“Good to go”

Ranked #17 of 286 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
San Jose, Costa Rica
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Good to go”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Definitely a place to go in Atlanta, is not the best Zoo in the world but more than average, really interesting the Pandas, Orangutans and Gorillas sections.

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
Greenville, South Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great zoo!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Drove down here from the Carolinas to check out the zoo and we were not disappointed at all. We arrived in the morning and stayed till almost closing time, and we were barely able to see everything, I still think we missed a few things. Lots to see and do!!

The animals looked great, their areas for living looked pretty good. The only animal in the zoo that we felt sorry for was the elephant. He was by himself and had his head just sitting against a rock. All the other animals in the zoo were in packs or groups and seemed much happier. They need to add another elephant or something, but what do I know.

There were lots of animals of all shapes and sizes to see. There is no lack of beauty here. They have a lot of information posted by each animal which is interesting for those who like to learn more, such as which ones are endangered and specific reasons why. There is also some fun stuff for younger ones such as a bounce house which requires a ticket, (all rides require a ticket, which is $2.50 I believe) a 5 minute train ride, and a carousel. They also have some places to eat, we stopped at the pizza place and were all surprised that the pizza was actually really good. The gift shop is nice, lots of choices but cramped in parts. I think their selection of stuff to choose from was fun. The people we ran into or talked to that worked there were very friendly and helpful. There is also two shows offered to see which is a bird show and a reptile show. We got into the place late due to crazy parking so we had to pick one show to see and chose the reptile show, I would not recommend it. I don't know how good the bird show is, but it has to be better than the reptile one. They show you one snake and then a possum, bugs, and rats. We were hoping to see more reptiles.

Overall we all enjoyed this zoo, I highly recommend it for a day outing with or without kids. The only thing we did not like was the parking situation, there was absolutely no where to park. It was crazy and people were getting mean and honking and fighting in the lot. It was silly. I think they need to find a way to expand the parking somehow.

Hiram, Georgia
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Clean, but small zoo”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I went to this zoo when I was a little girl and I remember it being much bigger. I guess it was because I was a lot smaller and younger. I took my daughter and she had a good time. It was very clean and the staff was very friendly, however there just wasn't much to see. The lions weren't out and there were several exhibits that were closed. The animals that were out and the easiest to see were the elephants, giraffes, pandas, and gorillas. Don't get me wrong, there were other animals, such as birds and goats, but we didn't come here for that. We went to the St. Louis Zoo in August and it is 4 times bigger and better than this one. I don't think we will be going back here any time soon, if at all.

Visited November 2013
Columbus, OH
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Small zoo, but unique animals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

The zoo is not large, but offers a unique collection of animals. There are your staples (giraffe, elephant, etc.), but also an interesting collection of birds, reptiles, and of course, the pandas. The zoo is easy to navigate by walking, offers several free shows and demonstrations throughout the day, and is surrounded by a very nice park. The staff were courteous and friendly. Overall, it was a very pleasant visit.

Greenville, North Carolina
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Best zoo we have ever been to :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a great zoo to visit for all ages. The animal displays are great, because they showcase the animals in an environment that seems real. Awesome lion exhibit. The male lion in the pack got up on the rock and roared when we were there; just like the Lion King! The pink flamingos are beautiful. There are so many snakes on display that I had to keep walking, because it was so creepy. My kids got to see one eat a mouse! We were there for well over three hours and had a great time :)

1 Thank ktg824