“Very Poor Service in all Areas - Inattentive, Insincere, Inefficient Staff”

The Georgian Terrace Hotel
Ranked #20 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 14 February 2010

This was my first & last stay at the GT. I will choose from the abundance of other hotel options in Midtown Atlanta on all future visits. We stayed 3-nts and attended a show at Fox. View of Fox & Ptree St was great. Room was "fine" but really nothing special at all. Historical significance and location of hotel are by far the major pluses. Hotel should be & could be great, but it is not simply because of very poor mgt and staff. Every encounter (from valet, bellman, concierge, front desk, room svc, & housekeeping) left plenty to be desired. Staff were grossly inattentive but had lots of attitude. Staff treat guests like inconveniences (like can't you just go away and not interrupt me....can't you see I'm busy). The hotel seems to focus on "getting paid" (either directly or indirectly through misleading scenarious) versus "providing service". $28/day valet fee is outrageous (I was told it was included w/ room....not so). They told me my sister could use valet for dinner with me at the hotel, and they would validate her ticket (didn't tell me it was just for 3 hrs so they hit her with a $16 parking fee after dinner). Many things seemed to have a catch here. Every service is really slow (if you get it at all). One example is that I needed assistance with check out due to 3.5 year old. I called bell captain to assist, no answer, auto transferred to concierge desk only to leave a vm, no returned call, no one showed up to help. I had to get everything down on my own (toys and all) just to have the staff holding their hands out waiting for tips. OMG!. Front desk said they were short staffed due to the weather; however, it seemed to me that there were more employees present in the lobby than any of my previous 3 days at the hotel. I asked them to expain the same level of (non) service during my entire stay (when they didn't have a "weather" excuse). They didn't have an answer for this and just stated the standard "I'm sorry". They made no inquiry about what may have been wrong with my stay (they could have cared less....it was obvious). Room service takes forever. Then, they forget to bring everything. Of course, there is no apology or concession by the hotel for the errors. It is just fine with them that your family doesn't get to eat at the same time. After all, they had already charged me the mandatory 22% gratuity and $3 delivery fee. I have no problem paying more for service when you actaully get something for it, but you don't get that at the GT. Everything is over rated and over (confusingly) priced. GT website flaunts impressive claims like "delivers a brand of hospitality rarely found, even in the south....often hear the words genuine and personal to describe our service.....we’ll cater to your needs". In my reality, this was probably the single worst hotel service situation that I have ever experienced. The website fooled me once but won't fool me again!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
GeorgianTerraceRep, Director of Guest Services at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2010

I would like to apologise for the annoyance you experinced during your stay. We highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. Valentines weekend was extremely challenging for the hotel due to the storm. Management did a thorough review of the weekend and have put measures in place to ensure that such service failures do not reoccur. We certainly hope that your memories of the hotel will improve on your next visit.

Reviewed 10 February 2010

The photos looked fabulous but the only place that looked like the photos is the The Lobby and that is where it stopped. The rooms are tired and dirty. There isn't even a fork or spoon in the kitchen so it is pointless. One of our colleagues had a BUG BITING problem left undetermined and unresolved. They actually lied to us initially and told us they had a service come out and check the bugs and there was nothing there. They backtracked us and moved our rooms when we went back and got more gigantic red bites. The restaurant service was so slow it took us over an hour to get eggs. I would NEVER stay there again!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Kristen D
Reviewed 9 February 2010

The hotel is in a great location & has some real character. The lobby is cool and the restaurant is nicely done. However, this quality does not carry through the rest of the hotel. It has the potential to be a very nice hotel, but it just does not pay attention to the details that matter. A few examples:
* Nice sitting/reading area in standard room -- no light in the room!
* Nice workout area & nice equipment -- but equipment is not maintained, belt slipping on Precor treadmill, one treadmill did not work; many of the "nautilus" machines did not have the pins to choose the amount of weight
* Room decor - no character, cheap finish; no room-darkening curtains (cannot remember last time I stayed in a hotel of any price without these); paint peeling in bathroom ceiling; shower head was loose & spraying water
* Parking - $22 overnight parking is to be expected in this area, but parking garage is cash-only. If you want to charge it to your room, they'll give you $22 cash at the front desk to pay to exit parking deck.

