“Zoo Atlanta. Such a let down!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 281 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Zoo Atlanta. Such a let down!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

The enviornment the animals are in is very depressing. It was 95-97 degrees and some animals did not have a water supply readily available. Most animals especially the elephants need a much larger place to reside. The entire zoo needs an overhaul. Charge a little more and re-invent the Zoo into something everyone would want to visit several times a year. It would be nice to see them renovate the entire zoo to look something similar to a safari where the animals are behind a fence but have a nice large lush green enviornment to roam around in. Make it a safari like Animal Kingdom and allow patrons to ride through the zoo to see the animals in areas that are similar to their homeland.

Visited June 2011

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“It was "OK"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

I have been to many zoos, and this, by far, was one of the more disappointing expiriences... The zebras/girraffes are SO far away, many of the animal attractions were empty. We waited for 40 minutes to try and get a peak at the Panda. There were TONS of people and NO staff organizing viewing to make sure everyone had a turn. I prefer the Columbia SC zoo!

Visited May 2011
1 Thank cutiecmr1977
Raleigh, North Carolina
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 296 helpful votes
“Wow Factor +”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

I was not ready for a great zoo. I was prepared for what I have already seen too often at major attractions-sad animals, confinement in barren unkempt, far too small pens, and an "we don't really care" attitude, but that is not what I found. Instead I had an eye opening experience full of wonder and wow factor. Allow me to preface further statements by saying I live near the world's best zoo (IMHO)- the NC Zoological Park that provides wide open spaces to its large land mammals akin to an African plain and I have visited zoos world wide including San Diego, Bronx, and London so I have some perspective that might be considered worth credibility. It is obvious that Zoo Atlanta is striving to educate visitors. The education is not heavy handed or difficult to understand. Signs about vanishing habitats and indicators explaining the category of a species' vulnerability to extinction are presented in a way that make the issues easily understood. I was saddened and yet felt a sense of security that zoos like Zoo Atlanta are interested in conservation and rehabilitaion of the environments that support species preservation as well as caring for the individuals in their charge. Habitats were clean and the animals were active. Perhaps the cool rainy weather encouraged the rhino's joy. I have never seen a rhino run across a plain, but I saw one running across its habitat at Zoo Atlanta. Giraffes, nearly close enough to touch, were munching leaves on trees above them. The lion and lioness gazed out of their sheltered den. Parakeets, perhaps as many as 500, or maybe even more, fluttered and dove about freely above my head in the Parakeet Aviary. The reptile house was a surprise. It wasn't dark, dank, or crowded as some are, but brightly lit and it was easy to get a close look at each animal. The panda attraction, apparently notably popular, was accessible and the pandas were actively munching bamboo. There is a large and varied bird collection here with many unusual and colorful species. This is not a huge zoo and is easily enjoyed in just a few hours, but if not pressed for time anyone interested in animals could easily spend a day. There is a petting zoo, several rides, two gift shops and cafes. Go when the weather is cool and parking is abundant.

Visited May 2011
2 Thank TheCovertCritic
Concord, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice Zoo!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

We had only about 2 hours to spend at the zoo but we were not disappointed. We saw many of the "typical" zoo animals and they were in nice habitats. We don't think they were spacious enough generally but if they were larger, it would have been hard to see the animals. The zoo was very clean, well laid out and appointed. We definitely would go back to see whatever we missed.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank OneStar6162
Leesburg, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“needs more parking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

The zoo was pretty nice but no parking is a huge problem. I don't understand why Atlanta didn't take the parking as an important issue. We arrived at the zoo about an hour and a half after they opened and their parking lot was already full. We had to drive all over the neighborhood looking for a parking spot and park on the roadway. This doesn't make sense. I also noticed that some of the animals looked under fed. You all seem to be doing a good job otherwise. But please feed those animals. Thanks

Visited April 2011