict but to my amazement I love their crab Benedict .... I like my poach egg hard and the chef made it perfectly . The egg rested on top of a crab cake that was sweet and succulent . They put just the right amount of bearnaise sauce .
I will definitely comeback in one month .

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nathan9551
Thank you for choosing Mandarin Oriental Atlanta for your weekend stay! Our location is the epicenter of excitement as it puts you just steps away from some of Buckhead's greatest eateries and attractions. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back soon!
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We chose this hotel over the Ritz and the St. Regis due to price, as they are all similar in nature, and this time due to a press release we read on the web touting their pet friendly policy. Since my eleven year old daughter and our Pug Rosie were accompanying me, this hotel seemed to have the best pet amenities and the most reasonable pet charges ($100) comparitively. This was the first time we have traveled with our dog and not our first stay at the hotel. The general consensus is excellent but the staff who is eager to please is almost unsure of this. Every request we had was responded with a "let me check with my manager" and then a "sure". We booked thru Amex platinum fine hotels and received an upgrade to a suite which was wonderful. Rooms are hard to compete with. Very large, very spacious, and very spreadout. Luxurious bathrooms to say the least. Garden area is great for pets with a dog park nearby as well. Pet marketing promises a lot that is forgotten though, like pet cocktails and no where to dine with pet, although after special request they did serve us happily but on our suggestion, for lunch and brunch both days on the porch adjoining the restaurant . All were happy. Rosie the pug was especially happy with her food and water bowls and pet bed left for her in the room along with her doggie treats. We were happy with house BMW that drives you anywhere you want to go in Buckhead. Although, it is first come first serve so be prepared to wait. Driver was lovely though. Hotel does feel a bit limited in offerings mainly dining choices. Nice progressive spa. Waterless pedicures a bit strange though not altogether a bad thing. Spa treatment providers couldn't have been nicer. Overall excellent and would definately return - hopefully without the pug - my idea not hers.

Room Tip: Suites are spread out and floor plan is excellent. Bathrooms are luxurious
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your review and the time you've taken to share your thoughts. Your comments are truly appreciated and we have taken great care to received your feedback as this is valuable information to help us continue to be better. We look forward to welcoming you, your daughter and Rosie back soon!
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I did not have the luxury of enjoying much of the luxury available here, but this is an exceptionally well appointed hotel. The rooms are very spacious, especially the bathroom which is quite large by most hotel bathroom standards. Daily turn down service as well, where you are left slippers, a bottle or two of water and a flower. Travelers who were here on pleasure seemed to be very happy. Staff was efficient and attentive. They have a local car (BMW) that they will drive you to local establishments in. Just a few steps away from MARTA Buckhead Station on the Red Line. Very easy access to/from the airport to avoid Atlanta's notorious highways. They have parking, but I did not use it and cannot comment on it. Friends on higher floors were not happy with the elevators. Very slow. I was lower and didn't have any issues. Location is superb.

Room Tip: May want to stay on lower floor, some complaints about long elevator wait times on higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AUH_tr
Many thanks for have taken the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. We are delighted you chose Mandarin Oriental Atlanta for your business stay. Hopefully next time will be for leisure and you will have more time to enjoy our amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Wexford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I recently celebrated my child's birthday here. We'd planned for a small affair in the English Garden, but when raindrops began falling, the party had to be relocated to the back up room. Although I was disappointed we wouldn't be partying in the garden, the staff at the Mandarin went above and beyond to make sure the room where our party was held, was set up to accommodate our guests. It turns out, this was indeed the better option, for our tiniest guests to crawl around and play with their toys. My husband and I also stayed at the hotel for two nights during our visit. When I walked in the room, I was impressed. Normally we stay at Ritz Carlton Hotels, and they are fine properties, but the attention to detail at the Mandarin made the difference for me... i.e. fresh flowers in the room, a well appointed TV in the bathroom and more than one bottle of shower gel and body lotion. I'm also a critic of luxury properties that don't offer quality linens, and bath tissue. The Mandarin didn't disappoint. The bath towels were huge! The shower was quite spacious. I'm sure I wasted gallons of water, because I didn't want to get out of there. If ever I'm in need of a hotel in Atlanta, the Mandarin will be at the top of my list. I had a facial and massage in the spa as well. They were enjoyable, but the room amenities were most appealing.

Room Tip: Don't worry if you can't afford a suite, the regular rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
You can't imagine how delighted I am to read your review. Thank you kindly for your compliments and especially for acknowledging the efforts of our team. It is delightful to hear their hard work appreciated. Many thanks for the time you took to write the review and the thoughtfulness behind your words. We are excited to have you back at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta soon!