“Great location!”

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #29 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 November 2013

If you want to be in Buckhead for a reasonable price, this is a great place to stay. Hotel has a modern business traveler feel, but that was ok even though I was there for leisure. Staff were friendly, room was clean. Room had a nice view of downtown Atlanta. Room didn't have a lot of character, and bathroom looked a little dated (dark green faux marble), but it was clean and did the trick. I had room service a couple of times, and it was good.

The location was the best part! It's attached to Lenox Square Mall and is across the street from a Houston's. It was also within a few minutes' drive of all that Buckhead has to offer. In a low traffic time, it was only about 20 minutes from ATL.

One small complaint I had was how difficult it was to enter the darn hotel driveway! Since the hotel is sort of in an odd location behind a mall, there's a lot of walls, parking lots, driveways, one-ways, etc., so it's hard a little hard to get in and out of.

Regardless, I give this hotel a solid rating, and, if I had to come to Atlanta, I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: You can hear the MARTA train a little if you're on a lower south facing floor like I was. It di...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for your recent visit and review. I am happy you found our location convenient for your needs and appreciate the feedback. I am sorry that you had difficulties locating the hotel and will be sure to take a second look at the signage around the mall perimeter directing our guests to the hotel. You can be certain that I will take your comments regarding the guest room into consideration during our next guest room reinvention. Thank you for letting us know. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay this past weekend at the J.W. Marriott. I would like to thank the GM Mike Giamundo and Pam for making my recent stay possible. Whenever my travels bring me to Atlanta the J.W. will be my first choice based off stellar guest service alone. I was checked-in by Dionne who was professional, pleasant and made the process a breeze. I like the smell of this hotel, not sure if it is a mild air freshener they are using but it is a subtle pleasing scent. The room was spacious and nicely decorated with modern amenities and an amazingly plush king-size bed (I slept like a baby). The bathroom was very spacious and nicely decorated as well. I was on the 16th floor which had a stellar view of Buckhead and downtown Atlanta. This hotel is connected to Lenox Mall which I love because I was able to do a little shopping and grab a bite to eat without going outside. There is also a Jacuzzi and indoor pool which was awesome to visit after a day of sightseeing. I also liked how housekeeping took initiative to deliver clean towels before my check-out without me requesting. The small things go a long way. I requested room service for breakfast and it was delivered early, hot and was delicious. What a refreshing way to start the day overlooking the city with a cup of hot chocolate. The only thing I would suggest is to add grits to the room service breakfast menu. The fire alarm went off during my stay and I had to start down the stairs but luckily it was a false alarm and my slumber in the luxurious King bed continued. Hey, at least I'm familiar with the exit plan for my next stay(Safety 1st: where ever you are, review your exit plan folks). I didn't get a chance to partake but the bar looks amazing and looks like a great place to have a cocktail and was not loud or distracting at all. The floor I was on was very quiet as well. The elevators are fast and I never had to wait a long time. I can't wait to stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room facing downtown Atlanta or Buckhead.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Wow – thank you for your stellar comments and kudos. It was our pleasure to help make your stay an exceptional one. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire staff and especially Pam and Dionne. I do apologize for the alarm but am glad you recognize that safety is our number one priority. I am happy you were able to return to your peaceful slumber without too much trouble. Pam and I will look forward to your return and will have a cup of hot chocolate ready for you. I bet we can find some grits as well!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I spent just one evening but enjoyed the views and meal service during my stay. The hotel did suffer a false fire alarm in the middle of the night which was unfortunate. The management did their best to handle the situation well and to ensure guest comfort and safety which I appreciate. The meeting space was comfortable and the conference food was above par for my expectations. I was pleasantly surprised and would definitely plan another meeting in this venue. I recommend a low floor though just in case of the fire alarm.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide comments for your stay. I am glad to know you enjoyed your guest room view and meal service during your meeting. I am sorry that the alarm went off during your visit but glad to learn you felt it was handled professionally by our team. The safety of our guests is our number one priority but our next greatest mission is for our guests to enjoy a comfortable and peaceful stay. I thank you for recognizing this and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Enjoyed the room, big and spacious.
Hotel is literally in the mall so lots to do and shopping in walking distance.
Restuarant in lobby had terrific options and was extremely crowded which was a positive.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thanks for your post and nice comments. I’m glad you enjoyed our dining options and our convenient location. I hope you will plan to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Overall the hotel is in pretty good shape, nice, clean and the rooms are of a good size, but soundproof is not one of its characteristics. If you add that to the fact that it seems to be a destination for people willing to get drunk in its ballrooms and then party in the room you have the perfect combination for a no-sleep night (while you try to explain to your daughter all the sort of obscenities she is hearing).

