“Wonderfully surprized”

Ranked #17 of 289 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Six Mile, South Carolina
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Wonderfully surprized”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I was surprized at how well kept the Zoo was on our first visit. Of course the pandas were our favorite, but the gorillas and all animal exhibits were very good. We also enjoyed the fun little train. Everyone there was very friendly and helpful. It was an excellent visit to Zoo Atlanta with CityPass. I wouldn't hesitate to visit there again soon.

Visited July 2014

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice surprise! ”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Having moved from Sam Diego to Atlanta, I had very low expectations for this zoo. Yes, it is smaller and can't compare to the San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park as far as variety of animals, exhibits and shows, etc. My husband and I were impressed, however, with panda and gorilla enclosures. They are nothing short of amazing. Take your time and read the story of Willy B in the gorilla house. I was very impressed with the roll Atlanta has played in the education amd conservation of these magnificent animals. The same goes for the pandas. My daughter's did the panda encounter and were thrilled with the interaction they had. We were also happy to see that this zoo reminds people of the horrible exploitation many of these creatures suffer and how important conservation is. We are now avid supporters of this zoo and we're thrilled to hear an expansion is in the works!

Savannah, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Nice zoo”
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Love the pandas and the zoo is very nice. It looks like it could use some updating in certain areas but overall we had a lot of fun and all the animals were awesome. I think the zoo might be a little expensive in comparison to others but I guess it's expensive to run a zoo so I can't complain. Outside of the zoo was a little questionable but to be expected in the city!?

Atlanta, Georgia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Zoo Atlanta Wedding”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I've enjoyed visiting this zoo many times as a child and then later, brought my son here. Saturday night I attended my first wedding held at this venue. Although it was a very hot August evening, it was comfortable watching the couple marry under the covered Chinese Plaza. The wedding reception was focused around the Panda Veranda. Food and beverage was catered by the Zoo and was delicious. The staff was excellent at serving everyone and making them feel welcome. The dress code seemed to be "comfortably formal" with ladies wearing everything from long gowns to sundresses, and from heels to flip flops. Shuttles were run from parking lot to wedding area. As wedding guests, we were treated to a private panda viewing and saw a few other parts of the zoo at no fee. I'm sure this was a pricey event, but what a great time everyone had.

Visited August 2014
Elma, Washington
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Pandas, meerkats, orangutan”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

The animals all seemed lazy, Must have been the heat, but it is a very well laid out zoo with lots of shade. The reptile exhibit is impressive and the orangutan and gorillas are fun to watch.