“No positive Stay”

Ranked #127 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Knoxville, Tennessee
“No positive Stay”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The front desk and the valet service was great. The room was lack luster for a downtown hotel. There was mold all around the shower, we had a problem with the A/C it leaked during the night cover the floor in water(the front desk did get this corrected) and no refrigerator in the room. The restaurant was over priced for the quality of foods they were serving, the servers were very slow and showed no caring.

Room Tip: Stay at the Westin next door
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Hotel_Mgmt_Team, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your review. I would like to speak further if you are available. Our menu has been completely redone recently and we are excited to show it our guests. You may reach out to me directly at your convenience.
Operations manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Riverside County, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The hotel was centrally located near tourist activities and dinning establishments. The room was not the quality I expected. The shower smelled like urine and the shower curtain smelled like someone ran out of toilet paper. The staff was very nice and quick to serve.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I do apologize that your experience was a less than positive one. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like to discuss further.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Moderately priced, clean hotel in a great downtown location. Walking distance to Olympic park, CNN, GA State, Peachtree and other downtown locations. Friendly staff, comfortable rooms. Our suite was nice, sofa sleeper not the most comfortable but average. King bed was great and it was all very spacious.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review! We are glad you were able to enjoy all our Downtown location has to offer. We look forward to your return to Atlanta!
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I was at this hotel just a year ago and it is night and day now. Fresh and clean look, rooms are worlds better now and the restaurant had a great menu and solid breakfast. The room was excellent and the staff was courteous, professional and the valet even remembered me from the visit prior. Great hotel, great location, great remodel and great team!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind words! We are looking forward to continue on to the next phase of our renovation. I have passed your comments along to our team! See you next year!
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We came here late in the evening. At first our hotelroom was not the right one. I aksed for two Queens beds and They had me booked for a king. Not so Nice if you are travelling with your mom. I booked also a room with a balcony. The lady at the front desk aksed her night manager and she was great. In no time she gave us a room with 2 Queens unfortunately no balcony but she gave us free valet parking for two days so that was nice. The rooms itself was no so clean and dated. The next day we didn't get new towels. I found that not so correctly. It seems that most employees don't like their work. The guy that helped us with the luggage was real great. Also the breakfast was great and also the people that worked in that spot. The price is overrated. So Some was really good and some bad things. That makes the score average. The location is great. Near CNN, cocacola, hard rock cafe etc.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I have passed your comments along to our department heads. We are looking forward to updating the rooms in the next year. I hope upon your next trip to Atlanta we will have an updated look to show!
jacksonville, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Disappointed in the room its self. No refrigerator, no microwave. Bathroom very run down, the tub/shower was cracking which looked like someone try to scratch their way out of it. No, fresh smell in room, tv could barely hold a signal of any channel. The price you pay to stay downtown should match your room.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. Our building is 50+years old and just completed its public space renovations. We are looking forward to starting our room renovations soon. If you are in the Atlanta area again, please let me know!
Columbus, GA
Reviewed 14 August 2014

There is a reason the Doubletree Downtain is rated 126 out of 188 hotels in Atlanta at the time of this review is because it is bad, not disgustingly terrible, just unnecessarily frustratingly bad. For me the root of the greatest dissatisfaction was the Rooms Manager and how her lack of professionalism detracted from my stay. It negated the pleasantness of the people under her. Read through the review and see that the problem with the hotel is poor management. The hotel does not suffer from a lack of effort from many of the staff. Even the poor conditions of the hotel takes a back seat to the dysfunctional management.

The manager did not have a king room for us or the promised refrigerator, and her excuse that is was “Market” was poor at best. Market (Atlanta Buyers Market) happens twice a year and there is no excuse for not being prepared. I requested a change to a king room as well as a refrigerator as soon as they became available. She said a refrigerator would be right up. Six hours later she says with a straight face that “[she] does not recall that conversation with [me].”

In addition, we found the room to be about $50 less a night on line after we arrived (we were looking to move to another hotel as soon as we checked in and got to the room). Hilton has a guarantee of lowest rates, but this manger told us there is nothing she could do (smart phone pulled up to rates in front of her face). She forced us to book the room on the smart phone in front of her to get the lower rate. As of the last night of four nights, no refrigerator and no change to king, although I had checked on line where it showed kings available the last two nights of our stay. The reason I wanted a change is that the double beds at this hotel are just too uncomfortable for us.

