“Needs a makeover”

Ranked #27 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Los Angeles, CA
“Needs a makeover”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This place needs a makeover. It has a lot going for it, like location, history, a great gym, easy and quick self parking, and really pleasant staff. Tips: ask for a renovated room. They are smaller but nicer. I was there for a long term stay; my room was a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen. Everything needed updating: the musty furniture, the bathtub wan't usable, the bathroom fan squealed like a witch when in use, all of the windows are sealed shut, so cooking and fresh air are out of the question. The curtains didn't close all of the way. Some of the blinds were missing, making sleep difficult. The carpet was crispy. There are no movies on demand, let alone HD TV. Nice bartenders downstairs at the Livingston, the restaurant, but ho-hum food. Stood in line a few times at Mims for a Starbucks, but I didn't want to wait 15 minutes for a latte so I left both times without getting a coffee. I will not be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank eeleeleel
J Mark W, General Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear eeleeleel,

First of all, I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us. We know you have many choices when traveling, and we genuinely appreciate your patronage. After reading your comments, I am sorry that our hotel did not live up to your expectations - but I did want to address your comments and observations. In reference to your comments about a make-over, we are about to begin a renovation of the remaining rooms to bring our facilites up to the standards you would expect from a hotel such as ours. We have also launched a new lunch and dinner menu in our restaurant which I am sure will please everyone.

Again, I am sorry that our facilites did not meet your expectations, but I am sure if you give us another try, we can exceed them!!

Warmest regards,

404-898-8326

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Culver City, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I have mixed feelings about this place. It's old and in need of some TLC, that's for sure. This was a work trip and I booked whatever room the corporate travel site had available. I ended up in a 2-bedroom unit with a full kitchen, one bathroom with a combo tub/shower, a small bedroom with no closet and a 'master' bedroom with a giant walk-in closet that also contained a washer and dryer.

Beds are raised to the point where my 5'3" frame couldn't sit on the edge of the bed. I literally had to hop into bed each night. Not a fan. There were several light switches I was never able to figure out what they controlled, and I had to move the clock to the window so I could see it.

The refrigerator wouldn't stop running, so everything I put into it froze. The kitchen has no supplies (no pots/pans/cups/dishes/flatware). The thermostat had broken levers, so you couldn't really tell what the settings were. Also unfortunate is the choice of mini-blinds on all the windows with no drapes .. not even sheers .. to pull across. It's surprising how annoying the inability to control light can be.

In room literature stated that Cafe Mims (downstairs) was open until 8pm, but when I went down to grab a quick bite I found out they close at 4pm. When I asked a staffer for a recommendation for a sandwich shop, he didn't seem to understand what I was asking and referred me to the on-site restaurant. I ended up using Yelp to find a Quiznos a block away.

I also asked where the closest place was to buy some soda/snacks, and I was given really vague directions to a CVS that was (allegedly) just a few blocks away. I got about 2-blocks away when I spotted a food mart / gas station and just popped in there.

I don't love the location. I'll be honest, I'm not going to go for any evening walks as I have in Buckhead or even around the Marriott Suites on 14th. On the up-side .. self parking is a breeze.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lindazilla
GeorgianTerraceRep, Guest Relations Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and suggestions with our team here at the Georgian Terrace. Because we are a historic property, we rely heavily on guests like you to help us determine the improvements we'll be making to the property during renovation periods. We have undergone a few so far, and will continue with improvements in various spaces in the future. That said, we are definitely always working to better the amenities and cultivate a more positive experience for our visitors. The suggested adjustments have been noted and added to our renovations.
We hope that you'll be willing to come back for another visit, and see that your recommendations have been applied! Thank you again; we would love to see you for a return trip.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Our stay at the Georgian Terrace Hotel was great. The staff is OUTSTANDING! The hotel was overbooked and our room was not available. They gave us an upgraded room, from a single queen, to a suite at no extra charge. The staff is incredibly helpful and always ready to serve. They made my wife's and I vacation great. We even extended our stay an extra day. The rooms are clean and roomy. Their staff are the best! Whenever we are staying in Atlanta it will be at the Georgian Terrace.

1 Thank Jamie M
Thank you so much for the kind words you have for our staff. We are very proud of the men and women who strive to make the Georgian Terrace a great experience for our guests. We can confidently say we have some of the best trained employees in the industry. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your return.
LOGANVILLE
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I love hotels with history, the Georgian Terrace has been a fixture in Atlanta since 1911 and the grand ballroom hosted the world premier reception for Gone With the Wind. It's a stately, classy hotel and the service is great.

