“Great Zoo, and they are always improving”
Review of Zoo Atlanta

Ranked #16 of 291 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Marietta, Georgia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great Zoo, and they are always improving”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We have had a season pass for the Zoo 3 years in a row. This is a great deal because most of the fees are tax deductible. You get gift shop and concession discounts with membership as well. The zoo is a clean, and has many updates. They are adding some new exhibits in the upcoming year as well. They recently added the area to view and feed the giraffes. The Panda exhibit is wonderful too. The zoo is hilly though, so be prepared. They do offer wheel chair, stroller and motorized cart rental. Boo at the Zoo is a must in October. All the fun off the zoo with tricker treating, costumes, and a party off the kids. Get there before the park opens to ensure parking or you will be waiting and fighting for a spot.

Visited October 2013

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great place for kids”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I took my nephews to the zoo who were visiting from out of the country.They seemed to enjoy it immensely.I saw a great deal of animals and birds for the first time,and that was pretty cool too.However,I may be a bit biased about my overall experience.I have seen animals in their natural habitat on several occasions, and seeing animals in a zoo pales in comparison.It was a great outing nonetheless.

Shawano, Wisconsin
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Great Zoo, expensive entrance fee”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was spoiled by growing up near a totally fantastic FREE zoo in St. Louis so we had a little sticker shock here but it was a very well maintained zoo with lots of hands-on interaction opportunities and playgrounds, shops (the one next to the Panda exhibit is best) and an eat in (or out) restaurant with some healthy choices. We went in November when it was cool out and the animals were very active and seemed to be studying us just as much as we were them. It's always a good day to go to the zoo!

Atlanta, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Compact & Clean”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Zoo Atlanta is situated in Grant Park, so there's not much room, if any, to expand. With that being said, Zoo Atlanta does its best to maximize the limited space that it has. The pandas are definitely charming! I wonder if the tortoises are claustrophobic. (There's not much room for the four of them.) I estimate an adult could leisurely stroll through the zoo, in 1.5 hours, perhaps two. The reptile house is a collection of small aquariums. A building campaign to rebuild/renovate it would be great. Zoo Atlanta has truly improved since the 1980s. I'm sure it will only get better. It's a little pricy compared to other city zoos w/ regards to the variety of animals that are housed there. As part of the City Pass deal, it's a good bargain. Many of the shops were closed, but I believe it was a week day. The staff was quite friendly and helpful.

Visited October 2013
Chicago, IL
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun day for the family”
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

We had a great time visiting the zoo! It was my husband, myself and our 6 and 2 year old. We enjoyed everything about the zoo. Was just a little disappointed that we couldn't see the baby pandas and some of the other animals were put away due to the cold but we still had a great time. A few people said they were disappointed in the size. We walked around for several hours and didn't see everything. They also have a scavenger hint for kids or various other activities if you find the little huts they are in ask. Also look for coupons. I did a search a few days before we left and found $3 off per person. 2 and under are also free so that's a nice perk!