Great location right next to building one of the Atlanta Market. It is right across the street from the downtown Hampton Inn. Parking is valet and one of the most expensive in town at $30 a night. I say drive a couple blocks and park in the lot next too the downtown Hilton for $16 a night and use the money you save for a dinner one night.

For me no greeting as a Diamond member. No cookies on check in. No water. No drink tickets. Just the morning breakfast tickets. In my opinion, breakfast is standard Doubletree fare not the best but very disappointing because of the lack of effort. Best thing about breakfast was some interesting grits. If you are paying for breakfast, nearby fast food or waffle house would be less of a let down. I believe Doubletree has minimum standards for the breakfast buffet and that is all this hotel does is the minimum.

They did some “sprucing up” since my last stay here. Long gone is the grandeur of the old JW, but the job was sloppy and cheap. New carpets are already stained and the musty smell of cigarettes remains because they allow smoking in the rooms. I found an ozone machine they use for smoked in rooms on my floor.

The rooms are mostly pretty small, but some being larger than others. No refrigerator or microwave. There was an old LG LCD TV produced back in 2008 with a 32 inch screen in my room.

The bathroom is one of the smallest that I have encountered in hotels. I was nearly able to touch wall-to-wall with my arms extended in one direction and not fully extended my arms in the other direction. Of the four over the counter lights in the bathroom, there were three different color temperature bulbs. There was debris in the light fixture over the tub which was not fully fitted to the ceiling. The tub has cracked and chipped enamel. There is peeling paint in the bathroom. There are low-quality fixtures in the tub and sink. The shower faucet is a low flow bargain basement one and water will not reach past mid tub. The toilet is of the Sterling brand a cheap big box low quality toilet. The amenities are the basic Crabtree and Evelyn you find at all Doubletree hotels. They did provide a shoe cloth a shower cap and mouthwash in addition to the soap lotion and shower gel and conditioner. Only 3 large towels for a double room with two people, unless they decide to only leave you two which they will. Someone gets a wet towel in the morning unless you remember to call down every day and request more, but they will ignore your request.

There is one lamp on the desk and two nightstand lamps. On the headboards there is directional reading lights on each side. The windows do not open and they look like they have not been cleaned for at least a year. There is digital thermostat in the room, one of the cheapest available in the market but the room cools down to 65° easily. We noticed the ac is loud and dehydrating. Individual ceiling air conditioning units in the rooms.

There is no fan or working ventilation in the bathroom. This gives you absolutely no sense of privacy if someone else is in the room. It also means no ventilation and fogged up mirrors unless you leave the door open. No real place to hang towels and if you shower at night and in the am, you have wet towels to use.

They put me on an honors floor. This means you get a plaque on the door that says honors, nothing else, not even an ice machine. Because it is a very old hotel, there does not appear to be a way to get fresh air to the rooms and the Windows do not open which explains the reason for the persistent musty smell of smoke throughout the hotel. To be honest, my specific room did not have a noticeable smell of smoke.

My ice bucket was the standard tiny bucket you get at the Doubletree hotels now, sans plastic bag, par for the course here. The bucket and two glasses were thrown in the cabinet under the TV. There is an old dirty smelly coffee machine in the room you can fill with the sink water. No plug on the desk, you will have to crawl under the desk and plug into the strip there. There are about 85 channels with HBO for the TV.

Light infiltration from the hallway and the curtains was bothersome and the non dimming light from the clock did not help. Pillows were hot (flipping the pillow did not good with these) which did not make for a great night. We experienced a morning slam fest from people letting their doors close hard on the last morning. It is funny how people seem to feel once they are up, so should everyone else. Rooms on the eighth floor were fairly quiet from the road and polite neighbors during this stay.

Don't believe comments from management that proclaim they reach out and try to make things right. You have to waste your time complaining to them for just about everything. If you don't they don't care, they don't “reach out” (you reach in). Whatever they do does not make their neglect, and lack of cohesive management skills “right”.

One last thing, don't trust their promises. I had to stay on them in the weeks that followed to make sure they did what they promised. If you have any issues here, always take names, dates and times. Try to get any promises in writing.

Room Tip: Hard to choose a good room if hotel is booked. Either way, choose a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stompper
I do apologize we did not meet your expectations during your visit. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to reach out to me.