These are all little things, but there are so many, it just keeps this hotel from providing a very satisfactory stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen S
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Stayed for three nights in January 2010. Got a two-BR suite with a single bathroom and a kitchen. Roomy and comfortable, but that's about all of the good points. They recently redecorated the lobby, but apparently haven't renovated much else (yet?). Numerous minor problems:
- Not enough towels, toilet paper, or soap for 4 people in a suite. Had to call for more (which they brought).
- The kitchen was completely unfurnished. Not even a fork or plate. What's the point of a kitchen with no utensils or cookware?
- The rooms, as well as other parts of the hotel, were in poor state of repair. The blinds in our room wouldn't stay up (string-catch mechanism was broken).
- In the "grand ballroom" there was a door to the balcony that was literally rotting at the bottom, showing a hole.
- The striker plate for the deadbolt in the main door to the room was falling off the door frame. One good kick and anyone could have entered the room. On second look, the wood in the door frame itself was so old and decayed, it's no surprise the lock didn't work well.
- For a 2-room suite, we had barely enough hot water for two kids to take their baths. The parents had to wait till the next morning. I called Maintenance to find out if the hotel had a problem. It turned out we have our own (small) water heater inside the unit -- I only got a quick glance but it looked to be about half - or less - the size of ours at home. Not enough for a 2-room (4-person) suite.
- Expensive parking. (Why do hotels need to gouge you for parking when you're already paying for a room?)

- Very nice proximity to a couple of (stage) theaters.
- A few blocks' walk to a handful of restaurants.
- Short car ride to Coca-Cola, Aquarium, Olympic park, etc. Too far to walk.

The staff were all very polite and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank knwpsk
GeorgianTerraceRep, Director of Guest Services at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2010

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why the hotel did not meet your expectations. I would like to take this opportunity to address a few of your concerns. The portion of the hotel you stayed in was originally built in 1911 and is scheduled to be renovated in the near future. The parking fees are unfortunatley comparable to those of other hotels in the area and a kitchen pack is available upon request to all our guests. It is our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 January 2010

I stayed here for 1 night with a friend in November 2009. I have nothing for wonderful things to say about this lovely historic hotel. Walk about the lobby and you will just ooh and ahh at its history and glitz. I'm a huge Gone with the Wind fan, so this hotel was a goldmine!

I booked 1 month in advance for a total of $160 + valet. My room was HUGE! It included a full kitchen (but no pots and pans, silverware, or glasses), a 'dressing room' with large closet, and a spacious bathroom. Apparently this hotel was an apartment are in the 70s so it appears my room was one of those 'apartment' rooms. The beds were wonderfully comfy with duvets and plush pillows.

The lobby was spotless and checkin and checkout was very quick and smooth. I also asked for recs for dinner and was provided many options. Though in the end we just walked down the street and found a fun restaurant. We were accosted by a homeless man asking for money but we apologized (we weren't carrying cash or food) and walked away.

The ONLY complaint I have is YES the hotel rooms need a little TLC. Specifically the wallpaper, kitchen, and baths. Maybe even the rug. All those appeared tired but then again, you get what you pay for. To me, the history of this hotel overrules and I thorougly enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business

Thank you for the positive feedback. Every effort is made to ensure that all guests get a wonderful and memorable experience at the georgian terrace. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 2 January 2010

I booked this hotel as an Anniversary/Christmas gift for my boyfriend because of the band playing at the Fox Theatre. The location of this hotel is perfect and when you walk in the doors it looks beautiful and elegant. This is where most of the positive ended.

We waited in line for an hour just to check in. The front desk staff's customer service is okay, not rude but not helpful. When we got to the room, we were shocked, the lobby is georgous but the rooms look like you're staying in a different hotel. The room smelled of smoke, even worse when the shower was turned on. Upon calling the front desk about the smoke smell, the only option was to have someone come spray the room, suggesting moving rooms was never offered. I had requested a city view since this was a special night and the view was a stone wall. Huge disappointment. Room Service also ends at 11pm. And lastly, when checking out the valet would not allow guests to wait for their cars to warm up for a minute before getting in (it was below 30 degrees).

Some positive things was there there was a very friendly housekeeping staff and the head bellman was very friendly and funny. Overall, I will not book this hotel again despite the location.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
GeorgianTerraceRep, Diector of Guest Services at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2010

Thank you for your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during check in. The delay for check in on that day was a result of the late check out by the guests who had stayed over to celebrate New Years. Be assured that under normal circumstances, an average check in is about 3 minutes. Also due to our capacity at that time we were unable to relocate you to a diffrent room and honour your request for a city view. Should you grant our request for a second stay with us, I am confident that you will not be disappointed as we will meet your expectations.

Reviewed 20 December 2009

You can't beat this hotel for price and location. It was great walking out of the restaurant straight across the street into the Fox Theatre. The restaurant was fabulous, besides typical food, they also had game on the menu. We had rabbit and pheasant and both were delicious. The rooms are huge. A one bedroom has a kitchen (although no utensils are provided), living room, office, and laundry . The property is dated. The furniture was stained, the appliances old. However, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
GeorgianTerraceRep, Director of Guest Services at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2009

Thank you. We look forward to your return.