“We Love Buckhead”

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #27 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were in ATL for a baseball game, Braves v. Angels, and the JW had a great rate for the weekend. The property was very nice and the room was nice and large. We were able to enjoy the concierge lounge which was nice but the food was just so, so. The hotel is adjacent to Lenox Square mall in Buckhead so if you like to shop then this hotel is for you. It's within walking distance to awesome shops and fabulous restaurants!

Room Tip: Corner rooms had nice large windows but ours didn't have much of a view other than Macy's.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FLIslandGirl
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for your recent visit. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the great weekend rates to attend the Braves game and had the opportunity to enjoy the concierge lounge. I appreciate your comments regarding the food in the concierge lounge. I will be certain to share your comments with our culinary team as we strive for excellence. I do hope you will plan to visit again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Very good location in the middle of Buckhead shopping attractions, although the hotel is difficult to get into and out of due to heavy traffic and poor routing. Rooms were very nice, but AC needs to be a bit cooler. Excellent restaurants in the area so we did not eat at the hotel, but did use Starbucks coffee station in the lobby. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMD_930

Thank you for your post. I am pleased to know you enjoyed the convenience of the hotel. I appreciate your comments regarding the Air Conditioning and will have our engineering staff check the room thermostats to ensure they are operating efficiently. Thank you for sharing.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Let's just say that I have been a loyal Marriott guest since the early 80s, even staying with them whilst I was an employee of Holiday Inn Corporate. This stay put an end to my loyalty. The property is beautiful and the staff has all the manners. It goes down hill from there. The first room given to us was very nice except that it smelled like a dead mouse! I called and they moved us to a smaller room, non corner, near the elevator (all things I asked to not have!). The room was fine and we settled in. We had hoped to sleep in but at 6 AM we were awakened by loud voices (men and women). We thought it was outside or in the hall or by the elevators. We waited to see if the noise would end and it didn't. So at 6:45 I called the front desk and explained the situation having figured out it was the room next door. They said they would send up security. I said no, I don't want any blow back on us, just move us. I was assured that they handle this all the time and that they would move the people. Being annoyed, I accepted. At 7:15 the noise had not ended so we called again getting a different front desk person who told me a different story. At this point I slipped on some clothes and went to the front desk to explain the situation and try to find a solution. I was told that the room next door had been allowed to CHECK-IN EARLY at 6 AM and that it was 3 men to which I explained that there were women in the room as well which apparently came as a shock to the Manager. Repeatedly I was told how sorry Marriott was for this inconvenience. Their solution was to move us to a PURE room as compensation (along with 5000 marriott points). Honestly all we wanted was to get some sleep/rest so I agreed. Once awakened in the morning I don't get to go back to sleep! While these PURE rooms are nice, they aren't worth 2 times the price as the air purifier is a stand alone unit that is loud as it has to move air... save your money. The fact that they let 3 guys (plus women) that had been out all night partying check in early at 6AM shows a total lack of judgement, and respect / valuing of other guests and does not reflect well on the "class" of the property.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else in Buckhead. Hilton, Hyatt, Intercontinental, FourSeasons
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bruce M
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you so much for your loyalty to Marriott and your feedback. I am glad you found our hotel to be beautiful and enjoyed our staff. I am however disappointed to learn of your overall experience and wanted to let you know have shared your comments with our team. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to re-gain your trust and confidence and reconsider visiting us again in the future

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The staff at the JW Marriott in Buckhead (Atlanta) are incredible. From the moment our group of ten that included 5 ten and twelve year olds arrived, the staff were genuinely courteous and friendly. The hotel is lovely and located perfectly (near both Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza) in the Buckhead area. The courtesy van driver, Richard, was especially helpful and just a phone call away. From the time we arrived I never got behind the wheel! The hotel rooms are spotless, the beds are comfortable, and atmosphere is truly Southern charming.

Room Tip: Since we had 5 children around the age of 10, we requested connecting rooms with double beds. Most c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed overnight for a business trip and was rather unimpressed. There was nothing notably bad about the hotel but it seemed to be lacking in elegance. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the service was nice but there was just not spark in the hotel itself.

I arrived in the early afternoon and the only restaurant that was open was in the bar so my lunch ended up being upscale bar food. Dinner was hosted by the meeting sponsor and served by the hotel. It ended up being a fiasco. It was supposed to consist of soup, salad, & entree. Some people were served all 3 while others only received soup or salad. Steaks were not cooked to proper temperatures and when they were sent back several people had to wait for over an hour to have there entree replaced.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel if you need an overnight stay but I would not ever consider it a destination and I would definitely eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for your candid posting. While I am pleased that your guest room was comfortable and the service nice, I was disappointed to learn your experience at our hotel was missing the "spark". We pride ourselves on exceeding our guest’s expectations as well as providing exceptional service with delightful chef-crafted menus and food. You can be certain that I will personally follow up on your service experience. I do hope you will give our dining options another chance in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was my fifth and best stay to date at JW Marriott Buckhead in Atlanta. From John and his team at Valet to Michael and his team at the front desk, everyone was very helpful to my needs and provided the best service I've had in a long time. I'll be staying there again when I get back from Afghanistan. Thank you Team JW Marriott Buckhead! Army Tom

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times. It is a very nice hotel but the elegance was not what it has been in Previous visits. When I arrived, the valets seemed annoyed that we did not pay for valet parking. On previous visits, they were extremely gracious and did not mind that we self parked. Hotel reception was very professional but again, something was off. I am not slamming the hotel, just noting that something has changed. I ask the management to please review your previous management style and return to that management style? My wife also commented that something had changed. It is still a very nice hotel and the rooms are very clean and pleasant.

Room Tip: I have not found any room that is unpleasant
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business