“Terrible Experience; Would never stay here again!”

The Georgian Terrace Hotel
Ranked #25 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Jacksonville, FL
“Terrible Experience; Would never stay here again!”
Reviewed 7 June 2007

I was attracted to the Georgian Terrace because I prefer to stay in historic hotels in urban areas. However, I was soon disappointed. Upon my arrival, I was greeted at the front of the hotel by a chaotic scene featuring two African immigrants (totally untrained hotel employees) who got into an argument about where I was to park my vehicle to check in. Not a exactly good greeting or start. Once inside, I had to wait for 15 minutes to reach the front desk to check in.

Upon reaching the front desk, I learned that the non-smoking suite I had paid for on expedia was actually not available and I had to have a smoking suite or a non-smoking king. I chose the non-smoking king, although it had been cheaper on expedia and the front desk claimed they could not adjust downward the rate. On top of this, I was given a little attitude by the front desk staffer and made to wait another 15 minutes while they cleaned my room.

Because I was now late to a meeting, I grabbed my loaded dolly and proceeded to the elevator only to be "greeted"by a surly bellboy who demanded that I give him the cart in what was clearly an attempt to shake me down for a tip for what was very poor service. I finally relented and left for my room.

Upon entering the room, it became clear that the hotel rooms had not been updated at all since the 1980s when this building was used for apartments. My king room was actually a former studio apartment complete with a very dated kitchen and a washer/dryer! The sheets were stained, the walls and carpet were worn and the bathroom was reminiscent of a holiday inn. I decided to shake this off and got dressed and left.

Later than evening, after dinner, my wife and I had purchased a bottle of wine and we sat on the terrace facing Peachtree after the hotel bar had closed and leisurely drank the wine. Soon after, we were inundated with bums who frequent the midtown area and scurry about like cockroaches. They even began threatening us when we refused to give them money. Of course, there were no hotel staff or security of any kind around the terrace at this hour at least. We eventually went inside and vowed never to stay here again.

The bottom line with this hotel is it has tremendous potential but it needs to be under a new ownership who cares about restoring it to its original grandeur, who actually has some experience in successful hotel management and who will basically fire everyone and start over. I will NEVER stay here again until that happens.

• Liked — Good location and the historic features of the hotel
  • Disliked — Everything else
6 Thank RiversideGator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
Asheboro, NC
Reviewed 3 June 2007

My daughter and I stayed at the Georgian Terrace for 2 nights. The hotel itself is lovely, our room was large and clean and the bed was very comfortable. I cannot say enough about the location as it is truly convient to everything in midtown Atlanta. We drove to Lennox Square Mall (15 mins), drove to the High Museum (5 mins...we could have easily walked) and walked (10 mins) to a fabulous Greek restaurant "Avra". It is also a 10 minute walk to 2 MARTA stations, which we utilized to get to the Braves game we attended. However, as noted in other reviews, the front desk staff were not interested in being helpful at all...even telling us to "go over there and wait for the concierge" to come when asking for simple directions (they were not busy either). The hotel has a great terrace just across from the historic Fox Theatre and it is perfect for people watching in the evenings while having a cocktail. Altho the bar staff was friendly and attentive, they stop waiting on the terrace at 10pm and you have to go upstairs to the bar to get your own drinks...even on a friday night. On a happy note, the valet attendants are spectacular in every way! All in all, a good stay...would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Unhelpful front desk
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank NC-Scuabgirl
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 May 2007

Had a great stay at this hotel. Had a full kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom. Wonderful beds!!! The pool on the rooftop has some amazing views of Atlanta. Beautiful old building.

• Liked — Large Room for great price
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jmsharpe
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 21 May 2007

Stayed May 16-20, 2007. Classic early 20th century grand dame hotel well located between downtown & Buckhead on Peachstree. We walked to High Museum & to Georgia Aquarium [20 mins each], but you can take a $10 taxi ride. Staff are extremely friendly & attentive. Knowledgeable concierge service available morning, afternoon, & evening weekdays & weekend with good, accurate recommendations for restaurants. They also have a book with current menus for most of them. Large rooms w/ large amt of closet space, w/ full kitchen, washer & dryer. BUT, no dishes, flatware, etc in kitchen. Drawers & cabinets are empty. Computer without printer is available downstairs, BUT it is unbelievably & frustratingly slow. There is wireless available in lobby. I didn't bring laptop this trip so I can't comment on its utility. There is a fully equipped exercise room that I used and an outdoor pool on the roof.

Stayed May 2007
South Carolina
Reviewed 18 May 2007

We were only going to be in Atlanta for one night, so, what the heck, we'd splurge and try something new. The description of the Georgian Terrace led us to believe that we would be staying in an historic building that had been appropriately upgraded, in the heart of downtown Atlanta, directly across from the renovated Fox Theater. The online directions to the hotel were only a little off, and we found the place with no problem. Check-in was courteous and quick and the valet parking staff was pleasant. We found our room to be spacious and fairly clean, if a little worn and stained. The first indication that all might not be smooth sailing was the curtains which looked out onto Peachtree Street and the Fox Theater. They would not, could not, ever, close. To shut out the light, we had to pin them together. Moreover, even with this window locked, and the draperies pulled, the noise, from the floors below, from the lobby, from the street, was incredible. There was not one minute during the long night when we didn't imagine that we were housed in the middle of an enormous party. It was terrible. Moreover, the bedding, which clean, was spare, the mattress saggy and the pillows almost non-existent. By the time we were heading downstairs for breakfast, we had given up all expectation of excellence, and we were not disappointed. The buffet selections were picked-over and dried out. We checked out vowing to never make this mistake again.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank nstuckcol
London
Reviewed 26 April 2007

We stayed at the Georgian Terrace for two nights in the middle of april. Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised at the grandeur of the lobby and then the size of our room although the decor could have
been more up to date. The door staff couldn't have been more pleasant
and helpful. Unfortunately the toilet in our room was blocked, we called reception and were assured someone would be right up and no-one ever came. My family had to resort to using the bathrooms in the gym or lobby as after repeated calls, visits to the front desk and talks with the manager nothing was ever done. 1hour before we checked
out a maintainance guy came up and removed the toothbrush that someone else had got lodged down the pipes. All I can say is it's a shame that the administration staff are so utterly inneffectual as otherwise this would be a really nice place to stay.

• Liked — size of rooms
  • Disliked — ineptness of staff
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank sunprism
atlanta
Reviewed 17 April 2007

Had an AWFUL stay at the Georgian Terrace.

-The reception staff was rude and totally unwilling to help. I stood at the front desk for a good 5 minutes before the woman (who was not helping another guest) finally accknowledged my presence
-Room was very shabby with peeling wallpaper and stains on the comforters.
-The air condidtioning was not working and the bathroom was in terrible shape.
-Had to ask numerous times for things like towels and pillows
-Parking was $25/day- astronomical for Atlanta!
-Management was completely unresponsive to complaints

Do yourself a favor and stay at Hotel Indigo right down the street. This place is HIGHLY overrated!!!

• Stayed April 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sdatlanta35