“Welcome back”

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #29 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Any of y'all get upgraded as TA contributors? I never do. Anyways had a package deal hard to beat. Double room. Valet included. Breakfast for 2. 25 off dinner at select restaurant. 25 mall gift card.
OK. Got larger room for 5 bucks more. Corner room. Nice. Cold AC which blows on one bed. Clean. Spiffy. Bathroom has shower and tub. Not connected! Towels were fair. Not the fluffiest. It was quiet. I asked for quiet room.

PROS: luxurious. Connected to Lenox mall. Ritz Carlton friendly service. Indoor pool although room its in was HOT. 2 mile radius shuttle- see below for issues with that. Restaurant on site.

CONS: another hotel that dings u 12.95 for Internet. Includes long distance in US though. That's a charge every day which allows connection for three devices. If you don't have breakfast package it's 23 for the buffet. Which is fair. Nothing special. Always took a long time to get juice or coffee refills. No bottled waters in rooms like some higher priced hotels. The shuttle: first come first served. We called. Got in. Some rude group jumped in saying they called first. Then waited till their whole party came down. Not ready? They should have told that group to wait. We were ready. We were ready to come back from eating. Called. Waited 15 minutes. We saw him drive by. He claimed by phone we weren't there. BS. He said he'd come back. After waiting another 20 minutes, we walked back. So you really can't count on this service. parking is 30.

Overall would stay again. But Get the package with valet and breakfast included.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cognac62

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Flew into Atlanta for 4 day meeting at JW Marriott Buckhead in Atlanta and kudos to the management and staff for a great stay. I had had a 12 hour travel day from CA and once I arrived, they took great care of me. Starting with a call to the hotel for directions to see if I should take a cab or hoof it from MARTA. Easy. Hotel is right across the street from MARTA, literally, just a walk across the street so that was nice.

Danielle set me up in a great room, upper floor with a view of Atlanta skyline and tons of room to work and relax. Even though it was almost 10, I went to work out in one of the best exercise rooms I've seen in a hotel. Weight area was a bit crowded with machines, but great selection and looked brand new. Worked out all three nights.

Bed was super comfortable and the rooms very quiet.

Too late for dinner that first night but the next evening I had room service - shrimp and grits which were phenomenal. Grits w/ gruyere cheese, onions, tomatoes, and perfectly cooked jumbo shrimp - along with a glass of wine. Still thinking about that meal. I think food in Atlanta is among the best anyway - I had nearly all my meals at the meeting I attended and the food was great. There are several good restaurants nearby (went to one Truffle(?) one night) and the hotel is adjacent to the Lenox Mall with a nice food court and other dining options.

I cannot say enough about the hospitality of the staff, food service, front desk, concierge, bell staff - any request I had was attended to immediately and pleasantly. Thank you for a stay that was technically work, but relaxing enough to be part vacation.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CMFM
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We had a very pleasant stay at JW Marriott Buckhead, in Atlanta. The hotel is situated in a great Buckhead neighborhood connected to the main mall, so there is plenty to do around there. Also, there are a lot of good restaurants in the area and the subways is near. It’s safe at night so we were able to explore the city. Standard size rooms, renovated and simple traditional décor. A little boring at night but plenty of spots around to enjoy yourself. If you ask for an advice from Rory the Concierge, he knows the area very well of all the sights and entertainment. Some of the necessities were missing like a spa, but again, they will find you the best places close by and they will provide you transportation to reach them. We will absolutely return to this hotel if we get a decent price, because of the location and the pleasant staff.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Front desk, valet and bell staff were top notch. Shelf missing in the shower (you could see the anchors still in the tile), forcing wife to use the floor for her stuff...yuck!

Otherwise, the facility was clean and well taken care of. Breakfast was better than most Marriott buffets for the same price. Service was spotty down there, though. No dinner service at the restaurant on Sunday night, so you have to eat at the bar. The bartender was a bit rough, but accomodating to all requests, bringing our food quickly.

Parking is ridiculous, but that is the game when hotels participate in Priceline. (We did not Priceline this hotel).

Room Tip: The xx10 rooms have a little extra space and a great view of downtown.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank schwa757
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The hotel is nice refurbished, the valet, check inn staff were awesome. The bar staff was horrible, rude. The hotel rooms were nice. But not ring taken care of. Overall not bad only paid 80+tax. Priceline. Parking is a whopping 35 doallars ridiculous even by 5 star hotel standards

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank JetSettersCandT
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed at the JW with my girlfriend for the Yankees/Braves series June 11-13. This place is classy. I was greeted and taken care of before I even walked through to door by the valet attendants. Checked in smoothly, and then off to the parking garage since on principle I cannot pay someone to park my car. You use your hotel key card to get into the garage, and parking was always available when we stayed. Through one set of doors from the garage an your in the lobby. We had a great room, great view, with everything clean and even with the extra towels we requested when I reserved online. The bed was insane, literally the most comfortable thing I've ever slept on. We actually overslept the first morning due to this, which we remedied with a wake-up call the next morning. Bathroom and shower area was great, my girlfriend enjoyed having a vanity mirror for all of her needs. The quality was great, but for me the biggest selling point of the hotel is its so close to a MARTA station. Maybe a 3 minute walk to the station, and only 1 street crossing and you're there. I'm not sure if it's normal, but from our hotel, going through MARTA, then getting to Turner Field, took us around 30-40 minutes. I couldn't imagine ever parking at the stadium and going to a game, there is just nothing that can beat having a MARTA right beside your hotel. Now as for my girlfriend, the access to the Lenox Mall through the JW was the ultimate experience. She's an avid shopper, and we can walk through the lobby, never stepping foot outside, and 150 yards later we're standing in the middle of the mall. Shopping is great, and we also ate lunch and a small dinner before a game at the mall food court. They have your typical mall food, as well as waiter served, sit down restaurants. Bottom line, if I am staying in Atlanta, Braves game or not, I will be staying here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony C
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I'm a frequent business traveler and a Marriot Rewards member so I'm fairly well versed on hotel standards and very familiar with the Marriott standards.

Unfortunately, on day three of my stay at the JW Marriott Buckhead my son and daughter decided to leave both ipod and cell phones in the room. While I would never do the something like that myself I can understand why kids wouldn't be concerned about their personal items in their locked hotel rooms. Well, much to our surprise both items were stolen from our LOCKED hotel room. Thank God we put the laptops and iPads in the safe. Upon reporting the claim I learned that unless you leave your personal items at the FRONT DESK the hotel bears NO RESPONSIBILITY for what may happen to your possessions. Given I travel 80% of the time its highly unlikely I will take time to take all of my personal items to the FRONT DESK for safe keeping. That said, I will be looking for a new hotel chain for my business travels going forward. My stay at this Marriott in March started off pleasant enough with clean rooms, pleasant atmosphere, etc.

It's ironic that this happened in an Atlanta hotel because just about three years ago I had a similar incident where I had a Sony PSP taken from my room but fortunately in that case Security retrieved it from a hotel staff member (housekeeping) and had it shipped to my home.

In the case of my sons Droid phone and my daughters iPod no such recovery has occurred. I strongly suggest if all of your valuables won't fit in the safe you should probably stay somewhere other than the JW Marriott Buckhead. It's not worth the inconvenience to have to worry about your possessions in a national hotel chain. Isn't that part of why we pay for upscale accomodations? So we DONT have to worry about staff stealing from the guests?

Room Tip: Take all of your valuable with you when you leave the room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family