“Pandas and more!”

Ranked #16 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Everyone knows Zoo Atlanta has pandas and believe me, they are worth the visit all by themselves! But the zoo has so many more animals to see. The gorilla exhibit is always a treat. The zoo holds several families of gorillas with excellent viewing in a natural habitat. This fall I had the opportunity to see a baby black rhino, a baby orangutan, and several baby gorillas. There are opportunities to feed a couple of the animals (I highly recommend the giraffe feeding) for a small fee. They are building a new, much needed herpetarium to house the "creepy, crawlies". The walking paths are beautifully lined with foliage, providing much needed shade. I have never eaten at the little snack shops spread throughout the zoo, but I have eaten at the big restaurant, and I like it! The prices are not exorbitant and their is a good selection of food. The zoo is spread out, so I would definitely recommend strollers or wagons for young ones.

1  Thank cmac1101

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Good not great. The Gorilla, Orangeutang & Panda exhibits are the highlights in my opinion. The elephant pen is way too small & make me sad to see the elephants rocking back & forth in boredom. Good family experience with easy parking.

1  Thank Lorrie D
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We have had a season pass for the Zoo 3 years in a row. This is a great deal because most of the fees are tax deductible. You get gift shop and concession discounts with membership as well. The zoo is a clean, and has many updates. They are adding some new exhibits in the upcoming year as well. They recently added the area to view and feed the giraffes. The Panda exhibit is wonderful too. The zoo is hilly though, so be prepared. They do offer wheel chair, stroller and motorized cart rental. Boo at the Zoo is a must in October. All the fun off the zoo with tricker treating, costumes, and a party off the kids. Get there before the park opens to ensure parking or you will be waiting and fighting for a spot.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I took my nephews to the zoo who were visiting from out of the country.They seemed to enjoy it immensely.I saw a great deal of animals and birds for the first time,and that was pretty cool too.However,I may be a bit biased about my overall experience.I have seen animals in their natural habitat on several occasions, and seeing animals in a zoo pales in comparison.It was a great outing nonetheless.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was spoiled by growing up near a totally fantastic FREE zoo in St. Louis so we had a little sticker shock here but it was a very well maintained zoo with lots of hands-on interaction opportunities and playgrounds, shops (the one next to the Panda exhibit is best) and an eat in (or out) restaurant with some healthy choices. We went in November when it was cool out and the animals were very active and seemed to be studying us just as much as we were them. It's always a good day to go to the zoo!