“A Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #26 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
New York City, New York
“A Fantastic hotel”
Reviewed 7 July 2007

After reading the reviews on this site I really was regretting my decision to book my 3 night stay at the Georgian Terrace. I even considered making alternative arrangements because of the terrible reviews it received.

I am so glad I didn't cancel my reservation because this really was a wonderful hotel, and I simply cannot understand why it is the subject of so much negative press on this site.

First of all, check-in was a breeze. The staff were VERY friendly and helpful. When I got to my room, it was HUGE and very clean. I had a suite which is bigger than my 1 bedroom in NYC. The furniture may be a tiny bit outdated, but it certainly wasn't worn or in need of any repair. My only comment was that the suite looked a little bare simply because it is so big and perhaps needed a little more furniture just to make it seem more homely.

The kitchen was large, and not a style I would choose for my apartment, but certainly very in keeping with the hotel and overall feel of the place. There was a stove, sink, very large fridge, and plenty of storage space. I was very confused as to why basic utensils are not included with the kitchen, but it really wasn't a big deal given that I ate out every night.

The bathroom was large, very plush, and the shower and bath worked perfectly. The hot water was plentiful, and the water pressure was excellent.

The bedroom had two huge closets (though a few more hangers would have been useful) and the bed was exceptionally comfortable.

The gym and roof-top pool were wonderful additions, especially as they were both free to use. Also free, was high-speed internet, which I know many other hotels charge for.

The restaurant and bar staff, and the concierge were all extremely helpful, and very accommodating.

So, all in all I really was delighted with my stay at The Georgian Terrace hotel. I am not sure what happened to the high number of people who wrote very negative reviews, but my experience could not have been in greater contrast.

A beautiful hotel in a great location, with friendly staff and wonderful accommodations. What more could you ask for?

Oh, and the rates were amazing.

• Liked — The accommodations were very large
  • Disliked — No cooking utensils for the kitchen and a lack of hangers
7 Thank uk2nyc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2007

This was my 2nd stay at the Georgian Terrace. I had no problems checking in. My room on the 10th floor was a suite with a small kitchen and was very nice. Maid service is good too. The bell and valet staff were very nice and professional. The rooftop pool is a salt water pool and the views are great from up there. The valet parking was $25 but it was very quick to get my car. Usually less than 5 minutes since the garage is right next to the hotel. I don't understand all the bad reviews because I would recommend this hotel due to price and location.

The location is the best part. The Fox Theater and Churchill Grounds Jazz Club are right across the street. There is also a small plate bar called Bazaaar across the street. At night, it is a dance club that is open till 3 AM.

The only downside is after 10 PM, there are a lot of homeless guys in the area and they will bother you for money. I was sitting outside on the hotel porch enjoying the evening watching the traffic on Peachtree St. Usually you can ignore them but a few tried to sit down and tell stories of hard luck. I would just get up and go into the lobby until they left. It was not a big deal though.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Homeless people roam up and down Peachtree. Especially late at night.
5 Thank porcupine150
Montreal
Reviewed 20 June 2007

Judging from the reviews from other travelers, I was very concern about staying at Georgian Terrace Hotel. It seems like it's either hit or miss. Luckyly, my stay at the hotel was very pleasant!! I decided to stay here cause the price seem really reasonable comparing with other hotels.

I highly recommend the one bedroom suit. It comes with a full Kitchen, Two TVs (not that I needed two, but it's a nice touch), a nice big bed and a clean bathroom.

It was very clean, better than I expected. Very quiet too. The hall way lighting is a bit dark, but once you get inside the room, it's all good.

The hotel itself is very very spacious. Almost too spacious and not enough of people around. I love the architecture and the way the hotel is set up. Very old Hollywood glam, you can almost imagine this hotel is a hot spot back in the 50's and 60's.

The room service was quick and the staff was really nice and friendly. The only down side is that it costs 1 dollar to make a local call. Isn't local calls usually free?

anyway, overall it was a great experience. Would definitely stay here again if I ever go back to Atlanta.

