“Nice clean place to visit with family”
Review of Zoo Atlanta

Ranked #17 of 289 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Nice clean place to visit with family”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I was so excited to visit the zoo, because of the all the new babies that have been born there. I was disappointed, because the baby pandas were not out yet. I wish they would have told that on the website. I would have scheduled going another time. However, the trip wasn't in vain!!

My husband and I really had a wonderful time (even though we don't have children). We both love animals and loved that the animals were out and about. We also liked seeing the zoo care givers out and about talking with visitors and sharing information about the zoo animals. It was very informative.

If you go, make sure you take the time to find out when you the visitor can feed the animals. I fed the giraffe. It is somehing amazing to be so close to wild animals. This (I think) makes the Zoo so very unique. Most zoos have a petting zoo (goats or camels usually). But to be able to be so close to giraffes or elephants, is so awesome.

One note, finding the actual parking lot for the Zoo (not the park) is challenging. So make sure you get proper directions to the back side parking. We ended up in the adjacent park, parking lot and had to walk a little ways to get to the zoo entrance.

We also ate at the zoo and we were pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the food prices were. We only spent $18 for two people. We thought it was going to be a lot more. But we were very pleased that it was so reasonable for an attraction as such.

We will definitely be visiting the Atlanta Zoo again in the very near future...gotta try and see those baby pandas!!

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
cullman
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“good time”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

went to see the baby pandas, was disappointed because they were not able to be out yet even thought the web site said they would be, other tan that, had a good time. saw some animals I had never seen in real life before.

Toledo, Ohio
268 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“A nice easy to navigate zoo”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

This is a nice clean zoo with a wide variety of animals . It is not a large zoo which was surprising considering it is in Atlanta. We spent a pleasant 3 hours here taking time for pictures and riding the train. Train ride is short. A good way to spend a few hours.

San Jose, Costa Rica
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Good to go”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Definitely a place to go in Atlanta, is not the best Zoo in the world but more than average, really interesting the Pandas, Orangutans and Gorillas sections.

Visited October 2013
Greenville, South Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great zoo!!”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Drove down here from the Carolinas to check out the zoo and we were not disappointed at all. We arrived in the morning and stayed till almost closing time, and we were barely able to see everything, I still think we missed a few things. Lots to see and do!!

The animals looked great, their areas for living looked pretty good. The only animal in the zoo that we felt sorry for was the elephant. He was by himself and had his head just sitting against a rock. All the other animals in the zoo were in packs or groups and seemed much happier. They need to add another elephant or something, but what do I know.

There were lots of animals of all shapes and sizes to see. There is no lack of beauty here. They have a lot of information posted by each animal which is interesting for those who like to learn more, such as which ones are endangered and specific reasons why. There is also some fun stuff for younger ones such as a bounce house which requires a ticket, (all rides require a ticket, which is $2.50 I believe) a 5 minute train ride, and a carousel. They also have some places to eat, we stopped at the pizza place and were all surprised that the pizza was actually really good. The gift shop is nice, lots of choices but cramped in parts. I think their selection of stuff to choose from was fun. The people we ran into or talked to that worked there were very friendly and helpful. There is also two shows offered to see which is a bird show and a reptile show. We got into the place late due to crazy parking so we had to pick one show to see and chose the reptile show, I would not recommend it. I don't know how good the bird show is, but it has to be better than the reptile one. They show you one snake and then a possum, bugs, and rats. We were hoping to see more reptiles.

Overall we all enjoyed this zoo, I highly recommend it for a day outing with or without kids. The only thing we did not like was the parking situation, there was absolutely no where to park. It was crazy and people were getting mean and honking and fighting in the lot. It was silly. I think they need to find a way to expand the parking somehow.

Visited October 2013