“Such a nice zoo!”

Ranked #16 of 291 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Hammond, Louisiana
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Such a nice zoo!”
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I saw some reviews where people complained about this zoo, but my family loved it! We live outside of New Orleans and have a wonderful zoo here. I knew this zoo had pandas though, so I was sold right away!

There's a ton of shade, so it was nice and cool. Most of the animals you can get really close to, so that was great. Our daughter loved the pandas.

There was a carousel, rock climbing wall and train as far as the rides went. The carousel was really nice and the train ride was nice but it didn't go far at all. It would've been nice if they had one that went around a large portion of the zoo. We didn't do the rock climbing wall as our daughter is only two.

They had a few different animals as well that I had never seen or heard of. They had a red panda, which looks like a fox, and meerkats. Oh, and they even had labels on various plants around the park. There were many beautiful trees and plants throughout the zoo.

The only disappointment or rather aggravation, was that the Nathan's hot dog stand wasn't open, so we had to go where they said they were available and they weren't. We wound up going back to the original place for lunch to get the hot dogs.

1 Thank chalgirl1981

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
McDonough, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“zoo is great but visitors are rude”
Reviewed 15 November 2010

took my 2 yr old son & 3 yr old neice & you wouldnt believe how rude people can be . adults stepping in front of & over toddlers because they want to see the animals ... pushing someone's stroller with a kid in it out of theyre way. & people dont teach they're kids any maners anymore . there were teenagers on the playground & one was STANDING ON my neice & didnt seem to care or be in a hurry to move .....even tho we only paid a portion of the price to get in due to a special deal day . i wish we could go do it all over again because my kids didnt have a good time they didnt get to see much. i would go back on weekdays but never again on a weekend

3 Thank clcochran
Warner Robins, Georgia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Like The Georgia Aquarium, there are better zoos too....”
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We went to the Atlanta zoo on a glorious fall day. The temperature and humidity were low, and the sun was shining and bright. The zoo is nestled in the middle of a neighborhood. There is very little parking! Be forewarned. We had a long walk from our car parked on the street far from the entrance. Also, if you have trouble walking long hilly distances, then beware....you may want to be dropped off in the front, as it is a steep decline/incline getting to the front of the zoo. We got tickets online before leaving. I could see this being an advantage when the zoo is crowded, but today was a nice, uncrowded day, and there were no lines. The woman who took our tickets was RUDE, and had ZERO personality, and had NO BUSINESS working with the public, much less children. Two kids, probably under the age of 6 came up asking for maps, politely I might add...she gave them this 'Uh, excuse me, I am listening to my IPOD, you are bothering me, look' and pointed to the stack of maps. She barely grunted at us, and I made a point of saying "THANK YOU" to the hideous biddy. Some people should not get jobs just because they live in the area. Sorry. When you are doing business, niceness matters, and this shrew had absolutely no business out there. Other than HER, the staff at the zoo was engaging and very accommodating to the public. If you had a question about an animal, there was always someone there to give you information or answers. I am a well traveled person, having been to zoos all over the world...this zoo, is just okay. The exhibits are way too small for the animals, and like someone else, I think some of the animals are under stress. The Sun Bears were pacing back and forth, bored out of their minds....the elephant looked like he wished he was anywhere but in that small enclosure he is forced to call home. Then there is the problem of the exhibits themselves..they are so obstructed you can't see anything. We HEARD the Sumatran Tiger roaring, but couldn't see him because of the foliage surrounding his enclosure. The Panda exhibit was nice, and seeing mom with her baby was precious...the gorillas, all I can say is ..wow!! Love them, love seeing them, but wishing they were in the forests of the Congo instead of an area the size of my backyard......this zoo just isn't big enough by today's standards to adequately care for/entertain these animals...and it is difficult to see them being so bored and have no stimulation. The sea otter exhibit was a joke. A neighborhood koi pool is bigger than the pool given to them. You want a zoo? Trying Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, or better yet, the Brookfield Zoo south of Chicago. Both are spectacular. The Lincoln Park Zoo is in a city setting, but much nicer with bigger exhibits...and IT IS FREE! The Brookfield Zoo is big, and spread out, but oh, my..what you get is animals with space and stimulation, and they are happier. Happier animals make for happier visitors. I left just sad. :(

2 Thank GeorgiaDisneyLover
Louisville, KY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Spent all day there!”
Reviewed 21 October 2010

We arrived at 10:00, and left at 5:30. The website has a fun scavenger hunt to print off and take; my older child enjoyed hunting down the answers as we saw the animals. Zoo Atlanta does a great job fitting a lot of animals to see into a smaller acreage. They don't waste any space. Enjoyed seeing a trained bird show and elephant feeding and tricks. Lots of trees for shade, and a fun playground as a bonus.

2 Thank familytraveler42010
North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“FUN, but go early to avoid lines.”
Reviewed 12 October 2010

This isn't a huge Zoo, but that makes it great. Very kid friendly and the pandas alone are worth the trip. Parking can get tight so go early.

1 Thank doctor16