“Looking forward to Going Back” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #2 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta
“Looking forward to Going Back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 35th anniversary here and it was a perfect weekend. The hotel went out of the way to accommodate us, giving us an early arrival and late checkout, chocolate and strawberries within 10 minutes of our arrival, and a room upgrade. Staff repeatedly congratulated us.

The hotel is truly a luxury hotel, with lots of the small things that make you feel special when you get there, from a cold hand towel at checkin, to quick in room dining delivery to your room, turn down service at night, with an orchid on your bed and towel and slippers next to your bed.

The hotel is located in the center of Buckhead, diagonally across the street from one of the largest malls in the South(Lenox mall). There are great restaurants of every variety within easy walking distance in just about every direction. The area is very safe.

The rooms are large, very clean and very comfortable - we had one with a large balcony (on the 14th floor), a rarity in Atlanta. Bathrooms are large and well appointed. They had the largest bath towels (and fluffiest) I have ever seen in a hotel.

The rooms were very quiet. Despite being across the hallway from the elevator, we never heard a word from the hallway. We were overlooking busy Peachtree Street, but never even heard the cars.

The place we not inexpensive, but unlike many other "luxury" hotels, the cost was well worth the service we received and I was impressed that unlike many luxury hotels, you did not feel like you were being gouged with multiple ways to charge you. For example, a half bottle of excellent red wine in the room bar was very reasonably priced - significantly less than I would have paid to get it at the hotel bar.

We used a package for locals that included 10-20% discounts on the spa (which was excellent, probably the best we have used in Atlanta), free valet parking, $40 per night in food credit, free Wi-Fi, etc.

This is probably the best hotel we have stayed at in Atlanta over the 35 years we have been here - and we have probably stayed in most of the Atlanta luxury hotels over time.

I would recommend the Buckhead Mandarin Oriental without the slightest hesitation.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony, use the spa and if you are a local, use the local package.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JJS3
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you very much for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed overnight at the Mandarin for a business meeting. Let's start with the front desk clerk, she was very professional. Next the room, okay there are rooms and then there's the Mandarin rooms. OMG the room was gorgeous. I stayed in a single king room. The room is spacious, there is a beautiful desk. Oh don't get me started on the bed. I have stayed in over 100 hotels in the past year and a half and simply no hotel can compete with the comfort of that bed. The room was perfect, the bed was perfect and the hotel staff was perfect. If you stay at this hotel I hope you have a chance to interact with Brian. He is epitome of great service. I can't remember the last time i was so impressed by a hotel employee. I would recommend this hotel for business or pleasure. Just a side note the hotel is in a great location, there are plenty of places to shop and dine nearby.

