“Great place for kids”

Ranked #16 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I took my nephews to the zoo who were visiting from out of the country.They seemed to enjoy it immensely.I saw a great deal of animals and birds for the first time,and that was pretty cool too.However,I may be a bit biased about my overall experience.I have seen animals in their natural habitat on several occasions, and seeing animals in a zoo pales in comparison.It was a great outing nonetheless.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was spoiled by growing up near a totally fantastic FREE zoo in St. Louis so we had a little sticker shock here but it was a very well maintained zoo with lots of hands-on interaction opportunities and playgrounds, shops (the one next to the Panda exhibit is best) and an eat in (or out) restaurant with some healthy choices. We went in November when it was cool out and the animals were very active and seemed to be studying us just as much as we were them. It's always a good day to go to the zoo!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Zoo Atlanta is situated in Grant Park, so there's not much room, if any, to expand. With that being said, Zoo Atlanta does its best to maximize the limited space that it has. The pandas are definitely charming! I wonder if the tortoises are claustrophobic. (There's not much room for the four of them.) I estimate an adult could leisurely stroll through the zoo, in 1.5 hours, perhaps two. The reptile house is a collection of small aquariums. A building campaign to rebuild/renovate it would be great. Zoo Atlanta has truly improved since the 1980s. I'm sure it will only get better. It's a little pricy compared to other city zoos w/ regards to the variety of animals that are housed there. As part of the City Pass deal, it's a good bargain. Many of the shops were closed, but I believe it was a week day. The staff was quite friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

We had a great time visiting the zoo! It was my husband, myself and our 6 and 2 year old. We enjoyed everything about the zoo. Was just a little disappointed that we couldn't see the baby pandas and some of the other animals were put away due to the cold but we still had a great time. A few people said they were disappointed in the size. We walked around for several hours and didn't see everything. They also have a scavenger hint for kids or various other activities if you find the little huts they are in ask. Also look for coupons. I did a search a few days before we left and found $3 off per person. 2 and under are also free so that's a nice perk!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I was so excited to visit the zoo, because of the all the new babies that have been born there. I was disappointed, because the baby pandas were not out yet. I wish they would have told that on the website. I would have scheduled going another time. However, the trip wasn't in vain!!

My husband and I really had a wonderful time (even though we don't have children). We both love animals and loved that the animals were out and about. We also liked seeing the zoo care givers out and about talking with visitors and sharing information about the zoo animals. It was very informative.

If you go, make sure you take the time to find out when you the visitor can feed the animals. I fed the giraffe. It is somehing amazing to be so close to wild animals. This (I think) makes the Zoo so very unique. Most zoos have a petting zoo (goats or camels usually). But to be able to be so close to giraffes or elephants, is so awesome.

One note, finding the actual parking lot for the Zoo (not the park) is challenging. So make sure you get proper directions to the back side parking. We ended up in the adjacent park, parking lot and had to walk a little ways to get to the zoo entrance.

We also ate at the zoo and we were pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the food prices were. We only spent $18 for two people. We thought it was going to be a lot more. But we were very pleased that it was so reasonable for an attraction as such.

We will definitely be visiting the Atlanta Zoo again in the very near future...gotta try and see those baby pandas!!