“Good location but very rude staff; fistfight outside my room”

The Georgian Terrace Hotel
Ranked #27 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Columbia, South Carolina
“Good location but very rude staff; fistfight outside my room”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for a wedding. There was a block of room reserved for the wedding and the reception was at the Fox across the street. From a location standpoint, it's great, especially if you have something to attend at the Fox or nearby. The room was nice and spacious, and the bed was quite comfortable.

However, the staff was incredibly rude and at times I felt vey unsafe. Let’s start with the valet and front area staff. My 91 year old grandfather was with us, and upon returning from lunch one day, we pulled into the circle in front the hotel to drop him off. He uses a cane and moves slowly. While trying to assist him out of the care, one of the valets continuously honked at us and yelled at us to move and hurry up. This is completely unacceptable behavior and out of line. A couple of times, I asked the front desk staff questions and they would rudely brush me off and tell me to speak with the valets out front. Additionally, the bellhops and staff in general would literally run you over and push you out of the way to get on and off the elevators. My feeling is that the guest should always come first.

While we were there, there were several large events going on, including a fraternity convention. The second night we were there, I woke up to very loud, screaming, cursing and fighting outside my door. I peeked out and saw 2 college-age guys fighting outside my door. I called the front desk, and asked them to send security ASAP due to the situation. The front desk guy could have cared less and didn’t seem to be concerned or care at all. Several hours later, I was again awoken by the same thing, but this time is was several females. For the size of the hotel and the number of events going on, I would have hope they would have done a better job checking on things.

Would I stay here again – maybe, I don’t know.

Note – the elevators are quite slow so plan accordingly or take the stairs.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank elisbanders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I made my reservation for a room with 2 Queen beds in January 2008 for labor day weekend 2008. We are talking over 7 (YES...SEVEN) months in advance. Upon arriving at the hotel there was a very long line to check in and only 2 desk clerks checking people in. This translated to an hour long wait to get up to the desk so I had lengthy chats with those around me. The lady in front of me was with a large wedding party at the hotel and she had made her reservation about a week ago as did most of the wedding party. Basically what I watched unfold during the hour long wait is that any guest who was not with the wedding party was being told that there was no room for them and they were going to move them to a sister hotel elsewhere. By the time I got up to the desk I was told the same thing. With a wife and 2 young kids in tow I was beyond irriated. I explained to the clerk that I had made my reservation over 7 months ago, showed her my printed out email confirmation and told her that they had my email addrress and phone number and they obviously knew they had a problem with overbooking so they should have contacted me prior to my arrival and priot to making me wait in line for an hour to be told they didn't have a room. At this point the line was no less longer than it was when I had first entered the line so I told the clerk that if they didn't have a room for me then they didn't have a room for the 40 people standing in line behind me either. After several minutes and conferring behind the scenes, lo and behold they had a room for me. However it had a single king bed so they expected my wife, myself and our 7 and 9 year old boys to all sleep in the same bed and pay $300 to do so. In the end I got a roll away cot and slept on that and checked out the next night. This place sucks royally and they obviously don't care about guests unless they happen to be with a large group. I'd never stay in this dump again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank R W
GTManager, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
R W,

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We truly apologize for the situation, and want to assure you that we do care about you and all of our guests equally and with our utmost appreciation. As frustrating as it can be, of the nature of travel makes overbooking rooms a widespread hotel industry standard. Oftentimes guests also choose to extend their stay or change their room needs during their stay. While we try to accommodate everyone as much as possible, other guests checking in that day might have had different needs, while your requirements may have been better suited with another property that day. We are an independent property, but work together with the other area hotels when big groups come into the city, so we can all make your experience smooth.
We are glad you haven't had to deal with this situation previously, but hope you are open and willing to give us a chance to show you the hospitality you should receive while traveling. Thank you again for taking the time to help us improve; we depend on our guests to help us and hope to earn you back as a guest again in the future.

Warmest regards,
Brianna Salomon
buenos aires
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I picked this hotel for a short biz trip based on a great price and convenient location. This was a case of getting much more than I paid for. I arrived early, and not only did they find me a room, but they upgraded it to a gorgeous two-bedroom apartment with fantastic views! The bed was so comfortable that I did not want to get up. Finally a hotel bed with flatter pillows, yay! The staff helped me with everything, and always with a smile, including bringing up scissors at 10 pm to open a plastic "bullet-proof" package! Desk personnel magically knew my name and even arranged for the hotel car to drop me off at the metro station. Dining room service was also excellent. Only thing I would change would be the modern decor in the foyer & dining room as it gives a very cold feel. This is warm Southern hospitality at its best! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank alegria818
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My reviews generally center around a photography experience. The Georgian Terrace is a classic hotel across from Atlanta's fabulous Fox Theatre. I photographed the interior and was amazed at the luxury, yet simplicity of the accommodations. The lobby is a study unto itself. Very interesting shots from up above. The view from the rooftop is stunning. Nearly 360 degrees of viewing pleasure. I was allowed access into the penthouse suites and they are unbelieveably beautiful. Two story suites with a kitchen and dining room as well as bedrooms with private baths. Some of the best photography I've done was in this gem of a hotel. Oh yes, the staff is wonderful too. I highly recommend this venue for travellers and photographers alike.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Oxford, Georgia
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I am a native of Atlanta and now live almost an hour from downtown. We love staying here when we go to the Fox for concerts and my husband's class reunion was also here last year. The check in staff are excellent as are the reservationists. This hotel is a landmark and even though it is older the rooms have been remodeled and are beautiful. We love getting a room with kitchen and having friends for drinks before concerts. The one thing I do not like is the kitchen is not furnished, we bring our own glassware and it may be possible to request it we just never have. I love to stay here and will keep going back!

Room Tip: If you book through an internet hotel website call the hotel before you go to confirm your room is w...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luvtogo2
Centreville, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We often take day trips to Atlanta. We have stayed in several upscale hotels. However this was the best ! From the first minute of our arrival until we left- the entire staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. James, especially do we thank you. And Brittany and Rees for helping us iron out a check out problem.
We will see you again !!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My wife and I are on the last day of a four-night stay at this great hotel, and we had a wonderful time here. The building itself is simply beautiful: an old architectural gem (on a national historic registry, I believe) with some modern additions that compliment rather than clash with the decor. Our "room" was in fact more like an apartment: two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a living room. The beds are extremely comfortable, and service has been exceptional at all levels. We haven't eaten at Livingston's restaurant, right off the lobby, but we did pick up some croissants at Cafe Mims, also right off the lobby, and while they fell short of the kind you would get in France, they were still pretty tasty (but fairly expensive at $2.75 each). The hotel's location (about a mile up Peachtree from the downtown) can be a negative for people who don't like to take a 25-minute walk (or take a convenient subway ride) to get to some of the major attractions, but is also a positive in that it is within easy walking distance of two top-notch and reasonably priced restaurants, Mary Mac's and Papi's, both of which I have separately reviewed. The kitchen, unfortunately, does not come with plates or cutlery, and there is a substantial charge (somewhere around 25 bucks) if you want to order a full set of those, though given the unfailing courtesy of the staff I'm sure I could probably get one or two plates for no charge. There is also a fairly stiff parking fee (also about 25 dollars a day) but as we were without a car on this trip, that was not an issue. The rooms have free wifi for your laptops, and there are also a couple of computers with free internet access in the business center. All told, if you don't mind not being right on top of places like the Georgia Aquarium, Underground Atlanta (overrated, in my opinion) and the Coca-Cola museum, this is a place you should definitely look into. I will unhesitatingly stay here on future trips to Atlanta.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business