“A nice easy to navigate zoo”
Review of Zoo Atlanta

Ranked #16 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

This is a nice clean zoo with a wide variety of animals . It is not a large zoo which was surprising considering it is in Atlanta. We spent a pleasant 3 hours here taking time for pictures and riding the train. Train ride is short. A good way to spend a few hours.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Definitely a place to go in Atlanta, is not the best Zoo in the world but more than average, really interesting the Pandas, Orangutans and Gorillas sections.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Drove down here from the Carolinas to check out the zoo and we were not disappointed at all. We arrived in the morning and stayed till almost closing time, and we were barely able to see everything, I still think we missed a few things. Lots to see and do!!

The animals looked great, their areas for living looked pretty good. The only animal in the zoo that we felt sorry for was the elephant. He was by himself and had his head just sitting against a rock. All the other animals in the zoo were in packs or groups and seemed much happier. They need to add another elephant or something, but what do I know.

There were lots of animals of all shapes and sizes to see. There is no lack of beauty here. They have a lot of information posted by each animal which is interesting for those who like to learn more, such as which ones are endangered and specific reasons why. There is also some fun stuff for younger ones such as a bounce house which requires a ticket, (all rides require a ticket, which is $2.50 I believe) a 5 minute train ride, and a carousel. They also have some places to eat, we stopped at the pizza place and were all surprised that the pizza was actually really good. The gift shop is nice, lots of choices but cramped in parts. I think their selection of stuff to choose from was fun. The people we ran into or talked to that worked there were very friendly and helpful. There is also two shows offered to see which is a bird show and a reptile show. We got into the place late due to crazy parking so we had to pick one show to see and chose the reptile show, I would not recommend it. I don't know how good the bird show is, but it has to be better than the reptile one. They show you one snake and then a possum, bugs, and rats. We were hoping to see more reptiles.

Overall we all enjoyed this zoo, I highly recommend it for a day outing with or without kids. The only thing we did not like was the parking situation, there was absolutely no where to park. It was crazy and people were getting mean and honking and fighting in the lot. It was silly. I think they need to find a way to expand the parking somehow.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I went to this zoo when I was a little girl and I remember it being much bigger. I guess it was because I was a lot smaller and younger. I took my daughter and she had a good time. It was very clean and the staff was very friendly, however there just wasn't much to see. The lions weren't out and there were several exhibits that were closed. The animals that were out and the easiest to see were the elephants, giraffes, pandas, and gorillas. Don't get me wrong, there were other animals, such as birds and goats, but we didn't come here for that. We went to the St. Louis Zoo in August and it is 4 times bigger and better than this one. I don't think we will be going back here any time soon, if at all.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

The zoo is not large, but offers a unique collection of animals. There are your staples (giraffe, elephant, etc.), but also an interesting collection of birds, reptiles, and of course, the pandas. The zoo is easy to navigate by walking, offers several free shows and demonstrations throughout the day, and is surrounded by a very nice park. The staff were courteous and friendly. Overall, it was a very pleasant visit.