“not as good as other Marriott hotels”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #124 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Toronto, Canada
“not as good as other Marriott hotels”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

When I showed up, the door men were there to help out-thank you! They were great, friendly, and always had a nice smile and were happy to chat a bit. The lobby is small for a Marriott but nice enough. Staff were friendly and helpful at the front desk, restaurant and cleaning staff. My room however had a stale yeasty smell that was very noticeable when you entered but once in the room for a few min, it was OK. Considering my room was over $200/night, I can't say the hotel was a good value as the room was in need of a face lift too. The walls in the bathroom were likely fixed hastily and the job was poorly done, poor plaster job near door frame that makes you wonder if the plasterer was drinking and the painter didn't care but just painted whatever he was supposed to do.. 10 min walk to convention center. If you are a light sleeper, give this a pass. I could hear the person next door cough in the night, you could hear people talking in the halls, and door slams.Tip, breakfast; go to the Westin for a Starbucks (2 min walk). Of the 50 or so hotels I have stayed at, this is one of the 3-4 that I would not come back to unless the price was a massive discount, even then I'm not sure.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
For taking the time to write a review, I would like to say thank you. We truly have been blessed with a great staffing team that goes out of their way to welcome all of our guest. The hotel will be having improvements project this next year that will give the rooms that updated look you are looking for. We hope you will be a guest this next year for we would love you to see the changes.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Mark Gallagher, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel through hotwire and got an excellent deal... But the $29 valet kills it... Thats one of the highest in the neighborhood...Luckily I stumbled across a self park lot $5/day behind the hotel that They dont like you about. Service was friendly, however, and the room was very clean. The rooms actually Look like the photos. No complaints at all really... It will meet your expectations

• Stayed December 2012
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our hotel does offer valet parking that is secured under our hotel for $28 per day, with the ability to come and go at no extra charge verse the surrounding parking lots; though a rate ($28/day) competitive with the surrounding hotels offering the same service. We appreciated the compliments about our staff, and hope you will be visiting again soon.

Happy Holidays!

Baie-St-Paul, Canada
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Correct hotel but a little below Marriott usual quality. Parts of the hotel would need renovations. Staff is very nice and helpful. Restaurant and bar lacks any ambiance. Nice to sleep in, but that's it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback and the compliments about our staff. We are happy to say there will be improvements made in the room presentation this next year (2013), giving the rooms that fresh new feel. We hope to have the opportunity to have you back to see such improvements, if there is any assistance you need in making these accommodations please feel free to give us a call. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

North Carolina
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I have stayed here for about 10 days January for the past 4 years. The hotel is smaller than many of its neighbors, but the staff goes out of their way to make the guests feel comfortable. The first year that I stayed widespread panic (the band) was plying a Phillips arena and the hotel was filled with drugged up fans of teh band. The hotel wound up being loud and it was difficult to sleep while the fans were going wild. However the hotel staff tried to keep the hotel calm and when I complained about teh noise they discounted my bill. When I returned the next year they upgraded my room to a junior suite and again gave me great service. The consierge lounge is nice here also. For the past 3 years I have gotten a great nights sleep each night that I have been there. The biggest complaint that I have is the parking cost. It is actually more economic for me to fly and not park a car thatn to park my car for 10 days at a cost of more than $25 a day. The service and food at the restaurant and room service have always been good.

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms seem to be better though I really haven't looked through all the rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Your feedback is greatly appreciated, we always enjoy hearing about how are staff continue to accommodate our guest even under extreme circumstances. Being so close to many of the local venues we do get guest attending concerts, like the rest of the surrounding hotels though majority of our guest are business travelers. In comparison to other hotels, our size is our advantage as we can offer a personalized experience that you yourself has experienced. If you need anything when returning to Atlanta, please feel free to contacts us to make any accommodations.

Best Regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in late October. Check in was quick and easy and the bell desk brought the bags up to the room quickly.

The room was large, modern and clean. The bathrooms were clean and spacious

Easy access to many places in downtown Atlanta.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 30 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are glad to hear feedback and know your stay was enjoyable. The level of customer service offered at our hotel has constantly been the forefront of our hotels comments while complimenting our great location in the heart of downtown. If you missed any of the sites while you were in Atlanta we would love to have you back anytime.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 23 November 2012

My travels are usually to the hinterlands and this is my first stay at a downtown hotel in a major city. I stayed here for a week [Sun-Sat] on business. I got off to a rocky start due to all the Dallas fans at the hotel and the noise they created in the corridors. The hotel is noisy. It is located across the street from APD HQ, so you'll hear a lot of sirens. I also returned to my room Monday night around 11.00 pm and found it had not been made up. I complained at the desk the next morning and the desk person comped me for the whole week with free high-speed internet [$13.00/day] for the rest of my stay. The manager also stopped me in the lobby later in the day to ask about my experience. I told him about my room not being made up and how the receptionist had made it right. I also saw him later asking other guests how their stay was going. That's worth a couple of stars. Also, the staff I met were all very helpful and friendly. My room did not have a microwave or refrigerator, which would have been nice for the length of time I was there. The MAD is conveniently located in downtown and a lot of restaurants and clubs are in walking distance. The Peachtree MARTA station is only a block away, so if you're planning to see the sites downtown you don't need a car. Parking is $28.00/day. I recommend this hotel if you're staying in downtown Atlanta. Like most of the hotels in the area, it looks like it was converted from an older hotel or some other use.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 29 November 2012
We are pleased to hear our staff were so attentive to the noise level, being downtown with a busy weekend full of events the area is full certainly full of excitement. Taking in consideration for all of our guest we like to make sure everyone enjoys their stay no matter the occasion. Thank you for your feedback, and if you find yourself back in Atlanta, we hope to be your hotel of choice.

roslyn, new york
Reviewed 18 November 2012

The hotel is conveniently located in downtown Atlanta, within walking distance to many sights and the convention center, sports complexes and restaurants. The hotel bellmen and valets were very helpful and friendly. They were available for good suggestions, giving directions and always a friendly smile and greeting. The hotel could use some touchups, but it was a nice and clean room. Check in and check out was easy and it was a very good stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay here at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown. I am pleased to hear our staff was welcoming and tentative in helping you navigate the city. We pride ourselves for the great customer service our hotel has to offer and we hope you will choose to return to our location.

Mark Gallagher