I have just spent two nights in it and in both we have been able to sleep from 10 to 12 pm (since we put our daughter to sleep until the party finished somewhere else), and then from 2/3 to 9. Both nights security has had to intervene (good for the hotel), but that does not mean anything in terms of sleep quality.

I think the hotel should be more careful distributing guests booked for parties in the ballrooms in several single floors and letting families willing to spend the night sleeping in some others.

I personally do not thing I will be back. Is not a cheap hotel not to be able to sleep.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you very much for your visit. I am truly sorry about the noise disturbances you incurred during your stay. We typically attempt to block our parties with guest rooms reserved on one or two floors of the hotel when we know they have also reserved a block of guest rooms. Unfortunately, we are not always aware of all of the individual rooms that may be attending a specific function. Our number one mission is for our guests to have a comfortable and peaceful nights rest and for this reason we do have a noise policy in place for the hotel. You can rest assured that I will personally follow up with our security team to ensure they are following through with our procedures. Once again, I am very sorry and I do hope we have an opportunity to regain your trust and confidence by visiting us again.

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Immediately upon getting out of my car I had a gentleman approach me ask me why I parked in front of the hotel, once I told him that I had a reservation and needed to check in be proceeded to follow me inside the hotel. Inside was no help or better the lady behind the counter was rude......I was checking in with a friend's and family rate for the weekend Thursday thru Sunday Nov.14-17 anyway I didn't have the necessary documentation..... now mind you I am a woman of color but there was a woman same color as myself behind the counter she was once again VERY rude she just looked at me and said well you can get the form sent to you or either stay at the regular rate. So I walked away from the counter to make a call to my mom who is a Marriott employee couldn't get her on the phone so I walked back over to the counter to let the lady know my decision she had walked away from the and was standing in the walk way talking to another employee she made no move to come back over to the counter to assist me which I thought was rude. I choose to stay at the regular rate until my mom could send the appropriate form but someone else ended up checking me in because the lady who started working with me refused to return to the counter to finish what she started. I will not recommended this hotel to anyone. I normally enjoy staying at the J.W. my fiance proposed to me at the J.W. Marriott in Orlando, but this one in Atlanta does hold up to that standard. I will be here until I check out on Sunday Nov. 17, I hope it gets better. Not happy right Now!!!!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LeNedra I
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I reviewed this hotel last week and it was since removed. I have to assume management requested that, however I feel if you tell the truth it should be posted. I checked in last Monday at a 199.00 rate. I asked to stay on a second night and was told repeatedly there was no chance of that and they are oversold. So I packed my bags and left for work. At 9:15am I checked for a room at a Marriott in the Atlanta area and saw they had rooms available on the Marriott web site at 399.00! Turns out they were not oversold, they just did not want me at the rate I was paying if they could get more. Anita said to tell me I could come back at 399.00. Funny thing is, I would have stayed if they told me the new rate, but after packing up and leaving only to find that there are rooms available, I was not going back. The hotel is okay, very convenient, but not worth it to stay at if this is the way they treat repeat clients. I did tell them I am Lifetime Platinum Rewards member and was told that 60% of the guests at this hotel have this status so it was no help at all. I went to the Marriott Residence Inn close by for 169.00 and it was totally fine. And now I see no points were awarded for my one night stay at the JW. Between that and removing my review, I do not feel this Marriott fits the "brilliant" way most of the chain treats clients. I will never stay there and will go to the Intercontinental or W in the future. Very disappointing, very not Marriott feel.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel that values the client
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank frequentflyergirl

I would like to thank you for your recent stay and for your loyalty as a Lifetime Platinum Rewards member. We sincerely value your patronage. I want to apologize that we did not have rooms available for a second night stay at the time you inquired. I personally followed up with our revenue management team and learned that our occupancy was fluctuating on Tuesday morning and we truly were not able to accommodate your request prior to your departure. Had we know that there would be availability at the time of your request we would have gladly extended your stay. I appreciate receiving feedback from our guests, both positive as well as any opportunities to improve our service so that we can exceed our guests’ expectations. I’d be happy to look into why your points have not credited if you would be so kind as to contact me your rewards number. I sincerely apologize for your experience and inconveniences and hope that you will consider visiting the JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead again.