“Great property, great location”

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #33 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Great property, great location”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here recently for 4 nights on business. This is a great property, what you would expect of the JW brand. Rooms have an upscale feel, and service was exceptional. The hotel is right across the street from the Lenox MARTA station, a real convenience when coming in from the airport. They have a hotel shuttle service to take you back and forth to local offices which is also very convenient. And of course all Buckhead restaurants and shopping are nearby, although not everything is necessarily in "walking distance" depending on the weather, and how much you enjoy walking.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
New York, NY
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days last week while accompanying my sister in Atlanta for a conference.

The Staff - Wonderful, polite, willing to help at all times, from the front desk to the housekeeping personnel, to the shuttle drivers that will drive within 2 miles of the hotel, the people who work here are top notch.

The Room - Clean, comfortable, roomy for a room in a major city (I'm from NYC, the rooms at the hotels here are about a quarter of the size, so...) The bed was comfortable, though the down pillows aren't my favorite.

The Fitness Center - Great machines with TV's attached to them. It had everything I needed, elliptical, treadmills, stairmaster, bicycles, fitness orb balls, and weight machines.

The Mall - Where I spent most of my time, I have to say no matter what store I walked into, I was greeted with a warm smile and a friendly hello.

I felt very comfortable in this hotel and the surrounding areas, even the taxi drivers we encountered during our stay were far more courteous than anyone I would encounter in NYC.

I would give this five stars, but if not for the drastically reduced rate, the room is quite expensive, and there is no wifi in the room, you have to connect to wifi in the lobby. Not a super big deal, but it would be nice to use wifi in the room too. For the price of the room, you'd think they'd let you connect for free. That is my only quibble with the hotel. And I'm not sure what happened during our stay, but the second floor restaurant was closed, so I ate in the lounge for breakfast. Good tasty fresh food, but it cost way too much money for one person. And a bottle of water was over $6.

Other than that, I think it's a great place to stay, as long as your company is paying for it.

Room Tip: To avoid noise, we chose a room on a higher floor. And, another tip, the fitness center has a water...
3 Thank DJYankees
DC_FINEST
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My honey brung me here for a 24 hour trip to Atlanta an when we arrived here i was speechless.Very lovely hotel connected to Lenox mall(this girly loves to shop) so I was excited. Comfy beds and impeccable service. Female bartender with the blonde bob made me the best patron margarita! Thank you JW Marriott for your wonderful hospitality. I will be back!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank DC_FINEST
Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Super clean place. Very nice staff. Good location, only 1.5 blocks away from the MARTA train. Glad it was for work and I wasn't paying for it!

• Stayed March 2012
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I am currently staying at this hotel for a meeting. It has been great! My room is on the 16 th floor with a city view and is very quiet although I am right next to the ice machine. The decor is more mid-century modern meets hotel chic with a beautiful flat screen and a small but well lit bathroom. The staff has been very warm and gracious. My dinner of roasted beet salad followed by the chef's take on shrimp and grits was good. My waiter, though over whelmed, was very attentive.
The cons: trying to get into the complex from the metro is not easy. I am a proponent of public transportation and use subways, etc when feasible so when I came to ground level, I saw the hotel- surrounded by a beautiful iron fence. Hint: walk to the right side which is shorter.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed here on business and, while the stay was OK, I did not think it was up to JW standards.

The hotel must have been undergoing some renovations/ construction or something because it was incredibly awkward to access. If driving (as I was), you had park in the garage, go down a level, walk through some office building, go outside, go back inside another building, go up a couple of levels, and then finally you arrived at the front desk. The lobby was little more than a small hallway, which, again is not what I expect out of Marriott's flagship brand.

The biggest issue that I had with the hotel though was that they do not have Wifi. What kind of premium hotel does not have wifi? It was extremely annoying to have to actually sit at the desk in the room to do anything on my laptop. Also annoying that I could not connect my iPad to the internet. On top of this, they charge a ridiculous price (per usual) for the wired internet connection. Not great for business.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Ga.
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Let me start this by sharing that I'm a Marriott Platinum Rewards member. I spend a lot of nights in Marriott properties ranging from Fairfield to Ritz-Carlton. We recently (March 16, 17, 2012) stayed at this newly renovated hotel. Basically, Marriott has turned a once very fine, up-scale business hotel into a Courtyard on steroids. Our room (an upgrade) was no better than my typical night in a Courtyard. And their restaurant (Nox Creek Southern Grill) is just a Courtyard Bistro and it is NOISY! We stayed here a couple of years ago when it was a real upscale hotel. But that has now changed. Sorry Marriott but I can't recommend JW Marriott Buckhead.

Room Tip: high with a city view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple