“Horrible Staff”

Ranked #122 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Lawrence, KS
“Horrible Staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

1. When I check in, the receptionist was not welcoming at all. I noticed that the receptionist was quite mad with something/someone else at that moment. After she checked me in, she almost tossed the key to the counter. She did not tell me which floor I will stay at, where the elevator is or anything else i need help. She just turned back to her computer! Also I was not greeted as IHG member or notified anything regarding to IHG. Basically except for asking me to sign the guest agreement, she did not talk to me at all.

2.The other day I was using the business center, the computer was super slow even though it looked like a brand new model. In addition, the printer was broken. At that moment, the
same associate who checked me in approached the printer with paper saying
that printer is broken. Then she turned to me, 'the printer is broken, ok?' The tone is aggressive and condescending. And she did not ask whether I need to print boarding pass or not or offer help with that. In other hotels (even the same Hotel Inn brand), I will be asked if I need to print boarding pass they can help me, something like that. There is nothing here!

3. In the room, there are not any outlets near the bedhead. I need to unplug one for the alarm which is located at a very awkward place blocked by the mattress. The coffee machine was connected to an extension but power surge protector was not turned on and placed behind the TV stand beyond reach. So I can not brew any coffee in the room. But they do offer free coffee in the lobby. I give them credit for this.

3. Housekeeping is good in general but she did not clean the trash on the night stand until the last day.

By the way, I do submit my complaints to IHG but nobody responded after two months.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ricky P, General Manager at The Inn at Centennial Park, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear IvyHawk, First and foremost let me apologize for not reaching out to you sooner, I would not further insult you by making a excuse for it. I clearly remember your survey response from October and I'd like to share with you the changes it brought about. The receptionist you metioned earlier was extensively coached, and without going to greater detail, we have made other significant changes....Needless to say whether you are a motel 8 or a ritz, a warm welcome is absolute requirement in our business. The business center was a area that obviously was underdeveloped and since your reivew, we have not only upgrade the units themselves but installed a heavy duty commerical printer to take care of all our guest needs. And finally we have installed a completely new lamp package in all our rooms, that not only offer better visibility but also has individual outlets to keep all our guest connected without having to find a outlet. I noticed you mentioned our housekeeping staff in this review and I will be sure to address your concern, being a former housekeeper I know that there is always a fear of throwing away items left on a counter as sometimes they may have a value we are unaware of. Again Thank you, for brining your concerns to light, the reality is guest such as yourself are the fuel for change and we hope to keep growing as a hotel and as a staff.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Thai first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in early November for an event that was in downtown Atlanta. Every person at the hotel whom we dealt with was perfectly pleasant and treated us like we were staying at a five star hotel. Even the bartender at the bar went out of his way. I accidently left a shoe behind and didn't realize it until a week later. I left a message on the housekeeping answering machine and recieved a call back the next morning telling me they had my shoe. That kind of thing doesn't happen anymore. I will recommend this hotel to any friends or family coming into town.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Watkinsville, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We decided to stay here this past weekend for a special anniversary trip; we had concert tickets to the Philips Arena and this hotel was close to the arena.

On the positive sides, this hotel is very close to major attractions including the Arena, Ferris Wheel, Aquarium and CNN. There is some major construction in the surrounding areas but when the streetcar system is finished this location will be even better.

Now, for the negatives.

1. I had asked the Holiday Inn staff for the contact email for the property as I wanted to make a special request for our anniversary. They provided the following: info@atlhidowntown.com. As of today, that email has yet to be delivered. Apparently, they gave me the incorrect email address.

2. We received a nice room with a view (Room 1028). We had a direct view of the ferris wheel and the arena area. Little did we know this would be the room from HELL! Details of the problems:

-- Apparently, the soda machines are being removed. There was one in the vending area... but it was unlocked and open and empty. I am surprised it was not at least locked; as there was a small kid playing in there when we got on the floor.

-- The message light was blinking on the phone. I checked the message... and the automated system said it was a message from October 30th (we are in the room on November 16). After listening to the message, I tried to delete the message. It would not delete and the operator could not help. As such, we had a blinking light the entire stay.

-- The alarm clock had not been updated; still set to old time (I would think that housekeeping would think to reset the clock at some point over the past few weeks).

-- Parts of the room were filthy. There was a major build up of dust around the fire speaker and water sprinkler. It was so bad that it was almost black in color (actually took pictures because I thought it was mold at first!).

-- When checking in, I asked for a late checkout (2 pm) as a Platinum Elite and it was granted. Of course, that did not work.... housekeeping knocked and tried to come in at 9 am in the morning! So much for the Do Not Disturb sign!

3. Now, while all those issues were bad, they were not what made this stay impossible. When we returned from the concert around 11 pm, we were exhausted. We went to bed; and could not get to sleep. Our room was two rooms from the elevators. There was a major annoying noise coming from the elevators every time the cars moved up or down. There was nothing we could do to get to sleep. I called the front desk at about 12:30 am and let it ring for about 20 times, but no one ever picked up the phone. I gave up at that point. My partner finally fell asleep around 2 am.... I never did get to sleep at all overnight. I was awake all night as there was no way to disguise the noise. So, when housekeeping knocked and ignored our late check out, it was very annoying as we did not get any sleep.