Directly across the street from the Fabulous Fox Theater makes it a great place to stay when you want to catch a good show.

Don't miss having dinner or breakfast in the gorgeous Livingston Restaurant. It has a beautiful chandelier, marble columns, and a great terrace for those who like to bask in the sun while they eat.

1 Thank CHARLES C
Thank you for your kind words. We are honored to have you as our guest and glad that you enjoyed the uniqueness and historical richness of our property. It is the goal of our professional and friendly staff to ensure that you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. We look forward to your next visit
Rio Rico, Arizona
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at the Georgian Terrace twice while in Atlanta on either end of a wedding in North Carolina. What strikes you first is how beautiful this historic building is. Second, they make you feel very welcome and apprciated. Both stays, the room was very clean and comfortable. Room service is reasonably priced for a deluxe hotel and the quality of the food was absolutely excellent. They add a 22%tip and then add another line on the bill for an additional tip which the server then tried to guilt me into adding which I was not too happy about, but I already mentioned this to the hotel in their exit survey. Parking is expensive at $25 per night, but very convenient, covered, and with unlimited in/out priveleges and right next to hotel. Location is wonderful as you can walk to many restaurants and Piedmont Park is about a 15 minute walk. There is a rooftop view deck with a large swimming pool we enjoyed that very much. Highly recommend this place if you want to be in midtown Atlanta.

Room Tip: Ask if they have their special for a one bedroom suite. We got one for only $143 per night and it w...
1 Thank easterbread
We really appreciate your nice review of the Georgian Terrace! Your thorough compliments and detailed comments on the condition of the property give other readers a great visual for imagining what a stay would be like here. I apologize that you found our parking rates high but they are comparable to other hotels in the area. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back next time you travel to Atlanta, and thank you again for the kind words.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My recent stay was for a quick one night business trip-- and I definitely plan on returning to enjoy this property even more!!

The team at the Georgian Terrace are some of the friendliest and most welcoming people I have encountered! From the time I arrived I was blanketed with true southern hospitality - please pass on my thanks to the team who made me feel at home during my stay. Lorne checked us in at the front desk and was so nice--everyone at the bellstand, Nate and Stefan at P&P, the MIMS Baristas, our server in Livingstons.. all were outstanding! I wish I could remember all their names --

The guest rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. There are so many different types of rooms it is easy to select one that will be the best layout for your stay whether you are traveling on business, traveling with family or there for a wedding and utilize the gorgeous bridal suite!

The rooftop pool is a nice touch-- although I was there in the middle of a summer thunderstorm and didn't get to use it, I definitely went up there for a photo-op.

I am still craving the delicious caramelized onion, mushroom and swiss omelet in Livingstons -- highly recommend it!

Stay at the Georgian Terrace-- you will love it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MrsFallis
J Mark W, General Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear MrsFallis,

Thank you so very much for choosing to stay with us here at The Georgian Terrace Hotel - we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We strive to make every guest experience memorable and special, and from your comments, it looks as though we did!! I will be sure to share your comments with our entire staff. Feedback - both positive and constructive - is crucial to our never ending drive for perfection.

Again - thank you for the kind words, and thank you for staying with us. We do hope that you choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Atlanta.

Warmest regards,

Fitzgerald, Georgia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Daughters Wedding Event occurred at the Ga Terrace. The event was moved along well. The accomodations for bridesmaid activities were wonderful. Rooms for all the quests were nice and roomy. All family and relatives felt they were treated well . The only complaint is the food for the sit down wedding reception . The food was a little overcooked--My vegetable carrots were burnt and un edible. Overall a Great venue for anyone

Room Tip: Rooms very nice
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Judy H,

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for choosing The Georgian Terrace Hotel for your daughter's wedding - we are very happy that the events and activities were enjoyed by all!! We strive to make every guest experience - particularly one of the most important days in anyone's life - special and memorable. I did see that you stated your meal at the event did not meet with your expectations - and I sincerely apologize for that. I am hoping that you can offer some more specifics that I can share with our culinary team to ensure they address those issues to prevent them from happening again - because we strive for perfection.

Again - thank you so much for the opportunity to host your daughter's very special day, and we do hope that you will recommend, as well as visit us the next time you are in Atlanta.