• Liked — Location and hotel style
  • Disliked — Seems a bit empty
3 Thank designdrew
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 7 June 2007

I was attracted to the Georgian Terrace because I prefer to stay in historic hotels in urban areas. However, I was soon disappointed. Upon my arrival, I was greeted at the front of the hotel by a chaotic scene featuring two African immigrants (totally untrained hotel employees) who got into an argument about where I was to park my vehicle to check in. Not a exactly good greeting or start. Once inside, I had to wait for 15 minutes to reach the front desk to check in.

Upon reaching the front desk, I learned that the non-smoking suite I had paid for on expedia was actually not available and I had to have a smoking suite or a non-smoking king. I chose the non-smoking king, although it had been cheaper on expedia and the front desk claimed they could not adjust downward the rate. On top of this, I was given a little attitude by the front desk staffer and made to wait another 15 minutes while they cleaned my room.

Because I was now late to a meeting, I grabbed my loaded dolly and proceeded to the elevator only to be "greeted"by a surly bellboy who demanded that I give him the cart in what was clearly an attempt to shake me down for a tip for what was very poor service. I finally relented and left for my room.

Upon entering the room, it became clear that the hotel rooms had not been updated at all since the 1980s when this building was used for apartments. My king room was actually a former studio apartment complete with a very dated kitchen and a washer/dryer! The sheets were stained, the walls and carpet were worn and the bathroom was reminiscent of a holiday inn. I decided to shake this off and got dressed and left.

Later than evening, after dinner, my wife and I had purchased a bottle of wine and we sat on the terrace facing Peachtree after the hotel bar had closed and leisurely drank the wine. Soon after, we were inundated with bums who frequent the midtown area and scurry about like cockroaches. They even began threatening us when we refused to give them money. Of course, there were no hotel staff or security of any kind around the terrace at this hour at least. We eventually went inside and vowed never to stay here again.

The bottom line with this hotel is it has tremendous potential but it needs to be under a new ownership who cares about restoring it to its original grandeur, who actually has some experience in successful hotel management and who will basically fire everyone and start over. I will NEVER stay here again until that happens.

• Liked — Good location and the historic features of the hotel
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RiversideGator
Asheboro, NC
Reviewed 3 June 2007

My daughter and I stayed at the Georgian Terrace for 2 nights. The hotel itself is lovely, our room was large and clean and the bed was very comfortable. I cannot say enough about the location as it is truly convient to everything in midtown Atlanta. We drove to Lennox Square Mall (15 mins), drove to the High Museum (5 mins...we could have easily walked) and walked (10 mins) to a fabulous Greek restaurant "Avra". It is also a 10 minute walk to 2 MARTA stations, which we utilized to get to the Braves game we attended. However, as noted in other reviews, the front desk staff were not interested in being helpful at all...even telling us to "go over there and wait for the concierge" to come when asking for simple directions (they were not busy either). The hotel has a great terrace just across from the historic Fox Theatre and it is perfect for people watching in the evenings while having a cocktail. Altho the bar staff was friendly and attentive, they stop waiting on the terrace at 10pm and you have to go upstairs to the bar to get your own drinks...even on a friday night. On a happy note, the valet attendants are spectacular in every way! All in all, a good stay...would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Unhelpful front desk
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank NC-Scuabgirl
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 May 2007

Had a great stay at this hotel. Had a full kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom. Wonderful beds!!! The pool on the rooftop has some amazing views of Atlanta. Beautiful old building.

• Liked — Large Room for great price
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jmsharpe
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 21 May 2007

Stayed May 16-20, 2007. Classic early 20th century grand dame hotel well located between downtown & Buckhead on Peachstree. We walked to High Museum & to Georgia Aquarium [20 mins each], but you can take a $10 taxi ride. Staff are extremely friendly & attentive. Knowledgeable concierge service available morning, afternoon, & evening weekdays & weekend with good, accurate recommendations for restaurants. They also have a book with current menus for most of them. Large rooms w/ large amt of closet space, w/ full kitchen, washer & dryer. BUT, no dishes, flatware, etc in kitchen. Drawers & cabinets are empty. Computer without printer is available downstairs, BUT it is unbelievably & frustratingly slow. There is wireless available in lobby. I didn't bring laptop this trip so I can't comment on its utility. There is a fully equipped exercise room that I used and an outdoor pool on the roof.

Stayed May 2007