“Just Okay”

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #3 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 November 2009

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at this location in/on November 25th - 26th. My wife and I needed a quick get-a-way before spending time with family on Thanksgiving. I give this location an "average" review because of the problems I encountered. First, I arrive at The Madison in my SUV with my wife. The valet person was not as friendly as the person who arrived in a luxury automobile. He was hard to understand and held his hand out for a tip after assisting me (something I never experienced before). Check-in went smooth with Whitney. She is very friendly and had my reservation and everything down correctly. My wife and I were celebrating a anniversary, but this was never brought up with any staff member to make us feel special. We get to our room - Superior King on the 7th floor - #710. As we entered the room, there were stains on the carpet and the A/C made a sqeek whenever it kicked on. We called Maintenance (twice) and he finally showed. He attempted to fix it and say it was fixed when it wasn't. Keith offered to change our room. I called the front desk to change rooms and Megan gave us a complimentary upgrade to a Premier Room - #712. It was a nice upgrade and had nice features, but it wasn't enough (in my opinion). The rest of the time was pleasant. We took the house car (Lexus 600H Hybrid) - complimentary in a 2-mile radius. The driver, Patrick, was really friendly. Breakfast was bland, excpet for the breakfast potatoes. Do not order the scrambled eggs - they have no taste. I really wouldn't stay here again until there were some vast improvements done. The hotel is in a great location in Buckhead and the pool was very nice.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jhw82
There are newer reviews for Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta

Reviewed 13 November 2009

Having arrived from the knightmare of Atlanta International airport, this Hotel was excellent. Requests on room had been done, people were friendly. Its rare one can actually relax and trust in service. Well done!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
duddydarb, Managing Director at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2010

Dear Travellersblues,

Glad you were able to enjoy and relax at The Mansion! Come back often and don't forget about the fabulous spa for relaxation. Thank you for reviewing us.

Reviewed 9 November 2009

We stayed for three nights at the Mansion. The rooms are beautiful and the hotel is similarly beautiful. Perhaps because room rates in Atlanta are reasonable, I found the cost of the room to be very good value. Buckhead does not have much to do except for shopping. That worked for my wife as the shopping options were excellent. I would be very pleased to have the opportunity to stay again at the Mansion and would recommend it without reservation.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Canadian-Beagle

Dear Canadian-Beagle,

So glad to hear from our Canadian neighbors that you enjoyed your stay at The Mansion. We will definitely look forward to having you and your wife return and thank you very much for your compliments of our hotel. It is a pleasure to have you with us.

Reviewed 9 November 2009

This hotel is amazing! The location can not be beat; the restaurants can't be beat - CRAFT is across the driveway and the service is impressive. We were amazed by the size of our room; the hidden television in the picture screen and the staff's willingness to make our trip memorable. Although I'm not a big Atlanta fan; I may have to change my tune if I want to stay at the Mansion!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Chicago-Spy,

Read your great review of The Mansion and we're counting on you to come back again soon! Thank you for all the compliments and positive feedback. I enjoy reading each and ever review and particularly appreciate the ones that are as kind as your's .

Best wishes for a wonderful 2010.

Reviewed 7 November 2009

Wow this is the place to stay in Buckhead! My sister and i have stayed at all the fabulous hotels in town thru the years and this is hands down our favorite! We will be staying at this wonderful boutique hotel again next week and i will let you know if the second time was even better!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank ssb2510

Dear Guest from Knoxville,

Really enjoyed your feedback and especially knowing that you would be returning again soon. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of your company many times in 2010. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to enhance your future stays and thank you for your review.

Reviewed 22 October 2009

We booked this hotel for our anniversary. Simply put, the hotel delivers what it promises. It met our expectations, for this special weekend. The room was extremely comfortable, high-tech and clean. The staff was efficient and greeted us by name each time. They also surprised us with an anniversary desert in our room, upon returning from shopping. Breakfast at Neo was delicious, and Craft Bar was top notch.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear gincog,

Just finished reading your review of The Mansion and wanted to take time to thank you for your input and compliments. I read every review and share them with the staff each week at our staff meeting. We appreciate your support and will look forward to having you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 October 2009

Stayed at the Mansion for two nights the weekend of Oct 16-18. We travel frequently and stay in only luxury hotels and found that our experience exceeded our expectations. We had stayed at the new St Regis just a month prior, also a beautiful hotel with gorgeous rooms. But, found the Mansion to have a warmer, less formal feel. The staff at the Mansion was professional yet very warm and friendly. The rooms were beautiful, well appointed, muted tones with splashes of color, very comfortable beds, high quality linens and featherbed. The flat screen tv posed as a painting , the Bose radio, the wood finishes were beautiful. The bathrooms were large, had a mixture of limestone and dark marble, a separate shower, quality fixtures, sconces, all very luxurious. Even the hotel hallways were gracious done in tones of gray and cream. We had breakfast at Neo both mornings. The restaurant is beautiful, the staff inviting and wait staff helpful and friendly. However, the food was not good; even the fruit on the fruit plate was not fresh. The presentation of the food bespoke a prep chef in the kitchen was trained at the local diner. That would be the weak link in this review although there are many great restaurants in the Buckhead area. (We had lunch at Craftbar on another visit, that was excellent.) All in all, we would definitely return to this hotel for future visits.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family

Dear Pianorlh,

Your indepth review of The Mansion was a genuine pleasure to read. I do, however, want to sincerely apologize for the issues you had with the breakfast in NEO and assure you that this was an isolated situation. Please try NEO again when you return and let us know if you do not find an improvement.

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and we will look forward to your return very soon.