Room Tip: The single kings are to DIE for……
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Michelle A
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Many many thanks for such a wonderful review. A special thank you for recognizing our colleagues. As a team, we are committed to bringing out the best in one another; your comments help to solidify their hard work and exceptional service are being well received. Again, thank you for the time you've shared to submit a TripAdvisor review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel exceeds my expectations in terms of beauty and interiors! It is a very lovely hotel, elegantly designed that suits my taste!
The staff went beyond my expectations too. It is always welcoming to enter the lobby with front desk agents with warm smiles on their faces.
Atlanta is such a lovely city and staying in a hotel like mandarin makes my stay even worthwhile!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor. The time you've taken to share your thoughts is more than appreciated. Your experiences and feedback are vital to us as we wish to show recognition to our colleagues and departments and also alternatively it helps to spot light any areas we need to focus more attention. Again, thank you for investing the time to provide us with your insight. We hope that we will have many chances in the near future to welcome you back!
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Very large and comfortable room and bathroom. Great deep tub and large shower. However there was a smell of mildew in the shower. The shampoo was not replenished daily. Most comfortable bed in any hotel. However the duvet was not in a cover. Instead it was between two straight sheets. Move around in the bed and you come into contact with the duvet. The AC ran constantly and blew directly on the bed.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JMG44
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Many thanks for your review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate and value your feedback. We are delighted to hear we were able to provide a comfortable home away from home. Although, to my disappointment, regret that your visit didn't 100% meet our standards. Please note that your comments have been taken seriously and we are taking the necessary actions. Again, thank you for sharing and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I can't imagine a better place to stay! I stay at a 5 star hotel once per year, and this hotel was above and beyond any others - the staff, rooms, food, location, and amenities. The staff was top notch! Every staff member went out of their way to make sure I was welcomed (they all knew my name and were exceedingly professional), my every need was met, and felt like I was there most important customer. I can't thank the front-desk staff and the concierge, Janice, enough for their exceptional service - accommodating my request for a late check-out, helping me with directions/maps, finding vegetarian dining options in the surrounding area, making reservations, arranging the town car, and truly being interested in engaging me in conversation about how my day out on the town was. I never felt that I was inconveniencing the staff with my questions and looked forward to talking to them every day. In addition to a chocolate cake welcoming me to my room, the front desk called me in me in my room shortly after my arrival to ensure everything was to my satisfaction. Wow! Town car service was equally impressive.
Loved how this hotel felt like a boutique hotel, but with 5-star amenities. It was exceptionally quiet and private - I rarely saw another person, had the pool and whirlpool to myself each time I used it during my stay, and never heard a noise from the hallway, another room, or outside, during my stay. It truly was an escape! Rooms, in addition to being quiet, were artfully appointed and modern. Loved the huge soaking tub, tv in bathroom, shower, bed, but most of all the blackout curtains. It was actually DARK in my room at night!! Housekeeping left my room sparkling (and the rest of this hotel) and even arranged my toiletries and folded my clothes for me. Had a hard time wanting to leave my room with all its comforts and going home after the accommodations and service!
Food and room service were in-line with the rest of this high-end hotel (which has not been my experience at other properties). Fast and professional service in both the Café and Bar and through room service (8-18 min). Food was artistically done and delicious (try the strawberry gazpacho or beet salad) and provided lots of options/choices.
Spa is highly recommended and for good reason. Staff is friendly, but also discrete and respectful of you wanting peace and quiet (engaging in conversation quietly, making quick entrance and exits into facilities as not to disturb you or make you feel as if they were hovering). Light refreshments, locker room amenities like mouthwash, shaving cream, cold scented towels, and zero gravity chairs for my pedicure, added just the right touches. Also, have to say this is the BEST pool I have experienced at a hotel. When they say heated, they actually mean it!
Location allows you to easily access shopping and the rest of Atlanta via MARTA (including the airport), which makes it a great base.
Can't recommended this hotel enough if you want a luxurious, VIP experience to remember for a lifetime. Thanks Mandarin Oriental Atlanta!

Room Tip: Construction is occurring next door to the north side of the hotel - if you want a view of something...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank travelgirlMontana
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
On behalf of our team here at Mandarin Oriental Atlanta, I send our sincere appreciate of you and the time you share to write this review. Feedback such as this make us proud to strive to offer exceptional service and memorable experiences. Thank you for your comments. Whether it be for leisure or business, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel is fantastic. The staff is very professional and the whole experience is amazing. The hotel has several sitting areas in the lobby. The grand staircase is gorgeous.
Loved my guest room. It was very spacious and nicely appointed. The housekeeping at the Mandarin Oriental is the best I have ever experienced. Flawless!!
I would definitely stay here next time I am in Buckhead.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HavePillow
"Flawless" What a wonderful statement. Many thanks for your generous feedback and we hope to have another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations soon!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I am a frequent traveler/ weekend getaway guy.... I decided to visit my friends from Atlanta. I travel on most weekends to visit friends and family. I have a Diamond Medallion status with Delta Air Line. I usually stay at 4-5 star hotels.
This will be my third stay at this hotel. Before it was called The Mansion , now it is the Mandarin Oriental. I am very impressed with this stay. The service has significantly improved since it was the Mansion. The staffs are courteous, friendly, extremely helpful and pleasant. They go out of their ways to assist you in any way they can. Almost Everyone has a smile .
The Rooms are clean, spacious, and impeccable. The bed was so comfortable and was made perfectly with crisp sharp edges yet soft and inviting . I love the way they leave a little flower (orchid) on the bed daily after they have made the bed. It is a very nice touch and classy. The bathroom is very clean and spacious . The bath products are top notch .
The restaurant is excellent.... I usually don't like egg Benedict but to my amazement I love their crab Benedict .... I like my poach egg hard and the chef made it perfectly . The egg rested on top of a crab cake that was sweet and succulent . They put just the right amount of bearnaise sauce .
I will definitely comeback in one month .

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nathan9551
Thank you for choosing Mandarin Oriental Atlanta for your weekend stay! Our location is the epicenter of excitement as it puts you just steps away from some of Buckhead's greatest eateries and attractions. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back soon!