When checking out, the desk agent asked how our stay was at the hotel. I said "It was terrible. We got no sleep due to your elevators." He said that there had been no complaints and that he would have the chief engineer look into it. I was very disappointed there was no apology or offer to do something.to make up for the bad stay.

While standing outside waiting for our car from the valet, we were talking to other people that had the exact same problem with the noise.

I find it hard to believe that this is the first time this has happened and that the hotel is unaware of the issue.

Room Tip: BE as far away from the elevators as possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hokies87
Ricky P, General Manager at The Inn at Centennial Park, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Hokies87,

I am so terribly sorry about your stay, it is a absolute embarrasment to hear about all the issues you experienced while under our care. You are completley correct, that email is the wrong email address as it was discontinued when our management company assumed control of the property, this is a issue that I will have rectified immediatley. As for the issues in the room, I truly apologize, I will personally have a conversation with our housekeeping staff about being aware of small details such as blinking lights, high dust and clock times. I can only imagine the impression we left on you is that "we dont care" but I can assure you that is far from the truth. The reality is no hotel is perfect, however the true value of any business is wowing a customer when the oppurtunity presents itself. I honestly do wish we had connected prior to your arrival, I know how important a anniversary and the chance to make it special is something we would have really liked to be part of. I wish you the best of future travels and hope that you will one day give Holiday Inn another chance to make your stay the one you deserve.

Ricky Patel
Rickyp@hidwtn-atlanta.com

Travellers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

Rockmart, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown and was rewarded with a memorable experience that I feel should be duly noted. Upon my arrival I was greeted with the most professional, and informative valet staff that I have experienced. They were attentive and knowledgeable about the local attractions and geography. I recall one individual, Joe, even going so far as to advise another business traveler an effective strategy to book another IHG hotel in another region and state, upon his departure from The Holiday Inn Downtown. What a compliment to the Holiday Inn Corporation. at the same time Joe's associate "Effe", I think was giving another patron directions to a popular restaurant that had great reviews. During the course of my stay I watched the other valets, during the performance of their duties, equally as professional and efficient. Even the ones working late in the evening in twenty something degree weather and throughout the night. Yes, you get the same level of service from them twenty four hours a day! Not once did I see a guest have any shortcomings about relinquishing their personal vehicles and valuables to this staff. In fact, upon my departure, I was amused by another guests pleasure and display of satisfaction with a valet named Isaiah. LOL. She was pumping her fists up and down shouting "Isaiah's the man", "Isaiah's the man", over and over. Congratulations Holiday Inn Downtown for choosing the right valet company. Undoubtedly whomever is overseeing this staff is a great asset to this competitive customer driven business.

Room Tip: Use the valets before you check in. You will be reassured that the rest of your stay will be just as...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

The staff was very friendly and the location is great. It is close to many downtown attractions. The property however needs some work. One of the two elevators makes a metallic grinding sound that can clearly be heard from rooms halfway down the corridor. Twice I found bugs in the room which made me question the cleanliness. It was very difficult to limit the amount of light coming in from the windows as the curtains do not go all the way shut and there is no blackout drapes. The corridor was noisy and there is no continuous fan setting on the AC to help reduce background noise. The breakfast was good and they do a good job of recognizing their rewards club members with a complimentary buffet. That being said given the quality of the room and sleep quality the price is not a good value when you add the $20 valet parking fee. This was my second try at this Holiday Inn and unless the do some sprucing up I will probably pick another location on my next trip to Atlanta.

Room Tip: Make sure you pick a room on the end of the corridor to be as far away from the elevators as possibl...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Ricky P, Public Relations Manager at The Inn at Centennial Park, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear TPAPT,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at our Hotel. I certainly apologize for the lack of a good night’s sleep. We have contacted our elevator service company to inspect the elevators and identify what may be causing the noise you indicate. I fully understand how important a robust wi-fi signal is to staying connected to business and family while away from home. We do enjoy great location just steps away from all of the major Atlanta attractions.

Rick Burnette
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I just checked out on October 31st and I was having a pleasant stay until I got home and realized that I left some personal items behind in my room. I forgot to pack my electric shaver that was in a bag along with two watches. I called the hotel the next day after I realized that I had left these items and I was transferred to their lost and found department. Lost and found informed me that no items were left behind in the room and gave me a pretty good runaround. So apparently housekeeping stole the very nice Kenneth Cole and Fossil watch along with my Norelco wet/dry shaver. To the scum bag who has these items, I hope you are enjoying them.

Room Tip: Triple check your room before you leave. Finders keepers is alive and well at this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ricky P, General Manager at The Inn at Centennial Park, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Teamram,

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention, I am appauled by the idea that one of our staff members would take anything from one of our guest and I would like to get to the bottom of it. When you are able please send me a email at Rickyp@hidwtn-atlanta.com or call the hotel as I would like to get more information about your stay and the items as well as have the chance to take care of you. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you,

Ricky P
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We just stayed at this location Oct 24th-26th for the Bands of America Competition held at the Georgia Dome. This hotel is near everything!!! We walked to the Aquarium and the Coca Cola Factory within 10 mins. The Olympic park across the street is simply beautiful as is the Ferris Wheel. Even the Waffle House next door is great:) Our room was clean with comfy beds and a clean bathroom. We didn’t notice or see any thing negative. The staff was great especially Tracee (she stayed on the line with me because I got lost due to the construction). I have nothing but good reviews for this hotel. I would recommend this hotel!!!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Olympic Park
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family